Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:04 PM

Default First Post: Locked up EC 200... curse of the new plastic?

Hi all,
I've been viewing and learning from the forum for some time now, I guess it's my turn to step into the fray!
I bought a 2002 EC 200 a few months back. It's been a great bike so far, and is my first exotic, added to a stable of the KDX's. It has the gold Marz fronts and Ohlin's rear, a knarly pipe, FMF end, a 250 top end and strock 200 crank so its a 225, and has been running like a beast... until... I put on brand new blue plastics on (dealer going out of business, reclad the whole bike minus the headlight, for 180!). The old yellow plastics must have been jealous of the shiny new blue and cursed me.... it sure looked good a few hours! I attached a shot of my blue girl... all locked up and sad!

The plastics weren't the cause of course, I suspect a piston seizure, but's won't know for sure till I'm back home in my garage. I'm on vacation in Northern Michigan, and didn't want to tear it down too far.

My 14 year old was riding it (that could be the cause!) and said he came to an idle, heard a funny sound, and it died. Then the kick starter "wouldn't move". I went out and drug it back with the KDX (good ole green beast just never dies - 1980 KDX175 ). Indeed the kick lever would not spin AT ALL. The rear tire would not turn over the engine, it just skidded in the dirt. I only tried once for fear of further damage.

Back at camp, I pulled the ignition cover, all looked good. The engine seemed so locked that I was hoping that a bolt backed out of something and just locked her up. With the plug out I was able to turn the ignition flywheel (17mm nut) back about 90-120 degrees or so, then it locks again. I can then move forward with the nut or the kick lever, to the the point where it locks again. I took the clutch cover off for quick look as well. All was good and seemed in order. The case oil was drained and there was nothing to unusual in the oil, a few fibers, nothing more. The coolant is full, the plug is maybe a little lean, slightly brighter than the the mocha we all hunt for, but I have been trying for a few months to dial this plug in. I was running yama lube 2S at 32:1. The yama lube was an "emergency" use as we ran out the Bel Ray synthetic we usually run. I've used yama lube in my KDX's before, and it was all my cousin had on hand. I don't suspect the oil, but stranger things have happened.

I will be back home next week and start the major tear down. I want to do the following before I open it up to far.
1. Check the water pump impellar - I'ver heard they can jam up.
2. Pull the exhaust and get an eye on the piston and PV.
3. Pull the main clutch cover and take a look at the kick gears, PV gear, etc.

If these steps don't offer any clues, I think I will pull the jug in chassis. It looks very doable. Plastic off, tank out, may pull the radiators, and it seems very accessible.

If it's the top end, I will tackle it in my garage. I'm a little heasitant to go into the bottom half, though I have split my KDX's open before. I do have a shop manual for an 03, it all seems about the same as any other bick. But I'm a typical work aholic, and have little time for majore repair until winter. I have a good dealer near my home (Hall's in Springfield). They seem very capable, and reasonable. The also want to sell me 2011 six days

Do I seem to be headed down the right path here? Anyone know of any issues with the 250 top end on a 200 bottom? The bike came with the 200 piston, jug, and head. They are in good shape, so I may just go back to the 200. This thing had all the power in the world as it was, it really kicks (or should I say... kicked).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GGEC200.jpg (75.8 KB, 57 views)

Old 07-09-2011, 12:16 PM

It's hard to beat the fun factor of a 200.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

I thought the 200 had a shorter stroke than the 250?
Old 07-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

200 Bore x stroke 62,5 x 65 mm
250 Bore x stroke 66,4 x 72 mm

Let us know what kind of damage you find once you start digging.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:38 PM

From your description, I would guess a crank stuffer bolt or bolts backed out. This would allow the crank to move more than half way back and forth before locking again.

A 225? Thats a first. If your correct it must be a custom because the 250 cyl does not drop on the 200 cases. The stroke IS different.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:51 PM

uhmm, a 200/250/300 all use the same cases. I'm thinking the 225 would be using a stock 200 crank. The jug was likely decked and ported.

I like the creative 225 solution. Why wouldn't one choose a 250 crank over costly 225 cylinder mods? just sayin'
Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
From your description, I would guess a crank stuffer bolt or bolts backed out. This would allow the crank to move more than half way back and forth before locking again.
GMP is probably right, happened to my 04 200. Rebuilt it and no issues since.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:09 AM

200 cases are NOT exactly the same. They are BASED on the 250/300 and appear to be the same externally. Many subtle differences like bearing bore sizes.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
200 cases are NOT exactly the same. They are BASED on the 250/300 and appear to be the same externally. Many subtle differences like bearing bore sizes.
as glenn stated, they are definitely not the same.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 07-15-2011, 04:37 PM

The cases may have started out the same, but they get machined to fit the different crank, I had mine apart this morning, looked factory with all that machined aliminium

Tags
ec200, engine locked