Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:17 AM

Default Trials bike

I want to buy a trials bike to practice my bike control on and some more extreme training any other riders doing the same? I need advice on which bike, size of engine, year etc. Also a more sedate reintroduction to riding bikes again due to injury.

Where I live there are more opportunities to ride trials practice than enduro. I have a world class trials park just down the road and it only costs 10 of the queens pounds per day!

Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 AM

Do it!!

I got myself a trials, and I ride it all the time now, and every time I go out on my enduro or mx bike I'm thinking that it's gonna be hard to control a big and heavy bike, but every time i'm getting surprised of how much more easy everything gets when you get the basic skills fine tuned as you do on a trials bike.
I would recomment anyone anyday to get a trials bike, nomatter what kind of twowheel sport you're into, it will improve your preformance..

I got a 290 Sherco, a really reliable bike, would have liked to have a gasser, but I got this bike really cheap, a renovation project that the former owner could not finish, got it as a frame and a big box of part's. but I actually think they are all pretty much the same, good reliable bikes that can take a real beating.

get a big bore bike, I think you will get bored with the small bikes really fast..

Faster, Faster!!
Until the Thrill of Speed, Overcomes the Fear of Death..
Team YamaGas Racing.
http://bricksite.com/teamyamagasracing
Old 11-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Yes

Trials riding will without a doubt make you a better Trail rider.

1). Find a local Pro rider and get some lessons on the basics, possibly even before you buy your Trials bike. Most likely you will want to do most tasks (turning, clutching, simple balance, etc) the wrong way. Once you form a bad habit it can be difficult to change.

2). I was gonna suggest not getting a bike larger then a 250. I have a 270 Rev3 and I think my next Trials bike will be a 250. The 270 is a little more motor then I need and more motor can sometimes lead to trouble and make-up for sloppiness. My wife has a TXT 200 and it is FUN to ride. Trials requires very precise motor/clutch control and a larger motor can make that difficult.

3) Get some lessons

Good luck!
2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public
Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Don't think it makes that much difference which bike you get, although I do remember being advised that some of the more lively ones are difficult for beginners. I've got a montesa 315, it's a bit old school, but I'll never out ride it and the build quality (honda) is excellent. Machine choice is probably only important to experienced riders.

Tuition is definitely the way forward. There's a vast amount to learn and practice, and you'll only pick up a fraction of it without advice. It's very much a mental discipline, where you have to always be thinking 3 steps ahead. Being a bit of a thicko, even after walking it and with markers, I find it really difficult to get the route through the section clear in my mind before riding it.

Much cheaper than enduro. Get someone to show you how to get a tubeless rear tyre on the bead - it's a bit of a black art.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:03 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I got a trials bike for the same reason, but sold it because I do not really have the time to ride both bikes and also I was the only rider in the country with one and to improve and more importantly to make it more enjoyable you need to do it with buddies to push you to the next level.

I now do the trials drills (fig 8 full lock etc) on my enduro bike to improve skill and with the proceeds of the sale bought a rowing machine (fitness also improves skill!) and an oset for my son (hopefully will have a trials part er soon!!)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 PM

Please don't think a trials bike is safer, sure you are going slower but it can still throw you down and stomp on ya....it may not be fatal, you'll just feel like it may be.....DAMHIK....
Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 PM

Been riding trials for a couple year and I will say it has helped my riding. I jump back a forth a lot, but when I have only been riding my enduro for awhile and I hope on the trials bike. I find that I am really sloppy with the clutch and I takes awhile to get my balance back. I am always amazed at how my suspenion and the handling of my enduro makes up for my sloppy riding. I got into riding trials so I could spend more the riding with the kids oldest started just before three on a oset and now rides a pw and gasgas 50 trials. hoping to get my twins on osets next year. It is awesome to see the trails chase rides on that gasgas it's no sx50 but the hills he climbs he could never do on the pw, plus he is always standing. He is five and it is normal to stand all the time, now if only he mom could do the same