Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:59 PM

Question

What is a BB Glen?

My MSO has
"Offroad Motorcycle" listed under BODY TYPE
The ID# starts out VTRECH2007G300 and the rest are numbers. - Ken

Old 05-17-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
What is a BB Glen?
= Ball buster
Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 PM

I got the MSO today. Its clean, no "Off Road Only". The only thing that could give me trouble is the NJ DMV system knowing that a GasGas EC is not a street legal bike.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I got the MSO today. Its clean, no "Off Road Only". The only thing that could give me trouble is the NJ DMV system knowing that a GasGas EC is not a street legal bike.
I want an 07 ec300 but "offroad motorcycle" would do me in. Are some of the MSO's clean on the 07's?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:16 PM

Yes, like I said, my new '07 MSO is clean AND the VIN is conforming to standard. The latest shipment of bikes are like this is what I'm told. I ran it through a VIN decoding tool and it checked out. Last year this bike would go through NJ DMV with ease, this year it may be a problem. All bikes that are not OEM street legal are black listed, despite the fact that the the MSO does not say "Off Road Only". This is a NJ thing so you probably will be fine. If this bike doesn't go through in Kansas nothing else will except a true dual sport.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:28 AM

'the VIN is conforming to standard" Does this mean the VIN is recognized by the Federal system? Last time I was involved the bikes were imported as "race" bikes and didn't have to have a "recognized' VIN such as a vehicle that complied with Federal standards would have. That's where the problem arose. I spoke with a gentlemen from the NSTB, the Federal Dept. that handles the importation of vehicles, and I was told they are running out of "recognized VIN numbers and any bike imported that was up to snuff on the federal requirements would have to have an "unrecognized" numbers.

He explained the Gas-Gas's, at that time, were in fact imported as off road race vehicles and their VIN's were in compliance. IE-yz's, rm's, cr's and any off road bike not complying with federal standards as an "on-road" vehicle would have to have an unrecognized VIN. Most of the Japanese MXer's have recognized VIN's.

He also explained that a new computer system was being initiated nation wide that "sniffs" out the non complying VIN's. I saw this happening in NH. It used to be really easy to title "off road" bikes here. That now is changing just as it was explained to me.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:52 PM

Bob,

Yes, the VIN on my bike is up to standard. In the past, I registered three other GGS with non-conforming VINs. All that was neccessary was proof the VIN existed on the machine (photo). Now the system here (and maybe elsewhere) knows that a GasGas EC is not approved for street use in the USA. Its a simple list in a database somewhere. I'll find out next week and let you know.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:03 AM

Thumbs down Shot Down in Flames

Yes, shot down at NJ DMV. The EC250 is on the list as an illegal to register motorcycle. I hate this state. So, Vermont it is.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:47 PM

That stinks!

Let us know how the Vermont route goes.

Here in Wa they assume you own the motorcycle and check to make sure the state the motorcycle is registered in matches the state on your drivers license.

They even go so far as to tow street licensed motorcycles that are ridden by people without a motorcycle endorsement on their drivers license.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:43 PM

Eric, this is only for entering enduros. By NJ law, you must have your vehicles registered and inspected in NJ if you reside in NJ. If you move here(why would you) you have something like a month to transfer.

This is just another way NJ is systematicly trying to eliminate enduros as we know them in the state. First you require a plate to enter,and then you make the plate impossible to get for all but a handfull of race worthy DS bikes.