Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 PM

Default KTM 300 XCW to GG 300

I currently have a 09 KTM 300 XCW and am thinking of getting a new bike next year. Want to stay with a two stroke and am considering a GG 300 as well as a '12 KTM 300. Would love to hear any feedback on the GG compared to the KTM?especially those who have sold their KTM 300 for the GG300. I like to race endures and trail ride.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

i traded my 09 ktm 300 for a gg 300. bike seems easier to flick. after suspension work on each they are about the same. motor on the ktm seems like it has more grunt, the gg seems smoother. some things like rear brake adjustment are easier on the ktm. you can pull the plug on the gg without pulling the tank. the linked rear seems better on roots. thats all i got :-)
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:58 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

personally think the gg is better for rocky tech stuff mostly diue to the fact that the seat is closer to the ground so you not on tiptoes when you need to dab

obviously this is not an issue if you have long legs!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:34 AM

Ive found that the Gasser turns much better, and that it seems easier for me to ride standing. My knees feel locked onto the bike better when standing and seated. My balance is better on the Gas Gas. The motors are both very good and can be tuned to do what you want. No need to change pipe and silencer on the GAS GAS as they are good to go. I like the transmission on the Gas Gas better. I recently rode a KTM'11 xc back to back with my GAS GAS '11, im glad i bought the Gasser. Once dialed in both sets of suspension are good, Ill give the edge to the Gas Gas.
KTM is easier to work on, standardization of bolts, nuts, allen heads is better. KTM will be easier to get replacement parts for. Gas Gas is well represented in the after market you just have to know where to look.
This forum is an outstanding resource. There are lots of knowledgeable, mature members who are passionate about the brand and eager to help the new guys. And the importer regularly contributes.
Given the choice right now i would buy the GAS GAS.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a little concerned about the fuel range also. I've gone over 80 miles on the KTM and never hit reserve. I've read on this form that you hit reserve at just over 40 miles on the GG. Other than that I think I just need to ride one.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 PM

In combined riding, I can easily get 80 miles without hitting reserve on a stock tank. I'm plated and jetted for High Altitude. This bike turns WAYYY better than my Husaberg(550), period. I have found every part I want quite easily oem and aftermarket; sub-mount for my damper, radiator braces, foot pegs, bleeders etc.. Great bike, you can't go wrong in my book with the gasser.

If GG had a better importer and dealer network in the past, many of us would probably have been ridin' GG long ago. Good job Clay!

jz

ps: perfect no, but nothing is. There is some fit, finish and design issues, all minor so far(85 hrs). See kick stand thread(s)

Last edited by coachtech; 08-18-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powercat View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a little concerned about the fuel range also. I've gone over 80 miles on the KTM and never hit reserve. I've read on this form that you hit reserve at just over 40 miles on the GG. Other than that I think I just need to ride one.
In combined riding i am hitting reserve at about 85 miles, on stock 2.5 gal (9 liter) tank. Those who are only getting 40 miles probably need to set their float level. More than likely pissing fuel out the overflow as they ride anything other than moderate terrain.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:06 PM

I think everyone who has adjusted their squish has seen their milage improve. Ive been getting thru two hour fifteen minute races with no problem. Have you ridden a Gasser? If not you really need to, i was on the fence as well but now i know im on the better bike. No doubt that i am faster around the race course, and play riding is more fun. I dont mean to sound like a homer, but im sold out at this point. Its not all roses, but its really good.

Where do you live maybe someone will volunteer a test ride. Im in the DFW area, if that is near you we can arrange a demo.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 PM

I was deciding between a KTM 300 and Gas Gas 300 back in 2004. After riding both, I took the Gas Gas hands down. I replaced it in 2008 with another GG300 and my next bike will most likely be another GG300 unless I ride something I like better. So far that has not happened.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Banned

Over 30mpg...w/RB head mod.