Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:58 PM

I tried several times today to stand while riding, I just can't get comfortable. I feel like I am going to grab a hand full of throttle or hit the brakes and fall over the bars.

Even squatted a bit, but my legs can only hand that for so long. Bent over a bit and still just didn't feel right.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

This might sound retarded, but put the bike on the stand and climb aboard.

Get yourself into position where you can be on the pegs in a neutral position without leaning on your arms. This will take the variables of forces and motion out of the equation and give you an idea of how you need to be in your neutral possie. From there you need to adjust to compensate for the actions of the bike.

Don't be so hard on yourself either. It's early days and it will all feel unnatural, sketchy, and likely a little scary. While you still consciously have to think about what you are doing and what you have to do, you will know you are still deep in the learning curve... think about the first time you do anything and how much attention and concentration it takes and still not being sure if you're doing it right. It often feels awkward even if you're doing well.

Riding a dirt bike isn't a simple task. It's a complex balance of many individual tasks being put together in delicate balances with perfect timing. Reading the terrain, looking ahead, selecting lines, compensating and correcting for mistakes, finding traction in various terrain, applying the right amount of throttle and clutch at the right times, balancing, feeling the brakes and understanding how and where you can slow the bike, gear selection, etc etc etc.

Then you have the physical aspect on top and managing to continue to do all the above as muscle fatigue sets in. There is a lot going on!

Add to that, that when you're new you are compensating for all the mistakes listed above generally with physical/brute strength. You fight more! You drop the bike more, you expend more energy just doing the simple things, and it all adds up and typically compounds on itself. I've seen some old fat blokes haul on a bike, and some of the fittest people break under a day in the bush. There is a lot to be said for 'ride fitness' and it's really less to do with being 'fit' than it is to do with 'good technique'.

Good technique comes with seat time, practice, more of each, and so on. For some it comes naturally, for many it takes more time. One thing you have on your side is that you have the opportunity to learn good technique right off the bat!
Old 10-17-2015, 08:44 AM

Excellent explanation.

I agree 100%.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:55 AM

There's a lot of talk in here about technique.Some I agree with and some I do not.

However you decide to go you cannot get there if you are not reasonably fit.
I say reasonably.The reality is that the majority of recreational riders are way out of shape in relation to the activity they are doing.They have the fancy bikes ,graphics and all the best gear.But really they got nothing.They will not even come close to meeting their own potential much less the machine they are riding.

Its a grueling physically demanding activity.
Get fit.Biggest issue is avoiding injury
You show me a large group of out of shape fancy boys and I'll show you a large group of guys plagued with nagging injuries who's best riding buddies in the past have already had that crash that ended their riding career.I use career lightly but you get the point.
In this game it isn't a matter of if but a matter of when.
So staying in shape to avoid injury and being in shape when crash time comes is extremely important.As you progress in skill you will find you can go ride after ride without a big getoff.
Doesn't matter.Someone.Some jackass retard maybe drunk squid is gonna cross your path at some point.Maybe an animal like in Casselis case.
Something unforeseen or unavoidable, it will happen.

You don't have to be a gym rat Olympic athlete.There are many awesome workouts and combinations of things people can do.
But won't.So keep it simple.
An elliptical machine set on a good resistance with some incline will get you there.
30-40 minutes 3 times week.No hands.force yourself to balance and position your body to apply force and build a rhythm and tempo to maximize the workout.Build your core, cardio, teaches you to pace and breathe and relax. Basically all the things you need to do when you leave that truck and head up the mountain and you got a fast guy up front.A large majority of riders have the ability and skill to hang, some, a bit for the first mile or so.But then it's game over.Has nothing to do with ability or skill or how awesome a bike is or the bells and whistles.
The rider is outta gas.Overheated, fogged up, arm pump , cramps, some nagging injury etc.etc.

Am I wrong??

Last edited by gasgasxc; 10-17-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:56 AM

These guys are all giving great advice. Some decent fitness goes a long way. Especially preventing injuries. Mostly though, I think a riding class and lots of time on the bike will get you all set. I've been riding since I was a kid and still fight bad habits.

I think once you are able to trust the bike and understand its limits it will help a lot. I pretty much stand the whole time and feel less fatigued than if I was sitting. You learn to use the forces acting on you to help you relax.

As far as falling forward, if it makes you feel any better, much of the time I'm on the gas, I can look at my front number plate. I'm 6'4".
1997 KX60
1983 Yami Tri-Zinger
1984 Suzuki Alt 50
1969 Trail 90
1971 Trail 90
1972 Trail 90
Old 10-17-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shang View Post
These guys are all giving great advice. Some decent fitness goes a long way. Especially preventing injuries. Mostly though, I think a riding class and lots of time on the bike will get you all set. I've been riding since I was a kid and still fight bad habits.

