Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:40 PM

Default Broken-in, dialed-in, big-'ole-grin!!!

Spent 4 hours with my '11 XC 300-E today. My primary goal was to get my jetting dialed-in. I also wanted to further evaluate the OEM Metzeler tires at lower inflation pressures. I also evaluated my do-it-yourself mod to lower the rear brake pedal. Here's the poop....

Jetting at the start of the day (after one ride several weeks ago):
  • 175 main
  • 38 pilot
  • N1EF (OEM) second clip
  • 550 ft. elevation
  • 60 degrees F
  • 1.5 turns on air screw
The above settings were too fat. Blubbery off idle and blubbery at WOT. Next I tried:
  • 170 main
  • 35 pilot
  • JD Blue needle 2nd clip (from the GG kit JD G001, not the YZ kit)
  • 1.5 turns
The above settings produced a very crisp off idle, a sag in the mid, and a screaming crisp WOT... but a lean surge from open throttle to idle. Next:
  • 170 main
  • 35 pilot
  • JD Blue needle 3rd clip
  • 1 turn
Perfect! Rode about an hour with this setting and did several throttle chops. Got a nice chestnut color on the plug. I also tried both ignition settings and the bike performed great on both settings... exactly as I expected. I ended up leaving the setting on cloudy because it was more "old man friendly". Strong, smooth, linear, predictable power!

Now the tires. Some of you probably read my post about my maiden voyage where I trashed the Metzelers. Then I discovered the rear was inflated to 28 PSI! Today I rode with both tires at 13 PSI. The terrain was a mixture of 70% damp soil (perfect, not mud, not dust) and 20% quicksand-mud. Thrown in were the usual 10% rocks, roots, and ruts. The verdict: The properly inflated Metzelers handled the good dirt and the rocks and roots admirably. They absolutely sucked in the mud. In the mud, I felt like I was riding slicks.

Finally, the brake pedal adjustment is an absolute necessity. I lowered it by cutting threads off the master cylinder rod. It made a huge difference. The pedal is now in the position that my brain thinks it should be.

I also noticed that my bike is not making the clutch noises that some others have mentioned. This may be due to the fact that I'm not pushing the bike anywhere near its limit.

The final verdict overall... HOLY CRIPES! The bike is just like I remembered when I rode my bud's '08... awesome, predictable, confidence-inspiring handling coupled with an engine that produces smooth, linear, predictable power. Great brakes front and rear and the best clutch I've ever ridden.

A winner! I couldn't be happier .

Last edited by Krieg; 01-30-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Thats great Glad your liking the bike. I rode with some friends today too. The weather & soil was great.

http://philipstewart.zenfolio.com
Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 PM

have you tryed the JD red needle too? just wondering what diffrence it makes? thanks for the ride report.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM

Didn't try the red needle yet. I like the results of the blue needle and didn't feel it necessary to try the red. I may try the red needle when the temps start creeping up.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 PM

Awesome Krieg I'm glad you are liking the GasGas. My son is getting ready to get some Motz tires for his GG. They feel like velcro on his TC250 and we are thinking on the GG it's just going to make a great handling bike that much better.