Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:09 AM

Default WER Steering Damper Query?

Hi All

I picked up a rm250 to replace my GasGas xc200 with it has an Ohlins rear shock and a wer steering damper that was setup for H&HS and Motox.

I am looking to turn it into a wods bike to tie me over until this God dam recession leaves the Island of Ireland.

I was hoping you guys have experience with wer dampers? This one is fitted to the lower tripple clamp meaning you have to cut the number plate to make it fit, I presume you can get mounts to mount them another way> Are they any good? This is the first mx bike I have ever seen with one.

And please no smart comments about joining a suzuki forum.....this is a temporary thing, I want another GasGas lol

Old 08-16-2011, 05:41 AM

The WER is good and that is the best place for it. Just leave it as is and run it until you get money for a new gasser.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 AM

I believe the on the fender spot was to free up space on the bars for all your enduro time keeping stuff. I ran one on my drz. Just leave it where is it is. Might be a good idea to do an oil service or send it back to wer for a service.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 AM

WER can service it for a decent price or you can buy a rebuild kit. That's the only mounting option for a WER. Had one on my YZ's and they are a great damper. You don't feel it at all until you hit a small stump or trash and need it.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 AM

Thanks guys, havent really used it yet so looking foreword to trying out the bike. I am looking at getting a stator to run lights and help tame down the power (flywheel weight) , can you still install a headlight with this setup?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:19 PM

what yr rm ... my buddy had an 03 and the thing was insane!!
the head light may just require some cutting like your number plate did. I had to cut up my drz head light. JUst keep that in mind when looking at what you will put on the front.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:59 AM

Thanks guys, having never even seen a steering damper on a mx bike before this one I have a few queries.

Should the damper be stiff to stop head shske. Mine is very loose even on full compression, is this normal?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The WER does not have the same feel as the Scotts. It feels "free" until you need it, then you remember you have it. I used one for many years on a 94 YZ 250, woods and MX. I never changed the settings once I dialed it in. I have a Scotts on my Gasser now, it does feel like it "slows" down the initial steering input vs the complete neutral feel of the WER. It might be my settings but it works well for me. Honestly, I can say if one is better than the other ... they both work and have saved my rearend on many occasions. The mounting position was a great alternative to the Scott's "top" mount location if you could not get an under bar mount. Probably not a big issue these days now that Scott's has an under bar mount for nearly every bike. I actually modified the under bar mount from my KTM and use it on my Gasser. If that did not work, I would have mounted the WER on it, since I still have it and the old YZ. Hmm, maybe I should put it up for sale one of these days!

Contact WER directly, they are really nice and helpful guys. They were always eager to answer my questions when trying to dial it in. They are very easy to service/change oil, The oil should be replaced periodically.

As for headlight choices .. I think that the style that the Gassers use [old and new] would work very well with little or no modification on that Suzuki. You have a great deal of style/light configuration choices for the RM from Acerbis, UFO, Polisport, Hebo, Moose & Baja Designs.

I have to ask you though ... If you sold the RM and combined the proceeds with the cost of a headlight/lighting coil setup, couldn't you just buy a nice used Gasser that is already setup?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:22 PM

thanks for the advise, should have but none were available at ok money. I got the rm really cheap for what it is, so will do for a season.