Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:18 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Question ATF Oil ?

Any body using ATF OIL. ? Can you share pros and cons.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbucket View Post
I am using 50/50 Type F and 10w30 motor oil. I found with straight ATF that the clutch action was too abrupt, and with straight 10w30 the clutch would drag in gear. So I compromised with the blend.

However, this past week I was riding in an arena (flat track), and my clutch engagement was very abrupt with the 50/50 blend. I hadn't noticed it the last time I rode the bike, but the temperature was much cooler last week than it was in September. In short, I think that the thicker blend is better during warm months, and the thinner blend is preferred during colder months.

Experiment a bit with both, you can buy the cheapest stuff out there and change as necessary to get good test results. No harm from either type of oil.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:42 PM

Did you do your homework before mixing atf and motor oil? I'm pretty sure that is not a good combo and I doubt that they coexist with each other very well?
On another note I run Rotella T in all my bikes and have for years. Clutches last for ever no squalling no grabbing and no failures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2014, 06:02 PM

Plus 1 on the Rotella T . I changed to it when I put my Recluse in and it smoothed it out n it is inexpensive also !
Old 12-09-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbucket View Post
I've been using type F ATF for the last several years and haven't had any issues. Ran it for 100+ hours in my Katoom 300 XCW and run it in both our GG 200s and it's worked without a problem.

I do change the tranny oil every 8-10 hours whether it's been ridden hard or not - figure it's a cheap ($5) way to keep fresh fluid in there. It always comes out almost as clean as when it went in. I have close to 90 hours on my 200 now and the clutch hasn't given me any grief. Granted, I haven't pulled the basket to check everything, but 90 hours without slippage or issue, my guess is it's doing it's job.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:54 PM

I use ATF in 3 different bikes. Year round, flog the bejesus out of 'em...no problems. At $17.99/gal. I'll keep running it.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
Did you do your homework before mixing atf and motor oil? I'm pretty sure that is not a good combo and I doubt that they coexist with each other very well?
On another note I run Rotella T in all my bikes and have for years. Clutches last for ever no squalling no grabbing and no failures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did look into it upon the recommendation of another rider here. Haven't experienced any issues in the last year and a half, but then again, 40 hours is a short data set. It is only in the gear box and clutch, I can't see it doing any harm to the metal parts. Maybe the clutch fiber plates, but I can't say for sure. It's due for a change, so I'll swap it out with another quart of my 50/50 blend and go from there.

So far on the internet there aren't any statements to show irreparable damage, but I'll keep looking.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:21 PM

Use dexron vi for the highest spec.

From what I've found, people change oils because they have a mechanical fault with their bike. My problem is that I have a notched basket, this causes the clutch to groan and tug when slipping. The best oil for this is elf htx 740. But I know when I get a new basket after Xmas that any oil will suffice meeting the minimum specification required by the manufacturer.
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450
Old 12-12-2014, 04:26 PM

Rotella hear on the advice of Rekluse.... never going back...at 12.99 for 5 quarts its hard to beat the price....

ButI also change every ride.....