Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:42 PM

Default Different veiw of weight

Ok. It's cold outside and a lot of snow on the ground. Didn't ride last weekend so had nothing to do to the bikes and I needed something to do. Most on this forum own a GasGas and know how well planted the front end is and how well they turn. My situation is I have a '11 300 Race. I also have a 09 250 sx KTM and a 2013 250 RR Beta. I owned the KTM 1st. Everything seemed ok till I bought the GasGas. The KTM front end was just loose. So after multiple revalves on the forks the KTM final got "ok". I then decided I would move my KTM bars full forward to put more weight on the front wheel and had positive results. I have now ridden my Beta once and went well for first ride. Front end felt a little loose compared to the GasGas. Decided to move my bars one more position forward for my next ride. The snow and cold came in..... Today with time on my hands I decided to weigh the front end with and without the rider.
Bike With Rider "Up near the Tank"
GasGas 124 180 200
Beta 117 177
KTM 110 170

Looks and feels like some of the GasGas weight is going to the right place. The GasGas really made me work on the KTM to make it better. I guess that is why I enjoy different brands. They all have good things to offer.

Warning: You may not want to repeat this experiment. A little bit of body position has drastic changes to the wheel weight. Easy to see when you get tired and sloppy how riding mistakes happen. This might mess with your head when you ride!

Old 01-09-2014, 10:02 AM

Cellar: That's a great comparison. Just so I understand it, the KTM is 10 pounds lighter on the front end than the Gasser?
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-09-2014, 03:44 PM

Great comparison; But I'm confused by the three entries for the GG and only two for the others.

Is the first entry the weight of each with no rider?

This would be the most relevant for a side by side comparison. invariably once a rider is added there is a large disparity in relevance unless the positioning on each bike is referenced from a known point (say rider's hips from steering stem).
Old 01-10-2014, 05:26 AM

Those are interesting numbers. I've often wondered what the weight bias on the Gasser was. It might help to explain the reduced sag numbers the bike seems to enjoy.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

shurely we should see the rear weights as well to see what portion of the weight is on the front, the gasser is heavier than the ktm so what we see here does not mean too much if for example the front is showing 124 and the rear showing 130 on the gg and the ktm is 110 and 100 rear
Old 01-10-2014, 10:07 AM

Smile

this extra weight , i believe is what makes the gasser feel so planted ,its maybe not as plush as my xcf 350 ,but at the same time its so confidence inspiring ,those few extra pounds really help put the power down and i have almost forgotton what its like for the front end to washout.
my two pence worth anyway
Old 01-11-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
shurely we should see the rear weights as well to see what portion of the weight is on the front, the gasser is heavier than the ktm so what we see here does not mean too much if for example the front is showing 124 and the rear showing 130 on the gg and the ktm is 110 and 100 rear
Excellent point, we need to see what the percentage of the bias is on the front. My sneaking suspicion is the GG will have a higher percentage, but I could be completely wrong.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:24 AM

I'm on cell so won't comment on everything
First number. Bike only. Second number. Me sitting normal. Third number on gasgas only me sitting forward. Only did the third number once to demonstrate magnitude of change

Comment on weight bias. Agree gasgas is heavier in the rear too but I do not think it negates the fact that extra weight on a front wheel creates a more planted front end. More mass on the same tire is more friction. Just a physics thing. Yea that extra weight in motion creates challenges when you want to change its direction.
For me the learning was I set up a different riding position based on bike. My old way was to set up each the same by feel (handle bars, seat, pegs). Now I worry about front wheel weight too. I used to do this some with rear wheel position but that has limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 AM

Weight is the reason I always went back to a 4 T. I was really happy to find out GasGss was a heavier 2T. I love the planted feel of the front end. My KTM 300 and I just didn't get along because of the unsure feeling of the front end. And from my understanding the GasGas is one of it not the best turning bikes there is.
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog EURO Factory Anti-Hop slipper clutch, GPR V4, Akropovic Full Ti Exhaust, 2013 suspension and wheels.
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500
Old 01-11-2014, 08:46 AM

Related topic
When I got my first gasgas I noticed that the front end would seem to drop more than my yz when jumping. I found at the time the gasgas pegs we more forward than the yz. Again more weight on front.

Someone have a 250f and a 250 two stoke to weigh? We can surely waste some more time on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk