Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 AM

Default FMF Gnarly

On the FMF website....I see there is an FMF Gnarly Pipe for 03'-06' 250/300's. Part number #025056. Wondering if there is anyone out there using this pipe on an 05' EC300. The range in model years makes me wonder about the fitment as I believe there were changes made to the dimensions of the EC300 in the 03'-06' range.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:33 PM

With a little tweaking the pipes are interchangable yera to year. That particular pipe sucks in my opinion. Way to much hit off the bottom and then nothing up top. The newer SST style Gnarly on the other hand is a nice pipe.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:48 PM

You say...."The newer SST style Gnarly on the other hand is a nice pipe." Which one is this on the FMF website...07-08'? Also, what do you like about this pipe and do you think it will fit on my 05'? I like the Fatty but it smashes up easily. Appreciate the feedback!
Old 04-07-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB View Post
With a little tweaking the pipes are interchangable yera to year. That particular pipe sucks in my opinion. Way to much hit off the bottom
Yes used to pull my arms off on the 300
Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancp5 View Post
Yes used to pull my arms off on the 300
Yeah even on my EC250 it oulls hard off the bottom and hits like crazy in the middle but is horrible on the top. I spend alot of time in the top end so its not a great pipe for me but I have to hand it to FMF because it is Gnarly strong.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 PM

Here's the FMF blurbs on the pipes...

Unfortunately, no SST for my 2005 DE250.

http://www.fmfracing.com/default_det...tocross&cat=51

Quote:
Fatty
Our Fatty Gold Series pipe broadens the powerband and provides a healthy power increase everywhere. Improved throttle response, a linear powerband and enhanced over-rev all add up to a pipe that everyone will benefit from. The Fatty pipe is our most popular pipe for that same reason. If you’re riding trails, tracks or in the open desert, this pipe has what you’re looking for.

# Number one pipe on the market.
# FMF Racing’s Tru-Flo stamping process ensures a perfect fit and optimum performance.

Factory Fatty

Bolting on a Factory Fatty will enhance the powerband throughout the range. With increased horsepower and torque, you will not be sacrificing power to gain that factory look and feel. This is the same pipe many of the top supercross and motocross riders are using today.
# Lighter 20 gauge steel used for the body of the pipe.
# 19 Gauge steel used for the header portion.
# Hand pounded seams for smooth flow transitions.

SST
The SST pipe increases mid range pull and extends the over-rev considerably while sharpening the off idle throttle response. No other pipe on the market can offer these same type of gains or offer the same linear power delivery that the patented SST brings to the table.

# FMF Racing’s Tru-Flo stamping process ensures a perfect fit and optimum performance.
# Chrome plated for everlasting appearance and durability.
# SST Module is the brain behind this pipe.

Gnarly
The FMF Gnarly pipe focuses on increasing the lower RPM horsepower and torque to get you out of the toughest terrain. When looking to add 4-stroke tractor like torque to your 2-stroke and you need a pipe to withstand the harsh elements, this is the pipe for you.

# Nickel plating is an FMF trademark and has been ‘copied’ by everyone making it the most imitated expansion chamber in the world.
# Super strong18 gauge steel construction makes it GNARLY!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
The newer SST style Gnarly on the other hand is a nice pipe.
I don't see anything specific on the FMF website mentioning an "SST Style" Gnarly either, but in this thread http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4476 Speedy comments on the "new" Gnarly for the '07+ bikes.

Not sure what PEB means by SST style Gnarly. PEB???

Quote:
Unfortunately, no SST for my 2005 DE250.
If you reference both threads I think the pipe Speedy talks about is this one http://www.fmfracing.com/default_det...&app_year=2007

According to Skidad's info it should fit back to '03...
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 05-06-2009, 01:14 PM

The new 07+ Gnarly is decidely different than the older Gnarly. I am not sur about Skidad's claim that it fits back to an 03. I did howver have an OEM 06 pipe on my 02 that fit with a little hogging out of the lower mount, I don't run the upper mount as it rubs on the tank. If the 06 fit my 02 I can't see why the 07 would not fit the 05. Just to be clear the old style Gnarly is all bottom and then signs off. The 07+ Gnarly is the same thick guage but spreads the power out very similar to a Doma or the Oem pipes.

Paul
Old 05-06-2009, 02:03 PM

The link above is the pipe I've talked about. It's awesome. A little more bottom end yet it still revs out very well. I'm happy with it.

I think it should fit on the older bikes, but I haven't verified it.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:08 PM

'03 saw an 8mm lower motor in front, so all pipes '03 + should fit. Pre '03 fit with a little work as Paul stated. The pre '07 Fatty and Gnarly are the same exact pipe made out of different guage steel. '03s came with a Fatty in the US. From my experience all the pre '07 FMFs fit like crap anyway so its hard to say what really fits and what doesn't, depends on how far you can accept the mounts being stretched. I'm pretty happy with the OEM GG pipe on the 250, which is a lot like the new Gnarly, including the heavy guage steel.