Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Default 2014 Gas Gas 300 - Jetting

For background readthis but to sum it up, the 2014 bikes seem to require richer jetting then the '13's.
The '14 bikes have different reed valves (V-Force4 vs Vforce 3)
Redesign of the crankshaft
New Ignition
New crankcase design
New cylinder head
Uses the same barrel as the '13.

After my brief play with the jetting in the backyard the other day during which I learnt that the new bike did not like a jetting setting used by Simmo click I started a test ride today with 40p, N3CH #3, 178m. AS 1.5 turns out.
The day was 20deg C, 50-60% humidity, sea level.
After warming the bike up by riding for 15 mins I stopped to make changes. The bike was very rich off idle and was a blubbering mess at 1/8 throttle and loaded up and took time to clear its throat when riding at low throttle openings.

I threw in a N3CW #3, immediately there was a large lean bog when cracking the throttle that only went away with the AS at 1/4 turns out. As I was on a ride at the time I didn't want to stuff round too much so just changed to an N3EH #2. To get good response when cracking the throttle I has to set it at 1 turn out.

The idle seemed ok, was a bit low and stalled on me down hills but that may just be the idle setting so I'll check that again later. It was still rich and blubbery at 1/8 throttle and loaded up slightly but not too much. As the day wore on and I got tired the transition from rich to lean when it came onto the taper got annoying. I rode the ride with this needle for the day. Covered 62k's and used 7.1L.

I want to try and jet the rich blubber out but maintain the torque and also smooth out the transition onto the taper. This is where I struggle a bit to understand this part of jetting.

The N3xx needles all require the same size main right? Lets say 178, which means the needle tip diameter of all needles is the same right?

Second, they all have the same taper, which means they all share the same taper angle, therefore the different diameters must each have a different straight section?

So we use these different length straight sections to jet out the blubber at 1/8 throttle?

In my case the H diameter needle is rich with a 40 pilot, but the W diameter with the 40 pilot is too lean. The W diameter should also have a longer straight section so will be less likely to blubber at 1/8 throttle, but I'll need to throw in a 42 pilot to work with it.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC