Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 PM

Talking Fuel Range? I found out

the hard way. Well, almost the hard way.

I raced the Muddobers National Enduro yesterday, and I skipped the gas available since I was afraid that I wouldn't have access to my gas can when I made it to the main gas stop. I hit reserve in the section before the gas stop with a few miles of trail left. I was sweating it big time. I laid off the gas, and tried to maintain momentum as much as possible without ringing it out between turns. It was a major fist pump and a big sigh of relief when I made it to the check out, but I had a few miles to go to get back to the pits. Just as I turned the corner to enter the pits the bike died, and I had to push it to my truck. Wow, I was grinning ear to ear.

My 2011 250xc Race made it 41.5 miles in a muddy enduro ranging from tight to wide open fields crossings.

BTW, I managed a 7th place finish in the Senior B class.

Jetting
NECW #3
MJ 175 I think
PJ 40

Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 PM

Yes you did! Well done, and good to meet you and your wife yesterday.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 PM

I learned the hard way NEVER to skip a gas available. In 08, we drove 12hrs to the Marquette National. I was on a brand spanking new 2008 Husq TXC450. Al Randt told everyone gas was at 41 miles back at the start and there would be a gas available at 25.

To make a long story short, I skipped the gas available and my bike died on the trail at 36 miles. I sat in the woods being eaten by skitters for almost 2hrs before the sweep crew came through.

Never skip gas available.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM

I managed to make 53 miles at the dual sport in Ohio on my '12 300. Granted this was not at race pace but now I have a better idea...
Old 10-15-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyR View Post
I learned the hard way NEVER to skip a gas available. In 08, we drove 12hrs to the Marquette National. I was on a brand spanking new 2008 Husq TXC450. Al Randt told everyone gas was at 41 miles back at the start and there would be a gas available at 25.

To make a long story short, I skipped the gas available and my bike died on the trail at 36 miles. I sat in the woods being eaten by skitters for almost 2hrs before the sweep crew came through.

Note to self: Never skip gas available. Never!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEV View Post
I managed to make 53 miles at the dual sport in Ohio on my '12 300. Granted this was not at race pace but now I have a better idea...
I hear ya. I've easily made around 35 miles in other enduros with plenty of gas to spare. I think the killer was the mud and a few open fields. I knew I would be cutting it close, but after the second section I knew I was in trouble.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Yes you did! Well done, and good to meet you and your wife yesterday.
Thanks. It was good meeting you too.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyR View Post

Skitters? Jeez Rocher! Even a dumb redneck like me knows how to spell "skeeters"!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 AM

im gonna save myself some money for the time being and freshen up my 11 this winter after the next two races. sending my carb and head to RB mods is on my to do list. my two rmz450s i use to ride did better on gas than my 300. hopefully RB can get my range alittle better on top of my jetting i cant seem to nail down. I filled up at that first fuel stop, im pretty sure my bike cant go much past 40miles. sounds like you got lucky!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Banned

I was gonna try to get to gas w/o fueling at the gas available but when I saw how muddy it was I bummed 1/2 gallon from Jim Ingram. I'm glad I did because I prolly wouldn't have made it. This race was muddier and slicker than at the same place two years ago when it rained on Saturday.