Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:24 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Never deny an industry publication bike requests. All publicity is good, even the not so good stuff. People keep looking at me confused when I talk about Sherco, or GasGas, or TM, or Beta, but they all know KTM. You need the names out there in print where it matters to get exposure and then get sales. When I started riding dirtbikes, KTM was the test turds in all the west coast bike mags, although the Euro mags found them good. Now look at KTM. Exposure and marketing. Keeping the boutique bikes confined to a small group of enthusiasts does little to promote the brand and generate sales. Send a '14 GasGas and Sherco 2T and this time spend a little time getting the damn bike set up first. The '13 GasGas should have never went to test without that fork sorted first, among a few other things. As distributors and retailers you need to get pressure on the factories to spend some dollars to promote the brand. The latest effort at the 2014 Motorcycle show in my city by GasGas and Sherco was a complete f-ing joke, looked like flea market row. TM rocked it though, probably with even less budget.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 AM

Publications suffer huge pressure from manufacturers because of advertising. It's the same all over the world . I'm yet to read an article where the test rider says, in clear terms, bike X is better than bike Y . They can't . As an example I have no doubt in my mind the new "Husq-KTM-varnas" are way better choice for riding/racing than a KTM, suspension wise. I have not read a single publication where, bottom line, the new Husqvarna is a better pick than a KTM. They can't ! Usually they leave us with "another good option for dirtriders all over the world"... I do not blame them, their earnings come from advertising and they need to keep their jobs. I'm conscious enough not to judge bike A or B just for what's on a magazine but I have no doubts most people take magazine reviews in great consideration. This and the "sound of the bike's plastics" on a full advertising page or showroom floor takes advantage over real world important decision factors . I also agree with Clay, it's not nice when there's such a biased opinion when test riding a bike , I would not wast my time and money too. But I also think some advertising is needed, I'm sad to see that on 3 Portuguese bike magazines there's not a single GG image...since I can remember .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo737 View Post
Bormann says "it's a bit heavy innit?" The guy from BMW say " Vot? I yours guys riding bikes or pushing them?"

Bormann and mcgregor then rode the round the world of road where possible. 5 kg doesn't matter to most.
I like a sand cast motor, hd tubes, proper excel rims, big radiators etc etc. so I can continue to throw my bike off cliffs and ride it home.
There's a story going around that they approached KTM but have been refused. KTM claimed the maintenance cost and all the logistics associated with the 950's was not worth it . KTM also doubted Bormann would make it on the Road of Bones... Great bike the BMW
Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
There's a story going around that they approached KTM but have been refused. KTM claimed the maintenance cost and all the logistics associated with the 950's was not worth it . KTM also doubted Bormann would make it on the Road of Bones... Great bike the BMW
If you watched the series when it was on TV they talk all about it, it's no story going around. They first thought they were guaranteed the KTM's and were all set for them, then KTM pulled the plug and left them scrambling to BMW. I have a BMW and like them, but they were not their first choice for the first trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFast View Post
Send a '14 GasGas and Sherco 2T and this time spend a little time getting the damn bike set up first. The '13 GasGas should have never went to test without that fork sorted first, among a few other things.
I disagree with the statement of "fixing" the bikes before sending them to be tested. If the magazine talks about how great the suspension is but doesn't mention it's been worked on, that is not fair to potential buyers. They will expect something they are not getting off the floor.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM

I would not want to see my 11 300 six days on a scale....I have a bunch of "stuff" on it that, I would guess, makes it "porkie". I have the Voyager GPS with the nice anodized case, I have the "AirCell" sub tanks on the forks and I have the "Bulletproof" rear disk guard....jeez all that stuff probably adds 20 pounds to the bike. But the other day when I was out riding, (video in "Pictures and Video" section) I hit a tree and dropped it. I picked it up just like it was a skinny light weight KTM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Only thing porky about my gasgas is the rider. :-)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:50 AM

The only thing making me consider swapping rides from my 2010 EC 300 is the Husky 310. Great torque, decent trail chassis, much better fuel economy, and they are very affordable.

