Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:32 PM

Default Making an EC300 into a trials bike?

I have an 03 EC300 that I have put in a lot of time and money into to fix it up.

I want to run it in an extreme event later this year, but would love to make it more 'trials like'. What should I do and how can I lighten it up??

- 13/52 gearing
- trials tyre on the rear and maybe the front.
- tugger straps
- hyde bash plate
- force radiator guards

I tried throwing an old mousse in the trials tyre, but it wouldn't throw out on the bead. Maybe a new 140/80-18 might work. Anyone have experience with trying this? I heard Chris Birch slits his mousse running an FIM tyre, but not sure how he slits it.

I had to run a steel KX subframe coz the alloy one was knackered. It is heavier and the 03 feels alot heavier than my 2011. Should I try and take it off and maybe even change the seat and rear guard more like a trials bike to lighten it off.

I could make a smaller fuel tank, I don't need a lot of range, but there is not point if it is a heavier aluminium one to replace the plastic.

What else can I do???

Old 04-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

pray....and start that salad and no beer diet you are always talking about???
Old 04-16-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
I tried throwing an old mousse in the trials tyre, but it wouldn't throw out on the bead. Maybe a new 140/80-18 might work. Anyone have experience with trying this? I heard Chris Birch slits his mousse running an FIM tyre, but not sure how he slits it.
Put on a tubeless tire valve stem to help seat the tire. Slitting a mousse would likely give more traction, but would make the alread delicate mousse more fragile and likely to bunch up in one part of the tire. If you don't use a trials tire, you can place extra grooves in your knobby of sipe the knobs. I have seen guys removing rubber on the inside carcus of the tire to make it more flexible.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:22 PM

Funny, that's how my 250 is set up now for all the nasty stuff here. Tubliss system with the rear trials tire, forget the front and run a good knobby with Tubliss as well and a G2 throttle which you will want with 13/52 gearing on a 300.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
What else can I do???
A flywheel weight should help.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

That's how I have my 300 set up. 13/52. Makes 1st gear sweet. I also have a Mitas ET-01 TL Trials waiting for the back. Just trying to get a couple more ride on my old tire.
I fastened a tugger strap to the back sub frame and it does come in handy at times. No pun intended.
For the weight you are saving I would just leave your fuel tank the same. For that matter at my age having a seat on a Trials bike ...is just fine by me.

07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 04-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
running a tubliss system in the rear would work - definitely slime it though - i've found the only draw back with tubliss is if you rip knobs off, it can leak - slime stopped that problem..

Quote:
I could make a smaller fuel tank, I don't need a lot of range, but there is not point if it is a heavier aluminium one to replace the plastic.
90% of the weight of the tank is the fuel.. just run .75 gallons or whatever you think you will need...

personally i would also cut the seat down so it's easier to move around on the bike...that will give you more of a trials like feel maybe... also trials bars and pointing your levers way down will force you more into a trails like position.....

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 04-18-2011, 05:56 AM

Is the G2 throttle to make it slower revving off the bottom? Could be interesting.

I am not real keen on the Tubliss considering the extreme location looks like it has alot of stuff that might tear a carcuss. Also a few guys I know stopped running them after slow leaking issues.

The seat is pretty low with not a huge amount of foam in it after 8 years. I am 6 foot 3. Plus I don't want to look like a free style wanker by cutting the seat down.

It is running stock springs which are too light for me, but good to bounce around on, should I leave them or put firmer rates in?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Is the G2 throttle to make it slower revving off the bottom? Could be interesting.
The beauty of the G2 is you get to go either way...
Slow opening at the beginning or Fast open. I believe it comes with 3 different cams to suit what you want.

GT throttle
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 04-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Trusty PV cover for more low end

Biff