Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:35 AM

I think this is one of the few advantages of being a stature of this pilot is (1.65m), unable to sleep well on the bike. I realize that high pilots usually use the extenders on the handlebars, which in my opinion is a big mistake. I suffer in some situations due to my height, but not for that destroy the geometry of the bike to mask these situations. As everyone commented, train, train, and you will realize that the right moves will be rooted in the brain and become automatic.

I walk in off-road since 1997, and recently, just after starting to see and study videos of Grahman Jarvis, I realized how important the clutch plays in off-road riding! Wow, what a difference there is when we face difficult situations using the clutch and throttle control when and only use the accelerator .... how long lost .....

Brap!

Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasxc View Post
Find some decent riders to ride with.You sound like a true beginner.You need to find a riding crew that will take you in and they will get you up to speed.They will also help you with bike setup and maintenance crap.
Hey Bravo, I'm the new owner of a '01 GG XC200 (light flywheel model).

Me and a couple other old guys are riding at Wayahutta , a NFS off road area in W NC, near Sylva NC. You're welcome hook up with us for a day.

My 200 works very well on those trails, so you'll be able to compare your '99 with my '01.

I found my '01 ran more like a pipey 125 when I first got it. One step richer on the pilot jet changed everything. Now it idles well and pulls good from down low, even on steep rocky trails with a smooth transition to the higher rpms.

You're welcome to join us for a ride.

RB
Old 10-10-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
Hey Bravo, I'm the new owner of a '01 GG XC200 (light flywheel model).

Me and a couple other old guys are riding at Wayahutta , a NFS off road area in W NC, near Sylva NC. You're welcome hook up with us for a day.

My 200 works very well on those trails, so you'll be able to compare your '99 with my '01.

I found my '01 ran more like a pipey 125 when I first got it. One step richer on the pilot jet changed everything. Now it idles well and pulls good from down low, even on steep rocky trails with a smooth transition to the higher rpms.

You're welcome to join us for a ride.

RB
That sounds like a plan, I live about 2 hours from you. Come down there and see about you all coming up to Doe Mountain up here.

PM me with contact information.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post

RB
I just looked up this area, looks like a good start for me. The trails we have here have rock faces and some nasty spots that can be a real pain for a new rider!
Old 10-10-2015, 12:06 PM

PM sent.

RB
Old 10-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barossi73 View Post
As above-Try keeping your lower legs in tight when standing,steer with your knees,be active with moving your weight around,and set your levers level with bars even if it feels too high(keeps the weight on the outside of palms and stops your wrists rolling forward and taking the weight on your thumbs-basically makes your "triangle" wider and more solid,as does keeping your elbows high)
Practice!
With time you will get used to that "hit" youre struggling with and learn to use it to your advantage
I also attended a chris birch day(highly recommended) and interestingly he was not a fan of bar risers and pointed out that virtually none of the top riders use them.Not sure if your bike has adjustable bar mounts,but if so,move them forward one position,lengthens reach and raises slightly.Most newer bikes the bar mounts are slightly offset so if you rotate mounts you get position 2.Some also have a 2nd hole for mounts giving positions 3&4.Chris recommended the 2 middle positions for virtually allriders as the closest and farthest positions start to compromise the handling/ergos.
Of course,he asks a bit more of his bikes than most of us could hope too!
He made the point that the manufacturers spend a lot of time and effort setting ergos up so the bike works well for a wide range of riders so moving too far away from standard is likely to have a tradeoff somewhere else...
I put the bike back together today. I can't get the brush guards to fit right, so I took them off and moved my levers in a bit, so I can shift and use the clutch without pinching my other fingers. Set the levers level or just a tiny bit below level. Got the bars set so it keeps my elbows out, not down.

Going to just ride it this way and make my body work with the bike and not the bike work with me. Knees tight against the bike seemed to help a LOT with riding and feeling connected to the bike. I never put my knees on the tank on my Harley.....But this is not a Harley, so time to stop thinking like it is.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:42 PM

Sounds like youre making progress.The power delivery of a 2t is completely different from ANY other engine.When you get used to it,you will LOVE it!
Old 10-11-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Dud View Post
Bravo try standing steer with your feet , I like trials riding and that is how I ride my enduro bike . Practice ,Practice ,Practice and most important have fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by bender675 View Post
I did a Chris Birch coaching day a few months back and his technique was more of a crouch than a stand. Get your lower leg vertical and locked into the seat from there you sort of crouch down so your back is not straight up and down. Elbows nice and high. With your elbows like that you are less likely to feel like going over the bars.

The more technical it gets the more you crouch down, getting your butt closer to the seat and your head further down.

It doesn't feel right the first few times but trust me, stick with it. It will probably hurt your quads and back - as in using muscles you haven't used in a while, not doing any damage.

I was always comfortable standing but using this technique I feel much more balanced and in control.

Hope this helps.
Quote:
As above-Try keeping your lower legs in tight when standing,steer with your knees,be active with moving your weight around,and set your levers level with bars even if it feels too high(keeps the weight on the outside of palms and stops your wrists rolling forward and taking the weight on your thumbs-basically makes your "triangle" wider and more solid,as does keeping your elbows high)
Practice!
With time you will get used to that "hit" youre struggling with and learn to use it to your advantage
I also attended a chris birch day(highly recommended) and interestingly he was not a fan of bar risers and pointed out that virtually none of the top riders use them.Not sure if your bike has adjustable bar mounts,but if so,move them forward one position,lengthens reach and raises slightly.Most newer bikes the bar mounts are slightly offset so if you rotate mounts you get position 2.Some also have a 2nd hole for mounts giving positions 3&4.Chris recommended the 2 middle positions for virtually allriders as the closest and farthest positions start to compromise the handling/ergos.
Of course,he asks a bit more of his bikes than most of us could hope too!
He made the point that the manufacturers spend a lot of time and effort setting ergos up so the bike works well for a wide range of riders so moving too far away from standard is likely to have a tradeoff somewhere else...
Well took the bike out for a nice 4 hour ride today! Wow, I am spent! Need to get into better shape.

With all the advise and body position suggestions, it all worked!

Squat not stand, elbows up and head down (looking forward). It felt totally different than riding around on the property. Hit some rocky sections, not river rock, but just baseball size rocks and some football size rocks. Keeping loose was a big help and letting the bike bounce under me was great. Stayed in 2nd gear and used the clutch to keep traction and stay moving.

All and all, I am very please and am now officially hooked on DIRT BIKES and trail riding. Practice Practice and more Practice!

Bike ran great, didn't bog down and stay moving as long as I keep the RPM's up when pulling over larger rocks and in ruts.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Sounds like youre making progress.The power delivery of a 2t is completely different from ANY other engine.When you get used to it,you will LOVE it!
You are right, I have to learn when the hit happens and be prepared for it. I was not prepared a couple times today and wow, it can get hair fast. But once I figured out the clutch a bit better and covered it with two fingers, I was good. It hit and I was able to ride it out or slip a bit and keep it under control!
Old 10-12-2015, 12:06 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

The hit/speed that you approach all these scary obstacles will slow down as you get used to it - more riding - my first bike was an 82 xr200 and I remember my first ride I thought it was way too fast. For the area I ride. I replaced it about a year or so later when I found I was riding it flat out (not so fast for an xr) all the time

Just look where you want to go, never at the scary stuff you are trying to avoid