Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 03-26-2009, 01:04 PM

Default no preload spacers

i just took apart my marzochi 45mm forks to put .44 springs in. i couuld not locate any preload spacers. the bike is an 05ec300. i just bought it brand new. so it has never been apart, so i think. does the stock spring setup not have a spacer? any info would be a help. drew at wer said to make spacers 1/8-3/16 thick. i did this and installed them in the bottom of the springs. will try out tonight.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

my o7 had spacers
Old 03-26-2009, 04:20 PM

The spacers are under the spring, I never saw a pair of Zokes without them, Husky or GG. Many times they stick to the cartridge and fall out when you dump the oil. How much preload was there with the stock springs? Are your .44s the same length as the .42s you removed? Whatever, you should run about 8mm preload max. Also, the fork is under damped in HS rebound, which may feel worse with the .44s.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:48 PM

the springs were the same length. i didnt measure preload (spring length minus installed height im assuming) i did add a 1/8 spacer (washer from another race tech spring kit ground down at outer diameter) the fork does feel harsh over logs and rock gardens. i had the rebound almost all the way in with the stock springs. i havent rode with the 44's yet
Old 03-26-2009, 07:04 PM

i tried to find the spacers with a small long magnet, long picks, hooked,bent,etc. i could feel where they were supposed to be but no spacers. i didnt want to drain the oil yet because i dont have any 7.5 weight in stock and the bike only has 6.5 hours on it. i have plenty of 5 and 2.5 weight oil but i think the 5 would make the rebound worse. i only use the 2.5 in winter on my wr. i dont have enough experience or confidence to play with valve shims yet.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:08 PM

Mine are apart on the bench now. The springs are approx 460mm long. There are approx 50mm long PVC tube spacers under them. Preload is fine tuned with washer spacers on the top of the spring. What do you have?

The light rebound makes the fork come out of deep compression too fast and can feel like a compression issue. Its an easy fix. For oil use Spectro 125/150.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post

The light rebound makes the fork come out of deep compression too fast and can feel like a compression issue. Its an easy fix. For oil use Spectro 125/150.
What's the easy fix?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:45 AM

i will get the spectro oil. im going to put a few more hours on the machine then i will change the oil in the forks and try to find the spacers. what is the easy fix. i dont mind trying things i just dont want to damage anything. i would remove/add shims, i just dont want to guess. i need to learn some of the theory behind valving. eric at town and country said they epoxy some bleed holes. i dont have much faith in that place-been screwed a couple of times. most recently he sold me some used springs he said would fit(.46). when i installed them they squeaked and binded. that scared me. i pulled them out. the only markings on the spring was the #48. wtf. so i bought .44 springs from wer.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:43 AM

The fix is valving. Everyone has a different idea how to change things and also different preferences. Bleed holes are fixed orafices, or static like the clicker adjustments, and only affect low fluid speeds. At high speeds they are not much of a factor. That fork may also have a bleed shim stock. Getting rid of that, and addding rebound, will provide pretty good results without modifying the pistons. Husky Zokes have no compression bleed holes and I prefer the action of the GG Zokes better with similar valving.

Torquing the 3 bolt lower GG clamp too much can make the fork harsh too, and they all come too tight from the factory.

What do you weigh that you went with .44s? With the valving dialed in the .42s are pretty good for me at 185lbs.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The fix is valving. Everyone has a different idea how to change things and also different preferences. Bleed holes are fixed orafices, or static like the clicker adjustments, and only affect low fluid speeds. At high speeds they are not much of a factor. That fork may also have a bleed shim stock. Getting rid of that, and addding rebound, will provide pretty good results without modifying the pistons. Husky Zokes have no compression bleed holes and I prefer the action of the GG Zokes better with similar valving.

Torquing the 3 bolt lower GG clamp too much can make the fork harsh too, and they all come too tight from the factory.

What do you weigh that you went with .44s? With the valving dialed in the .42s are pretty good for me at 185lbs.
I dont mean to be a pain, but could you piont out the item number of the bleed shim for me?
http://www.marzocchi.com/template/li...N=UK&Sito=moto

Thanks for the help.