Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 01-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Rick.
If it is riding too low, the valving won't be doing it's job.

Les is THE MAN when it comes to Gas Gas suspension.
You can actually talk to him, unlike the "big box" tuners.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:57 PM

This maybe useful to people in the northeast like skiddad, my gasser has suspension done by factory connection in Rochester NH. The previous owner had it done by them and although he is a lot faster than me he is also a little lighter. I must say it's the best I've ever ridden.

My husky on the other hand is close to the worst, it's stock. It won't track over a single rock, just deflects off of everything.
If I keep the husky I'm sending the parts to Les, I hear he works magic with the Zokes.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:16 PM

For anyone in the southeast (North Carolina) looking to stay local, Bruce Triplett of Bruce's Suspension knows the Gasgas suspension pretty well. He has two Gasgas's of his own, so he spent the time to figure out the 'Zokes.

He's done all my KTM RFS bikes, and also my '04 300EC. Works quite nice.

Bruce's Suspension F&R revalve-Zokes & .48 fork springs, Ohlins & 5.8 rear spring, Scotts damper, Hyde skidplate, Clarke tank, Knight powervalve cover, LTR jetting/waterpump impeller/exhaust spigot, Wiseco piston, ICW reinforced KTM RFS Fluidyne radiators, Hammerhead shift lever, GoFasters seat, Allen hardware conversion, UFO LED tail light, Dunlop 756, Michelin X11, and TN street plated....killer trail ride machine
Old 01-25-2009, 10:14 PM

I've uploaded some photos of me on the Grinding Stone MX enduro cross section from yesterday's race.

Rock Garden:

Note the full compression of the fork over the rock garden and log hop, as well as the compression of the shock over the concrete pipe step-up (at low, enduro cross speeds). Out of 300 photos taken, I couldn't find any bikes that showed the same occurrence.

Log hop:

Second pipe step-up for the rear end:

Old 01-27-2009, 06:31 PM

The boingers are sent. ($53 shipping via the main UPS Customer Center)

I await Magic.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:15 PM

I ride GGs and my brother Huskys, I work on them both. GG Zokes have too much free bleed, thats why you use up the travel like that. They also lack high speed rebound. Husky TE Zokes seem to come with gear oil in them, they are much better with an oil change. The 2-stroke WR250 Husky Zokes were very harsh in rocks. Les can make it all good.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 AM

I spoke with Les over the phone. He looked at my pics and asked if I was going fast through those sections and if the bike was bottoming. I told him I was going "enduro-cross slow" and that I was unaware of it bottoming. He wasn't to concerned at that point.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 PM

Uh-oh. Les e-mailed me to send me a copy of his "worksheet" (weight, skill, terrain, etc). He mentioned that even though I removed my quickie bleeder valves and replaced them with mini-screws, and even wrapped them in plastic and tape, they still leaked all over the place.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 PM

Les gave me the pre-re-valve call today.

He's going to move me up one tick in springs front and rear. He discussed the problems with the '05 Zoke forks that he would address (free bleed in the rebound and some mid-valve issues). The Ohlin shock was going to get some rebound work as well as some attention to compression valving.

They'll be in the mail tomorrow barring any mishaps.

He also said that although my fork tubes were okay, he has found that many Zoke owners crank down those three screws on the lower clamps. He said that was he does is to tighten the middle screw to 8 foot-pounds and then to take the lateral screws to just above hand-tight (or else you'll be chasing the torque as you tighten one side then tighten the other then re-tighten the other, rinse and repeat). The upper clamps are good at 10, 12, 14, whatever.

Rick
Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

GMP & others: I too have noticed now that I have more time on it that while my suspension is great crawling over rocks, it blows thru the travel too easy at hier speeds/harder hits. it already has heavier springs in it which ought to be OK for me (previous owner weighs about the same). so there is no DIY cure for this, it has to have a revalve?