Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:56 AM

Default Powering gps

Hi all,
Currently I have a gps mounted to the handlebars on my 2018 and connected to the headlight wiring. I thought this would be enough power to charge the gps which has an inbuilt battery whilst I am riding. This is not the case however as it uses more power than the charge current from the lighting provides.
Just wondering if I put a switch in the circuit to turn the headlight off does anyone know if this would mean that more power would then be available to charge the gps. I really don't want to run it straight off the battery as I am already having starter issues and don't want to add additional current draw directly to the battery.
Any help n advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jc

Old 09-05-2018, 07:17 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox76y View Post
Hi all,
Currently I have a gps mounted to the handlebars on my 2018 and connected to the headlight wiring. I thought this would be enough power to charge the gps which has an inbuilt battery whilst I am riding. This is not the case however as it uses more power than the charge current from the lighting provides.
Just wondering if I put a switch in the circuit to turn the headlight off does anyone know if this would mean that more power would then be available to charge the gps. I really don't want to run it straight off the battery as I am already having starter issues and don't want to add additional current draw directly to the battery.
Any help n advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jc
Although I have no '18 bike (haven't even seen the wiring diagram), I'm afraid that if you draw more power than the charging supplies, you will drain the battery regardless of where you connect the load.
But generally speaking, if you turn off the lights there will be more power for other consumers. If the 18 is similar to my 15, you have approx 65W available.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 09-05-2018, 12:45 PM

Can you find the specs for the GPS? It seems to need a lot more power than the usual hand held GPS units that can run on double A batteries.