Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > Other GasGas Bikes/Quads

Other GasGas Bikes/Quads Trials, Pampera, Wild HP, etc.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:58 AM

One of the guys I go greenlaning with rides a beta x trainer. He's probably around 5'6" and goes well on it. Electric start and autolube does away with most of the hassle of using a two stroke on the trail and it is plenty fast enough for the trails. Possible downsides are that I think he had to put some work into getting the suspension to work in our British mud and I believe beta spares are costly in the UK.

If a four stroke is more your thing, I would be looking at the ktm exc-f or maybe yamaha wr-f, but would be tempted to look at the bigger capacity models if trail riding only. Unless regularly riding very technical rocky trails, modern enduro bikes are nicer to ride than trail or trials derived bikes on most of the green lanes in the uk.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
(freeride is closer to a trials bike).
Disagree. Freeride is close to nothing. Sherco Xride is close to a trials and is a blast to ride.
Brasil!
Old 12-23-2016, 09:09 AM

Thanks all for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Correct, none of these bikes are made now. But that shouldn't keep you off buying them (at least not the EC250F). While I don't know the Cami (I have never seen one here in my part of the world), the EC250F is, for all practical purposes, a standard Yamaha engine in a standard Gasgas chassis. Getting parts for either should be no problem. Gasgas did change some small details around the Yamaha engine (adding a hydraulic clutch and removing the dry sump oil tank), but that shouldn't make any problems parts-wise.
In your case, I would go with the 250F.
I don?t think that there are many Cami?s in the UK either (just 68 according to the ?how many left? website). I?ve done a bit more research on the Cami and it seems that the shock is a ?R16V? (made by Olle) and used in an assortment of trials bikes including GasGas and Sherco?s. Interesting the shock is also used on a Beta XTrainer. I find it shocking (if you excuse the pun) that a bike that sells for 5500GBP uses the suspension from a trials bike.

The EC250F started to look like a much better proposition, until I looked up and found that there were only circa. 15 sold in the UK! So Im now back to the point where I have concerns over the availability of parts and the ability to resale etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
The KTM Freeride is a weird apple I.M.H.O. The bike is very tall relative to its length(due to way too much ground clearence), no engine power valve, and way too expensive. The Beta Xtrainer is a much better all around bike for most trail riders (freeride is closer to a trials bike).
Having sat on one (abet not ridden one), I wouldn?t say that they are like a ? modern ? trials bike, but I get where your coming from as they are somewhat different in comparison to other green laners on the market. I?m still to decide if they are too expensive or it is the case that other modern greenlaners i.e. Cami, EC250F, XTrainer etc are cheaper because they depreciate too quickly!
Old 12-24-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Disagree. Freeride is close to nothing. Sherco Xride is close to a trials and is a blast to ride.
I do agree with you that a Freeride is close to nothing but my statement was that it is closer to a trials bike than the Beta xtrainer. I came to that conclusion because the KTM has lower weight, shorter wheelbase, and presumably milder engine. While both are aimed as starter bikes the Beta has much more potential as skills grow because it would be much easier to modify it into a great woods weapon. IMO I also agree with Rod that a lowered 200 or 250 is better than any of these other bikes we've talked about.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:24 PM

Wink

Agree
Brasil!