Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Hyde Pipe Guard

Has anyone tried the hyde guard on an older bike? I have an 02 with a Doma that i would love to put a Hyde plate/guard on. Has anyone given this a try?

Paul B

Old 11-09-2007, 01:38 PM

Paul,

I think the only issue is the fit around the pipe, as the frame cradle is the same. The Hyde was molded for the OEM GG pipe. I'd bet it would be close as the GG pipe performes like a Doma. A little carefully applied heat and force should do it.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:06 PM

Would it be possible to get some play between the pipe guard and the skid plate? If it is two pieces I could see using some washers or hogginh out the holes on one piece to get some wiggle room to accomadate the Doma. Would this be possible or is the thing all one piece?

Paul B
Old 11-10-2007, 02:53 PM

The skid plate and bottom of the pipe guard are one piece. The header (left) and larger pipe section guard part (right) are rivited on. The right side also has the waterpump guard section. I'll take a few measurements for referance to give you a better idea. Send me a good close up of the Doma on your bike as well. In '03 they rotated the motor down in front 8mm but there is more than enough slop in the compression and flex to account for this.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:34 PM

Glen, I will snap some pics and send them your way. I rode a ktm with the combo guard the other day and was shocked at how smoothly it slid over stuff. I suppose I could just get the skidplate and stick with the c/f pipe guard but I also liked the way the gap between the pipe and the bike gets filled in with the combo guard. My current Doma has got a couple dents and is now kissing the down tube so a new will be in order and I would like some better protection for it than I have now.

Paul B
Old 11-10-2007, 08:47 PM

Paul,

If your getting a new pipe anyway, try and get the GG pipe. It runs like a Doma but is made tough like an FMF Gnarly. I never tried to fit an '03+ pipe on a pre '02 250/300, but I hear its no big deal. We did put a new FMF for an '04 GG125 on an '01 XC125 with no problems.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:25 AM

Paul,

I put the Hyde combo guard on my ’01 XC300 with a Doma pipe.

First, the original Hyde mounting brackets would not fit. The replacement brackets fit OK.

I had to remove most of the rubber pads on the guard adjacent to the pipe to get it to fit.

The Hyde combo guard provides very good protection. The skid plate portion works very well and slides very easily over rocks. The lower pipe protection and right side pipe protection is very stout. The only concern I have is with the protection on the left side exhaust header. So far, it has not taken a direct hit on the left side header. However, I expect that a direct hit on the left side header would bend the header pipe toward the frame.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 PM

Mystery solved!

I have had the Hyde on mine since new in April. It has had a tough job in the rocks and worked very well.

The silicone bumpers tend to get the outside "tit" part sheared off, and then they just fall out. This happens on the bottom eaisly and wherever you happen to scrape the guard. Get adhesive backed high temp silicone rubber strips from www.mcmaster.com. These are available in various thicknesses and will allow you to build up the guard for a custom fit on the pipe. I replaced all of the bottom bumpers with this. Its also good for insulating the contact area of the clamp washers.

I made my own brackets with M6 hardware.

I clipped a rock with the header portion of the guard. There is a gouge in the plastic, and the clamp shifted slightly on the header, maybe a few mm or so. Eaisly repositioned. The header was not bent, although it was not a direct hit. It was hard enough to knock me off line though and stop to access the damage. There is nothing (except perhaps a custom design cage type guard) that will stop that kind of impact, but this thing comes the closest for an off the shelf part.

Get some skid plate foam and pack it between the pipe and motor, the thing is a mud trap!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:08 PM

Thanks Glen and Eric. My dirtbike budget director has informed me it will be several monthes before I can replace the pipe and guard. I will likely go with the Doma again and will probably wrap it with the HYde now that Eric said he got one to fit. I will try and fit the Hyde over the carbon fiber guard I have for added rigidity.

Paul B