Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:09 PM

Default Bolts falling off everywhere!!!!

OK I finally got to take my bike out for more then 10 minutes. But lets first recap the first 10 minutes. Bike is a 2012 300 . First ten minutes equal gas tank bolt on top. Gonzo. Oh well I called Halls and they sent me one right away. Was a pain to get in and didn't go very nicely but it is now blue loctited in place. Wait lets recap to before the ten minutes ride. Went to take off on new bright new shiny bike. Oh crap no rear brakes!! Got off bike and the rear brake rotor was soaked with oil!! Looked at my trailer as I just brought the bike home. Looks like the Spanish folks must have soaked the crap out of the air filter and it leaked out and while driving went all over the rotor thus destroying my newly installed EBC semi metallic pads. Called Halls (a great dealer!) and they sent me a new set of pads. Ok. Thought I read somewhere about loose kickstand bolts. OK I thought I have oh 10 to 30 minutes just putzin around I will check it. LOOSE!! Tightened her real good. Rode for app 1 hour, sidestand bolt loose and of course no tools.......... Made it work to get back................ Now engine feels to have vibration...................Loose motor mount??????????? My god less then a hour and a half?????????????? Coming off a BULLET proof Husky 2-stroke with NO quirks.......... My 2005 Gas Gas NEVER did anything wrong and is still running perfect on it's original piston!!!! Now for the good of the hour and a half ride. Ergos absolutely sweet and perfect for me even at a short 5 foot 7!!!! Seat very very hard but should stand up anyways!! Handling. Typical Gas Gas. Sweet. Stable as a locomotive and No head shake (I am a pretty fast A rider) Suspension I will not rate at all until broke in and adjusted as I have not touched anything yet. I rode it now so I have to deal with any issues or lose my A_ _!!!! Immediately comfortable on the bike and handles so you can feel confident!!! May be heavy on the scales but this chassis does not know it! More updates next weekend. My question is WTF do I have to remove and loctite everything???????????? Any fix for that stupid kickstand bolt as I like the kickstand but I sure fear that bolt coming out and derailing chain or worse lock the rear tire and send you for the trees!! Need to work out a few bugs, but should be a solid!! (Much better feeling the 11 and prior bikes (will have a 2011 six day 250 for direct comparison next weekend) I think with all the subframe failures. I am scared. Gas Gas should give all 2012 owners the updated aluminum pieces at no cost or dealer costs. I am going to be positive!! Forgot to mention. THIS ENGINE ROCKS!!! Stock jetting and I havn't even leaned it out 1 clip yet!!! Gobs of torque. Smooth powerful and a tish pipey all at once!! Easy to start and a real workhorse!! Very very difficult to stall if even possible! Clutch pull? What clutch pull. Smooth as butter!!! Not sure if my motor mounts are now loose to or what? Any take??

Old 05-12-2013, 09:48 PM

Wish I could shed so lite for you but mine was a 10 and other than the kickstand bolt and one bolt on the exhaust it was rock solid. I have no boubt you will get it sorted. Sad to say but I'm afraid our solid Husky days are behind us. I really think the GG bikes are still built very well with just a few small things needing attention. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john01 View Post
Wish I could shed so lite for you but mine was a 10 and other than the kickstand bolt and one bolt on the exhaust it was rock solid. I have no boubt you will get it sorted. Sad to say but I'm afraid our solid Husky days are behind us. I really think the GG bikes are still built very well with just a few small things needing attention. Congrats and enjoy.
Yea I think you are right. Will sort a few little bugs out!! Yep I think the good Husky days are done. Sad after 25 plus Husky's. But if it is at all like a ktm I won't ride it even if for free!! Thanks
Old 05-13-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchman45 View Post
Yea I think you are right. Will sort a few little bugs out!! Yep I think the good Husky days are done. Sad after 25 plus Husky's. But if it is at all like a ktm I won't ride it even if for free!! Thanks
My Husaberg is like a KTM and I'm liking it.....
Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhuskys View Post
My Husaberg is like a KTM and I'm liking it.....
Umm.... Fletch don't do KTM in any color . Don't mean to type for ya Fletch but I think I got this one right .
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM

I had to tighten my kickstand bolt but other than that, my 2011 300 has been rock solid as well. It turns better than any bike that I have ever ridden and the motor is a firebreather.The best bike that I have ever owned.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM

I have a 2012 300. I have had NO bolts come loose.

I know we all think that if we have a brand new bike it is going to be the best with out any prep. I don't believe that. These bikes are machines made out of metal and aluminum and we push them hard..... They require maintenance and upkeeping. I always check all bolts prior to any ride.

One thing I have done is remove all bolts engine related bolts and reinstalled with Honda Anti-Seeze. This is great stuff and will make things easy for me down the road and will also prevent any bolts from rust as well.

Then depending on all other bolts / screws and connectors I have removed and reinstalled using Blue or Red Loctite.

And the other main thing I do is remove the phillips screws that hold the Carb float bowl (4 screws) and the top access cover (2 screws) and replace them with stainless steel allen head screws!!! Trust me these are a lot easier to remove then a phillips that won't come loose and you strip the head trying to loosen it.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:22 PM

I realized Saturday the right side handguard bolt was missing. I plan to double check the whole bike in my down time now.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM

It's not just the bolts, it's the screws that are loose as well ... most of them on the rider

Kidding, only kidding. Still, I could have opened up a plastic shop last Monday and sold second hand Yamaha and KTM plastic by the truckload.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM

Its always necessary to check/prep a new machine regardless of brand bc you just don't know if it was assembled on a Friday and if there was a extra long happy hour for the factory employees the night before.

That being said, even with constant maintenance I've seen crazy stuff happen during races. I've never had a problem with my GG, but on other bikes at certain times I've had weird things on the bike come loose during races that I knew were tight the night before. Its like your bike trailer has a bunch of little gremlins in it or something........

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar