Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:39 PM

Right...if you can get the clutch to begin to engage just above idle, with the smallest crack of the throttle, I think that is ideal. Maybe just an occasional tug or pull at idle, but at idle the bike shouldn't be trying to drive away. The Revloc guys said to adjust the gap so at idle there is an occasional slight pull to it, like an intermittent tugging, but not so strong that you can't hold it back with your feet on the ground (idling in first gear). My bike is adjusted at idle so I can feel an intermittent little bump/tugging in the seat. Then crack the throttle slightly and it starts to drive. I think this will minimize undue clutch slip.

does your clutch lever work normally?

Old 03-15-2015, 10:08 PM

Clutch lever works normally. I have an occasional slight tug while standing over the bike on startup, but not once it is warmed up and oil is circulating in there. So that sounds like I have it close. I might try a lighter spring in the auto-clutch to engage a little harder.

I also may pull it apart and see if I can get a 6th friction disc and steel in there... if the EXP is narrower, perhaps there's a chance. Can't hurt to try.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperflipper View Post
Right...if you can get the clutch to begin to engage just above idle, with the smallest crack of the throttle, I think that is ideal. Maybe just an occasional tug or pull at idle, but at idle the bike shouldn't be trying to drive away. The Revloc guys said to adjust the gap so at idle there is an occasional slight pull to it, like an intermittent tugging, but not so strong that you can't hold it back with your feet on the ground (idling in first gear). My bike is adjusted at idle so I can feel an intermittent little bump/tugging in the seat. Then crack the throttle slightly and it starts to drive. I think this will minimize undue clutch slip.

does your clutch lever work normally?
I'm running a rekluse core with a rekluse basket and a honda clutch pack it doesn't have any drag and it engages right off idle.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 03-23-2015, 03:14 PM

So a bit of an update on my drop-in EXP clutch for anyone thinking about going this route...

I've varied the gap throughout the Rekluse recommended range (.762mm ? 1.143mm) and I'm getting slipping at high RPMs.

I've been talking with the Rekluse technical guys and they said that they had the same problem. With only 5 frictions, they weren't able to overcome the torque of the engine. Maybe someone who has a Core Exp can verify, but I think he said the Core uses 7 frictions. This is a substantial friction difference.

I'm going to try the Honda frictions and see how that changes things and perhaps upgrade to a Core setup.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:11 AM

Hmmm...maybe some subtle differences in the revloc and EXP design. If you put more of the clutch pack in, just make sure it doesn't hit the inside of the clutch cover when you disengage the clutch. You can measure the height of the pressure plate from the lip of the case, and compare it to the clutch cover depth. The honda's frictions are a bit thicker.

Like you said, maybe less autoclutch springs.

Also the Barnett clutch springs may help too. My clutch springs were pretty sacked out, so I replaced my used clutch springs (not the autoclutch springs) with new factory ones from gofasters (back in the day :-) to assure the firmest engagement, and to keep the heaviest pressure on the pack while under load.

If you could somehow shim the clutch springs to increase the tension on the springs, that may help you decide if firmer springs might help.

I initially had some minor slipping at high RPM but the above changes fixed it for me.

So if none of this works, will Rekluse sell you the parts to complete a CORE kit? or do you have to buy the whole new kit?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:19 PM

The Honda frictions + the heavier engagement EXP springs helped a bit, but I still got a little slip at high revs. I guess I could have lived with it, but with only 5 frictions in there, it wasn't ideal. I was getting heat discoloration on the steels, it was only a matter of time, in my opinion.

The Honda EXP disc is the same as the one in the gasgas kit. I called up rekluse and they upgraded my kit to the Core setup. They don't sell an upgrade on their website, but they put one together for me after calling them.

The core setup is pretty nice. 7 frictions, thinner steels to work with Honda frictions, and the adjustable slave cylinder is awesome. It is so much easier to make adjustments to the installed gap.

Overall, I'm happy. Experimenting with the clutch has given me a much better understanding of what is going on in there.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:54 PM

Sorry bro it didn't work out. I feel bad that I led you down a singletrack with a waterfall dropoff at the end. Glad it's working well for you now. You are right the rekluse adjuster is the bomb, they really did their homework there.

Some people wanna understand how electricity works, others just wanna flip the switch and get light. Some days I just wanna ride, some days I wanna understand what the heck is going on inside my bike. The whole GasGas ownership thing (without a local dealer to run to any time something goes wrong) has been a very interesting and satisfying journey for me. Now we both understand autoclutches, maybe more than we need to. But as my friend told me, "experience is what you get when you didn't get what you want" :-)
Old 04-08-2015, 10:06 PM

Don't feel bad! It was worth a shot.

I enjoyed tinkering with it too... felt the exact same way.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperflipper View Post
Sorry bro it didn't work out. I feel bad that I led you down a singletrack with a waterfall dropoff at the end. Glad it's working well for you now. You are right the rekluse adjuster is the bomb, they really did their homework there.

Some people wanna understand how electricity works, others just wanna flip the switch and get light. Some days I just wanna ride, some days I wanna understand what the heck is going on inside my bike. The whole GasGas ownership thing (without a local dealer to run to any time something goes wrong) has been a very interesting and satisfying journey for me. Now we both understand autoclutches, maybe more than we need to. But as my friend told me, "experience is what you get when you didn't get what you want" :-)
I'm going to jump off that waterfall and gas it!

I went through similar issues when I installed a Revlov Dyna-Ring on my old '90 KDX200. My bike was only the second one to ever have one installed so I was one of the guinea pigs to help sort it out. After different thickness steels, various springs for the a/c, different clutch pack springs, and steel vs tungsten balls, I learned a whole lot about auto-clutches and how the work. I'm sure I can get the drop-in Rekluse to work in the GG. When I finally get around to doing it I'll post up my results.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 04-12-2015, 09:07 AM

I'll be keen to hear your results! I just wish I could have had at least one more friction in there.