Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I threw a bolt through the bottom of my rad shroud and cable tied the pieces together.

2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E

Old 01-15-2014, 10:57 PM

Hey Jake. I agree on the two piece rads shrouds. Stink
Dessertgasser has a good fix. I think it is in the forum here somewhere??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah yeah! I was thinking I might just drill and ziptie them together if they become a problem. Stopping the top plug from popping out of the gromet might take some engineering too. I can only see it getting worse as it wears.

Washed her up, and then pulled the plug. She's a shade lighter than I'd like so I'll definitely go back to my last known specs. It looks like she's going to spooge regardless so I'd rather jet it for max grunt. Fuel economy.. I haven't measured but after 75-80kms it looks to be about level with the subframe. IE should piss in a 100kms from a tank.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:20 PM

Some rad braces bow the shrouds enough to mess with the top peg/grommet interface, so check that. You might also try to find some higher durometer, tighter fitting grommets. It turns out the heat from the rad softens up the stockers and allows them to pop out at the most inopportune times.

The 2013s that we got in the US had the 50T stock, and that's been the go-to rear sprocket for what we ride for years. Fewer 1-2s, more 2-3s ...
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-16-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Some rad braces bow the shrouds enough to mess with the top peg/grommet interface, so check that. You might also try to find some higher durometer, tighter fitting grommets. It turns out the heat from the rad softens up the stockers and allows them to pop out at the most inopportune times.

The 2013s that we got in the US had the 50T stock, and that's been the go-to rear sprocket for what we ride for years. Fewer 1-2s, more 2-3s ...

I threw some tighter grommets in that i picked up from the hardware store jake. After reports straight away with the shrouds being a problem you would think they would have eliminated the problem at first chance?
Old 01-16-2014, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato View Post
I threw some tighter grommets in that i picked up from the hardware store jake. After reports straight away with the shrouds being a problem you would think they would have eliminated the problem at first chance?
Good thinkin Nath. I'll do the same. Might even have a couple spares kicking around here at home.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:25 AM

I also have a zip tie that runs from the lower mount to my rad guard, Supringsly hidden as there is already a hole there.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato View Post
I also have a zip tie that runs from the lower mount to my rad guard, Supringsly hidden as there is already a hole there.
2013 model uses a bolt to fix the lower shroud.. like the 2012's should have!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
2013 model uses a bolt to fix the lower shroud.. like the 2012's should have!
Yep I hear ya there. So now u have been inside and out how do you feel in build quality difference between the 10 & 13?
Old 01-16-2014, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

There appears to be quite a few minor upgrades. Mostly just standardised fasteners. Not quite as many tools required.

I like that the subframe flips up nice and easily, and its a bonus that you don't need to cut the zipties and remove the side covers/caliper in order to do so. Less tools at the top of the subframe too. Less tools on the linkage. One issue is it takes some handling to line up the lower subframe bolts. I imagine it would be easy to strip the M6 threads out if not using some caution.

Airbox. I think I prefer the 2010 setup. More sealed around the sides and edges, and breathes better from under the seat. Thats before you get to the actual filter seating. Much easier to visually check the 2010. The extra long lug on the filter frame of the 2013 does aid in clipping it into position. I'd hate to have a battery stuffed into that airbox too. Not much volume as is.

Engine wise. Cylinder wasn't removed for total insp. Head remains the same. Feels good to ride, not as vibey as the 2010, but I think most the vibes I get with that are from the pipe o rings wearing. I wonder what effect the upper head mount has on it, if any?

Plastics. Fitment seems about same. I never really had an issues with the old girl. The new one I've had to elongate the hole in the fuel tank where it mounts to the frame as it wouldn't quite align. Not sure why because it did originally. Not a fan of the extra 3mm allen screws required to remove the tank. I'm happy that the airbox sides don't get as torn up by the boots as the 2010 model.

Ergos. I prefer the 2013 geometry. The higher pegs/ground clearance definitely outweighs the slightly taller seat height. Also feels easier to get up over the handlebars and maintain the attack position. I have a feeling the underbar steering damper on the 2010 is partly responsible for the difference in feel up front. Everything else has been setup the same. G2 quick pull throttle, T3 throttle cable, Renthal twinwalls with cross member removed and angled inline with the forks, pillow top grips. When driving I don't get that unfamiliar feeling like I do when jumping on a ktm. I feel very much at home still.

Suspension. I've put a lot of dollars and hours into the 2010 with TTX both ends, and then fine tuned to the point where I'm very confident on it. First ride on the 2013 I felt pretty good, however after changing the rear spring up a rate its not quite where it needs to be. Felt harsh in the rocks, but still navigated the single trails quite well. I've got to do some more work on them before I get to a point where they'll be on par. Forks on the zokes are pretty good out of the box, but some heavier springs and valving tweaks will take them to another level.

I don't know if I'd say the 2013 is worlds better.. but it has some improvements for sure! I still think I got a bargain with it, but at the same time its costing a bit in time and setup to get it dialled in to the level that I have become used to.