That being said my 300 is really nice, feels real light while riding and only realize how heavy it is when I am throwing it up on a stand, or pushing it up a hill.

I am at the point I will be putting some cash into it if I am going to keep it for a few more years, or let it go and start all over again.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
Publications suffer huge pressure from manufacturers because of advertising. It's the same all over the world . I'm yet to read an article where the test rider says, in clear terms, bike X is better than bike Y . They can't . As an example I have no doubt in my mind the new "Husq-KTM-varnas" are way better choice for riding/racing than a KTM, suspension wise. I have not read a single publication where, bottom line, the new Husqvarna is a better pick than a KTM. They can't ! Usually they leave us with "another good option for dirtriders all over the world"... I do not blame them, their earnings come from advertising and they need to keep their jobs. I'm conscious enough not to judge bike A or B just for what's on a magazine but I have no doubts most people take magazine reviews in great consideration. This and the "sound of the bike's plastics" on a full advertising page or showroom floor takes advantage over real world important decision factors . I also agree with Clay, it's not nice when there's such a biased opinion when test riding a bike , I would not wast my time and money too. But I also think some advertising is needed, I'm sad to see that on 3 Portuguese bike magazines there's not a single GG image...since I can remember .

I dont know if it was true, but my understanding is that KTM did not know if their new 950 would be able to make such a trip without having lots of mechanical issues.
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog EURO Factory Anti-Hop slipper clutch, GPR V4, Akropovic Full Ti Exhaust, 2013 suspension and wheels.
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500
Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwdc View Post
Only thing porky about my gasgas is the rider. :-)
10 four, haha!
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 01-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
That's too bad you refused a test bike. Even when they test a bike with their "surf" filters, anyone who is interested in one of the exotic bikes can view the quote up four what it is and gain valuable information about how the bike works.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Are you kidding? Do you have any idea of the damage DR did to GG, the GG dealers and to my business on the 2013 models? I'd rather have no opinion than a horrible opinion.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddenning View Post
Everyone here is slamming dirtrider cause they didn't like the way the Gasser were presented,however if you carefully listen to the review they did not hate the bike but the weight was a issue and that's a fact!! They did say that orange is not for everyone and for the rider that does not want to conform the gas gas is an option.As for turning them down on sherco i don't agree, If you are that confident in the product than let the riding world know!! Also give em a 14 gasser and let them note the advertised improvements over the 13s!!! BTW its well into the 14 model year and GGOR.US has not been updated in several months !! No info on the 14 models,no race report updates since may, and features of the 11,12 and 13 models?? you wanna sell bikes?? get your shit together,fix you website, stop with the dime store hood attitude on every review you don't like and get your bikes reviewed in as many mags as you can!!
Wow! Do you have any idea what DR did to our business? 2013 model sales absolutely died when that article came out. Dealers are asking me for rebates on '13s on a weekly basis. Dealers aren't ordering '14s because 13's still haven't sold. I don't really give a crap if you agree with my business decisions or not. Are you not smart enough to figure the mags out? When DR gave Beta the BOY but that same bike did not win the 300cc shoutout it should be obvious to everyone that has a brain that it is about advertising money. I can't spend $2000 a month with those guys so I will never win. You have no clue about what goes on behind the scenes that have totally turned me off from those rags. Here's what I am confident of....if you're too f'ing stupid to ride a bike to make up your own adult mine, then buy a KThusavarna. If you have enough confidence in your own ability and aren't effect by peer pressure then ride a GG or Sherco and make your own decision.
Yep you're right I'm behind on the website. I can't do website stuff so I have to pay someone to do it. I don't want to spend the money on that site just now. You have no clue what has gone on behind the scenes with me and GG since 2012. No one has bought a 2014 so there aren't any races to report on.
Dime store hood attitude? Are you serious? Number one I have the guts to be in this business in this economy. Number two I have the guts to take a stand on things that I disagree with. Number three I have been incredibly open with the users on this forum about the things that we deal with when other brands won't even acknowledge your business. There isn't much you could of accuse me of that would offend me more than your comments have. Thanks for your encouragement.