Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:14 PM

Default chain length

If i am putting a new chain on my bike what is the proper length. More specifically where do you want your wheel tensor in relation to the marks on the swingarm. I understand that the axle location makes the bike handle differently, but i dont have a complete understanding of it. I figure that i am putting a new chain on, i might as well set it up right.
Gearing 13/50 trails and woods. room for stretch. ect. I was thinking put it in the middle of the range on the tensors. thanks

Old 01-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAHOSPUD View Post
If i am putting a new chain on my bike what is the proper length. More specifically where do you want your wheel tensor in relation to the marks on the swingarm. I understand that the axle location makes the bike handle differently, but i dont have a complete understanding of it. I figure that i am putting a new chain on, i might as well set it up right.
Gearing 13/50 trails and woods. room for stretch. ect. I was thinking put it in the middle of the range on the tensors. thanks
I'll see if I can remember how many links I required when I went 13/50. The wheel blocks change the length of the wheel base. Shorter is less stable but quicker to turn and will lift the front easier. You want to factor in if you want to change between different sized sprockets and leave room for adjustment. You'll also possibly have the chain stretch some over time.

Measure thrice, cut once!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:44 PM

If I run my wheel to far forward in the tensioners and then run a trials tyre, it rubs on the shock mudflap. I cut mine to start halfway back.

If you run different gearing you my need to factor this in before you cut it, some here run 52 on the rear, which needs more chain length.

If you start long, you can always cut it shorter, harder to cut it longer....
Old 01-23-2012, 04:06 PM

I try to run mine as far back as I can to make room for the growth of the trials tire at high speed. I buy a longer than needed chain and put the rear axle towards the back of the adjustment where I want it and cut the chain to length, slip on the master link, adjust it and call it done.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:12 PM

I think think my last chain was 118 links for a 13/51 gearing, with the rear wheel almost to the back of the swingarm.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 01-23-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankydoug View Post
I try to run mine as far back as I can to make room for the growth of the trials tire at high speed. I buy a longer than needed chain and put the rear axle towards the back of the adjustment where I want it and cut the chain to length, slip on the master link, adjust it and call it done.
Had not even considered that, i have a trials tire that's going on it this spring. Good thought.

Last edited by IDAHOSPUD; 01-23-2012 at 09:48 PM.