I think once you are able to trust the bike and understand its limits it will help a lot. I pretty much stand the whole time and feel less fatigued than if I was sitting. You learn to use the forces acting on you to help you relax.

As far as falling forward, if it makes you feel any better, much of the time I'm on the gas, I can look at my front number plate. I'm 6'4".
I'm 6'2", so we are close.

With what everyone else has said about fitness and being in shape.

I AGREE completely, however, I have spent more time in a gym than I really ever want to again. My username is the MOS I had in the ARMY, fitness was part of life while I was in. I'm out now, if I am not having fun I'm not doing it any longer.

I have gained weight from being 215lbs and cut, in shape running 7 minute miles and doing the never ending push-ups and sit-ups. Now, I'm fat and out of shape. The issue is how do I have fun and get back into shape?

Gym membership, not happening.

I work outside a lot, so I may be fat, but I have stamina that could walk circles around many of these so called "In-shape" people. Been there done that, muscle heads that can lift but can't work a full day without being torn down at the end. While I'm ready to go have a beer and play golf or whatever else.

gasgasxc: Your comment about "Its the same group that only rides together and you are never invited along.
It isn't because they are unfriendly pricks.
To them out of shape egotistical wanna be badasses are their biggest fear and worse nightmare on the mountain."

These are the people I don't associate with anyways. Why? There ego is just as big as the next guy yet they forgot something; at one point in time they also started somewhere and they also had the gear and bling. I'm all for riding with people that are about the same skill level, but there is a difference in belittling new riders and helping push new riders.

Example: Guys I rode with yesterday B riders, good guys. Yet they were happy to have someone new to ride with and took the time to show some lines and pointers as to how to take some of the rougher sections of the trails. They also understand that riders get better with time and experience.

Me personally, I would rather ride with people better than me. Give you that extra push to learn more and do better. But it takes a special person to care enough to wait from time to time for them to catch up. Seriously, how bad is it to stop for 1-2 minutes every 4-5 miles for someone to catch up to you. Grab a drink of water, smoke break, piss break.......The slow guy it sucks, they just keep moving.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:48 PM

The post isn't directed at anyone in particular..

Riding offroad is a culture, it's a lifestyle in its purest form.

The message is.Get fit.
Not world athlete fit.But reasonably fit for the activity you are doing.A very basic fundamental part of athletic sports.
You will hear rider after rider bring up the fact that riding dirtbikes offroad is considered to be by some as the most grueling and physically demanding sport there is.
It certainly is high up on the list.
So, I'd say "generally" the majority of riders aren't prepared physically.

"Technique" for any sport or athletic endeavor is only practically applicable to an individual who is reasonably fit for the activity.
Avoiding injury is a first priority.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:35 PM

I agree completely off-road riding is a demanding sport for sure.

I can feel it in my body today, not from muscle issues...But joint issues from the wrecks.
Didn't get arm pump once yesterday! Was happy about that and rode from 1100-1600 with little to no issue other than wearing the wrong undies! Ouch!

I'm going to work on getting in shape, but my approach will be different. No gym, just hiking and riding a lot. My bike will be my gym once I get it fixed.

On a good note, the guys I rode with yesterday have a tractor with a front end loader. So they are going to come to my 7 acre property and make a training track that we can play/learn on. I just don't know anything about single track building, he does.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:41 PM

Hahah!! I hate the gym!!

I mountain bike whenever I can. Usually just an hour here and there. Mountain biking single track helps with my dirt biking too. I also leave one of those little hand exerciser things in my truck. It's always in the way which is a constant reminder for me to use it. Then throughout the day I will just do a set of push-ups here and there. But for me, the biggest thing is just watching my calorie intake.

If you are looking for the funnest way to get and stay fit? Ride your dirt bike as much as possible! If I could get out on the moto as often as the mountain bike I'd be super fit...
1997 KX60
1983 Yami Tri-Zinger
1984 Suzuki Alt 50
1969 Trail 90
1971 Trail 90
1972 Trail 90
Old 10-17-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shang View Post
Ride your dirt bike as much as possible! If I could get out on the moto as often as the mountain bike I'd be super fit...
That's the plan, making my property into a nice single track is in the works. Couple hill climbs, creek crossing, creek bed riding and some tight woods riding. Just fun and a workout, the real workout is going to be making the trails!