Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 PM

Default Ergos question...

...well after a year or so I'm back on the gasser...wicked knee injury.. I didn't get to ride my 300 very long before I hurt my knee so I never got to fiddle with the bike much. I can't seem to get comfortable standing on the bike. I always feel like my center of gravity is "on my heels" so to speak. Especially while accelerating while standing I feel like I have no leverage to keep myself over the bars or weight forward. It's hard to explain, I've ridden many other bikes over the years and never had this problem, but I just can't get comfortable on the GasGas and this leads to timid riding and more potential for injury. I'm hoping one of you guys will know the "feeling or position" I'm talking about and can offer some help. By the way I'm 5'11" and 190lbs.
thanks!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Banned

get those bars way forward
Old 03-29-2009, 09:27 PM

I was thinking that was the problem and I've been looking a bit online for a solution. LTR has some clamps that look like they would work. It's a 1999 300xc. Could you suggest some other triple clamps, and or mounts that could help me with this....and where to find them. thanks for the relpy!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Do you have the stock pegs? If so, cut the spacer and move it to the other side of the peg. You could go with the Fastway pegs, they have high and low settings. The low setting is slightly rearward, and about a 13mm lower. They made a bid difference for me. I have the fastways now, and had cut and rewelded the spacer on the stock pegs on my old gasser. It worked the same. I also have an under bar scotts damper which raises the bars quite a bit, and use the Pro Taper Enduro High bend. It opens the cockpit quite a bit, and the balance point is better for me.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 03-29-2009, 10:07 PM

I do have the stock pegs, I will try that with the spacers. Also, I have protapers in the universal mounts so the bars are higher but they are not forward adjustable. So far I have not found any universal mounts that are either adjustable forward or back or just hard mounted further forward...do you know of any??
Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

BRP has mounts that increase height and offer an offset. They mount asymmetrically, so depending upon the attachment, they offset the bars forward or rearward. These work with the stock triple clamp.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Do you have the stock pegs? If so, cut the spacer and move it to the other side of the peg.
Quote:
BRP has mounts that increase height and offer an offset.
I'm 6'1" and did both of these mods and it made all the differance. You'll love it.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 03-30-2009, 08:26 AM

Mark,

I struggled with the same thing you have experienced.

What I really wanted was to move the bars forward, with minimal increase in height to achieve the horizontal distance between the pegs and bags. Installing the bars in the forward position and rotating the bars forward helped some, but it was still insufficient with my 6’ height and long arms. Raising the bars moves them rearward, due to the angle of the triple clamp, which was the wrong direction for me.

I made extensions that bolted in the stock bar mount holes in the triple clamps. The extensions had a forward hole in which I installed the bar mounts. The extensions were made of aluminum bar stock 0.5 inch thick by 1.2 inch width. They are very stout.

The extensions moved the bars forward 1.5 inches and up 0.8 inches net relative to the forward bar mount position. The motorcycle is so much more comfortable to ride with the improved ergos. They provide me a much better balanced forward attack position.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:34 AM

Eric, that sounds like what I need to do. Do you have any pics? Are you able to run a damper with that configuration? It sure would be nice to have to reach forward for the bars a little bit. I run Flexx bars and they are not supposed to be "rolled forward" to increase the distance from the seat. It would lessen the effectiveness of the damping.
'09 GG 280 TXT (to learn on)
'02 BMW R1150RT (for racking up the miles)
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 AM

Cool The Hottest Ergo Setup

I've spent tons of time figuring this out!
I'm 6'1" and 195lbs and ride a 2003 EC350

You want a BRP triple, it will move you forward, about an inch and up an inch.
Bar selection is also critical, I bought mine direct from Sunline, for some reason they discount their bars online to $50 which is about half of retail.
These bars are filled with elastomer, so it also acts as a dampener. And it comes with a trick pad. Jimmy Lewis gave it a good review.
You will also notice that I have a Scotts dampener, and I'm using the Cycra Pro bend bark busters with the Bonz bar clamps that allow me to connect direct to my bark busters.

The triple is also rubber mounted to the sub mount that also cuts down on vibration. I use super fat silicone grips from Progrip.
This setup is comfortable, allows me to stand for longer periods of time and cuts vibration down to zero.
I almost bought a flexx bar, but with this setup I don't need one.

Here's a pic of my ergos.

2008 KTM 530

Former Fantasies:
2007 KTM 525
2004 Honda CR250R
2011 Gas-Gas EC 300
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
2004 KDX 200
2000 KDX 220
2003 Gas-Gas EC 250
2004 Honda CRF 250X
2005 Honda CRF 250X

What can I say, I'm schizophrenic and ambidextrous!