Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
Thanks. You've opened pandora's box - i am going to pick your brain some more.

1. The carb - boot interface wasn't too bad. The only fitment issue i had was that the boot at the bottom of the carb only made it to about 1/2 the width of the flange on the end of the carb. I used my heat gun to stretch it a bit, and it was fine. I don't know if that will take a set (i am hoping) or i'll have to do it everytime. That boot is 19 years old (according to the manufacturing date), and it's pretty stiff.

2. I'd be happy to buy and install a new airbox boot. What I am missing is what I need to update. (I did drill the six holes in the transformattion kit - i had to because the back plate is where the threaded rod screws to secure the air filter - please see http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....5&b=5&Action=O

the 2011 boot shows holes in the fiche, but no fasteners passing through.

3. What i don't see is what i need to upgrade to the new (2011) airboot. Here's the parts diagram for the 2011: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....&b=19&Action=O

I would be happy to buy part 1, part 2, ( i have part3, 5, 9, 10), part 11. what I am unsure about is into what does part 5 go? I didn't look too closely at my part 5, but i don't know how this works w/o seeing it.

The new style air filter is MUCH smaller than the old style air filter, so I am unsure against what the air filter face fits against in the new style airbox.

Any help/advice you can offer is solicited. having a fresh airbox boot would really make me happier - the old boot seems stiff and tired.

Thanks!

blitz
I suppose the stiff boot would cause issues. #5 is a pin used with the spring #9 & spring seat #10 that pushes against the inner rear fender and also the filter & cage to seal the filter against to the inner lip of the boot. What is needed is #1,2,3,4,5,9 & 10. The boot just fits into the front air box panel#14 with no hardware. # 11 are push pins for the lower lip of the side panels. The fiche shows holes in the boot but it doesn't have any, the GG fiche needs some work.

16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200

Old 04-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Thanks. THAT makes sense. Now I understand it. If the new airboot doesn't have holes, then that would enable the air filter face to seal against the smooth rubber.

I have all of the bits i need except the airbox boot. There are no boots in the country at this point, but i am waiting for the dealer to let me know when to expect one. I'll order when they call back.

I'll upgrade this to the new boot, and then the bike will be perfecto-mundo.

THANK YOU for your time with this. VERY helpful, and it probably cements my claim that I am an idiot.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
Thanks. THAT makes sense. Now I understand it. If the new airboot doesn't have holes, then that would enable the air filter face to seal against the smooth rubber.

I have all of the bits i need except the airbox boot. There are no boots in the country at this point, but i am waiting for the dealer to let me know when to expect one. I'll order when they call back.

I'll upgrade this to the new boot, and then the bike will be perfecto-mundo.

THANK YOU for your time with this. VERY helpful, and it probably cements my claim that I am an idiot.
I'm glad it helped. Good luck and post some pics!
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 04-08-2019, 11:31 AM

Default Almost done

hi Guys,

Well, the bike is almost done. Forks have new springs, seals, bushings. Shock has new spring, bushing, o-rings, teflon seal, seal head, and reservoir cap. New tires were installed, and the lights were wired (and work). New dirt tricks countershaft sprocket.

Because the old plastics were blue, i had quite a bit of blue stuff on the bike - carb air filter, hammerhead shift lever, front brake M/C perch mount, new blue G2 handguard plastics (which are 10 years old, but the old plastic worked, so i left it), crossbar pad. I think i'll just let them remain blue.

It started, rode it around the house a bit. I have to work on jetting - but that's for another day.

I don't have a image hosting account, so i uploaded what I could here.

Things to do.

1. Set rear sag. Close, but excessive. Front sag is good.

2. Wait for new airbox boot. The 19 year-old boot took a permanent set so it fits great, but that rubber is REALLY stiff. i'd like to update to the new style air filter. I have two new style air filters, two cages, and the anodized rod/spring assembly, so if i can score the boot, i'll remove the subframe, set the sag, and install the new airbox boot.

3. Change coolant and gearbox oil. Minor - i had to start another project.

So, i'll finish this up once the new airbox boot arrives.

Thanks for watching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg gas6small.jpeg (63.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpeg gas1small.jpeg (50.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpeg gas2small.jpeg (62.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpeg gas3small.jpeg (50.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpeg gas4small.jpeg (52.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-08-2019, 11:33 AM

Default Almost done

One last image - parked next to the kids' EXC 200s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg gas5small.jpeg (69.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Nice! The black plastic 2011 GG frame guards will help tidy up the frame in the boot area.
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
15' TW200
Old 04-08-2019, 06:41 PM

looks Great, thanks for sharing! You and Bandit are inspiring me by finding parts for your older bikes. Can?t wait to get moved and dive into mine.