Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default water pump?

Can I remove the water pump seal without removing all the coolant? Can I just lay the bike on it's side?

Sorry forgot this part: I have a 2005 EC200

Thanks

Last edited by nhrider; 08-07-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:27 AM

No, you will flood the transmission. Drain the coolant. If its Engine Ice or Evans (more$$) and you want to reuse it if its clean just save it in a jug.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:41 AM

Thanks.

I thought about it last night and that would make sense. That’s why I’m getting coolant in my oil. A little slow sometimes...
Old 08-09-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Screwed

Question.

Which way does the screw come out of the impeller? Also what do you use/do to stop the impeller from moving?

Thanks
Steve
Old 08-09-2007, 11:49 AM

The screw is an M6 RH thread and is threaded through the impellar(brass insert), then into the end of the pump shaft. It should also be loctited. If its not a new bike, I would take the side cover off and hold the shaft from the back. This way there will be no stress on the plastic gear if you need to apply a lot of force. My '00 and '07 came loose easy and '03 was a bitch. Better safe than sorry and all it costs is a side cover gasket. While your in there change to the LTR alloy impeller. Check the parts manual for reference dwgs.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:05 AM

Done!

The screw and impeller came off as one. Not sure if that was the correct way but it took hardly any pressure to get it off. My screw was M5 not the M6 and already had the alloy impeller.

Now I need to run some ATF through it to clean out the coolant/water. I already ran the bike once and changed the oil and it was still kind of milky with a grayish in color swirl. I'm "working" from home tomorrow so hopefully I can get this cleaned up and go riding this weekend.

Thanks for the help GMP! You're the man!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:10 AM

Yes, impeller and bolt come off together and I pulled a typo, it is an M5.

Water pump seal leaks are very rare on these bikes. The seal is a multi part ceramic/graphite high speed pump seal common in industry but not in the MC world. The shaft does not turn in the seal and it hardly ever wears out.

The reason I'm saying this is because its more common to get water in the oil from the trans/PV vent that drops between the frame and right rad. Any water crossings lately? Happened to me a couple times on my first '00 GG until I routed the vent into the airbox. If you have an '05+ with the tank vent nipple in the frame, use that for the trans vent, and a shorty cap vent line for the gas cap. Clean solution.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:14 PM

I did do a water crossing a couple of rides ago. It just had fresh oil and I change it every 2-3 rides but never thought about sucking up water. Hope I didn't cook her! I did search the forums and did come across the re-route of the trans/PV vent. I'll be doing that as well.

Thanks again!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:37 PM

It doesn't take much water to turn the oil cloudy. No worries as long as the oil was changed, not like sucking water and dirt into the motor. I'd bet that was the cause and the seal was fine.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:00 AM

Default Gotta change my water pump seal

I ride in the sand a lot, at high RPM. Water crossings are rare for me.

I have a 2005 Gas gas EC 250.

I bought a LTR alloy impeller and a new cover gasket and shaft seal.

My trans/PV vent tube is already routed up tword the tripple clamp. It actualy comes out just below my headlight. People I ride with tell me that my headlight is smoking sometimes when a little trendle of exhaust drifts out of there.

I am gathering that I still need to remove the screw from the plastic impeller. Does it have reverse threads or anything funkey like that ?

Will the seal come out in one piece, or will I wind up mangling it to remove it ? What order will the three separate pieces of the seal go in, or are they to be assembled together and installed as a single unit ? Does anyone have a photo or two ? My GG manual has a drawing, but its in michro writing. Is there a larger print version somewhere ? Are there any additional tips on this procedure ?

I love my Gas gas !!!