Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Default I'm so happy!

This tale doesn't start happy, but the silver lining at the end still brings me smiles. I've been racing the Iowa Hare Scrambles series this year and have been leading the Senior A class from the start. Been riding my totally rebuilt 2002(!) XC300. It has been bull-strong and razor sharp all year. Had a two day, back to back event a couple of weeks ago. Moving up into the lead on Saturday's race and a knock from the engine finally gets so loud that by the third lap, I just back off out of mercy to keep from totally locking things up. Sunday I borrow a competitors '09 KTM 300 e-start and smash my foot on lap two - Done for that day with grape purple toes.
For next weeks round, I need to fix my engine or find another bike. I have a 200XC but I can't compete on it, I just need more power and torque. A family vacation leaves me no time to tear into my engine. A buddy of mine is selling his '01 DE300 which has been well cared for. I pick it up and get it home Saturday night. I scramble around on Sunday dropping the forks and putting the stock links back in the linkage. A little R&D on the brakes and it is time to head to the race. I ride it around the start area, pull up to the line, and grab a 4th place start in the dust. 2 hours later, I wind up in 3rd place, right behind the guy I'm battling with (he's KTM mounted, btw). 2 minutes behind his pace and I hadn't even set sag or turned the clickers! The best part was the reaction when I told him I just bought the bike the night before & had no time to get used to it!

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper

Old 08-19-2011, 09:46 AM

<sniff> That's beautiful, man.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Site Sponsor