Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 05-18-2016, 02:14 PM

Anyway, this is the standard by others are compared with.

New GasGas to be presented in Eicma in november...

What are going to come on new EC?
Fuel injection is my bid.

Brasil!

Old 05-18-2016, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
N the huskies will cost more jakey boy! I detect some resentment in your post

Still a lightweight estart 150
No resentment here Craig.

They have the best marketing strategy around. They show constant refinement from year to year, and by starting with a bike that handled like a stick they have been sure to leave room for improvement

The cost, while insane, is somewhat relative. Their demand means that although you pay more up front, there is always a second hand market where you can move your used bike on with ease and at typical losses. On the other hand our bikes aren't worth shit to many, but we also bought them new for less than you can buy a used ktm. All boils down to what you're after at the end of the day.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:35 PM

KTM has a slight stranglehold on the market at this point. Now, they have done a great job of continuing to refine their bikes and aren't afraid to rest on their past success. But, my fear is that is they don't get some strong competition for other players, i.e. Yamaha, Beta and Gasgas, then eventually they'll begin to produce less quality, mass produced bikes.

In terms of their 2-strokes, I've owned the 200, 250, and 300 and they are good bikes, but are designed for a more broad range of riding styles. In other words, a Gasgas and Beta are specifically designed for what I would call woods or trail riding. They are comfortable in that element right out of the box and seem tailor made for that purpose. The KTM not so much. They're good in that element, but seem to be more ready made for the faster, 3rd gear on up Harescramble or GP type of riding.

My hope is that Gasgas and Beta will keep producing great woods bikes and keep KTM honest in the coming years.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:18 AM

Nothing stated for the electric Freeride, is it getting much acceptance by riders?
Old 05-21-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Anyway, this is the standard by others are compared with.

New GasGas to be presented in Eicma in november...

What are going to come on new EC?
Fuel injection is my bid.

My bet is that Sherco has the first injected 2T on the market.

I don't expect anything earth shattering from GG for a couple years. Granted they are rising up out of the ashes...they have a lot of catching up to do. Weight reduction mainly.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:35 AM

Yes. Weight reduction first.

GG would know better, but I suspect making the current chunky swing-arm more svelte (like KTM) and replacing sand casting with die casting would yield some significant pounds/kilograms. I have no handle on any benefits to be found in the frame, but if KTM can find weight reduction in theirs, so can GG.

With the Euro to Dollar ratio near parity, it presents opportunities to sell across the Atlantic.

Along that line, if you look at the MSRP of the 2017 KTMs ($8K to 9K for two-strokes), that makes me wonder if GG can re-establish that price differential advantage they had over KTM from several years ago.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
Yes. Weight reduction first.

GG would know better, but I suspect making the current chunky swing-arm more svelte (like KTM) and replacing sand casting with die casting would yield some significant pounds/kilograms. I have no handle on any benefits to be found in the frame, but if KTM can find weight reduction in theirs, so can GG.

With the Euro to Dollar ratio near parity, it presents opportunities to sell across the Atlantic.

Along that line, if you look at the MSRP of the 2017 KTMs ($8K to 9K for two-strokes), that makes me wonder if GG can re-establish that price differential advantage they had over KTM from several years ago.
New bike for me is coming next spring. Gas Gas in its' current form is not on the list. (and I know it is a lot to ask for a newly acquired company...so maybe in a few years).

The list of what I am looking at.

1. KTM/Husky
2. Beta both the RR and the X-Trainer....think the X, might be the ideal bike for here in Idaho.
3. Sherco (the no kickstarter is deal breaker though...DI might make up for it though)

Really a toss up between the Beta and the KTM/Husky.

Last edited by Mick; 05-23-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:34 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barossi73 View Post
The counterbalancer on the 2stroke models has potential,shame theyv discontinued the 200 tho
lets hope GG doesn't do the same a lot of people love 200's including myself.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:27 PM

Default KTM Big Bucks

KTM = Keeps Taking Money