Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:12 PM

Default kinked pipe

I'm thinking my pipe is slightly kinked (or maybe more than slightly) where it comes out of the engine and makes that 1st turn to the left. I think I clipped something in the mud on the left side of the pipe where it makes the loop and heads over into the thick part of the pipe. after cleaning the bike i noticed that there was a gap between the pipe and my hyde combo guard. I looked at that first turn to the left and it looked bit sharp. Ran my hand over the inside part of the radius and it feels a bit creased.

Do I have to send the pipe out to get it bent back. It not too bad but it don't look right either!!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Run it if it does it rub on anything and still seals.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:36 AM

All three of the bikes I picked up (old story) had FMF fatty pipes in various states of mangled-ness... none fit correctly. The bottom rubber mount thing was either severely stretched or completely disconnected, the pipes were pushed into one or both radiator hoses. I was able to tweak them all back to fit "well" by just prying with various wood levers, yanking while in a vise, etc. but it was tricky to avoid denting the things. And it will just bend again anyway... so I'd agree with nhrider and run it until it lost seal or is up against a radiator hose or some such problematic condition.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 AM

Personally as long as the pipe is not interfering with the frame, radiator, etc. I just leave it alone.

Pipe repair shops are great for fixing dents. However, in my experience they don't get a bent pipe back to proper alignment. If you want to fix a bent/misaligned pipe you will likely need to take the approach that Ross suggests.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 AM

Its very easy to do more damage, especially to the spigot flange, when trying to bend the pipe. Even a wood dowel will bend the flange out of round. I used a plumbers Turbo Tourch (wide flame MAPP) to heat the header and this made it a lot easier, less force required.

rpduc,

New FMFs don't line up at the vibration isolator mount so perhaps you did a better job than you think!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

pacific crest pipe repair puts the pipe in a jig to get it back to the original shape, works great, sure beats the $ for a new 1.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:28 PM

I've had Pacific Crest do a couple pipes for me. They came back looking good considering they were smashed. The only problem I found was the fit at the spigot was not perfect but it worked. We have lots of rocks here.
I wonder if there jig is for a different year then my 04'. Didn't GG change the angle of the engine after 04' ? Run it if it's not folded over! TW
Old 07-30-2008, 05:11 PM

Engine rotated down 8mm in '03.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWMAN View Post
pacific crest pipe repair puts the pipe in a jig to get it back to the original shape, works great, sure beats the $ for a new 1.
My experience was different. Pacific Crest did a great job taking out the dents. They did nothing to realign the pipe. It was just as bent as when I sent it in - the header pipe was pushed back toward the frame.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:54 PM

I've fixed a lot of pipes. I do my own and most of the guys I ride with. I've fixed stock pipes from KTM, Gas Gas, Husky and some of those Jap contraptions. I've done Doma, FMF, Pro Circuit, Spes, Bill's, Messico and Motowest.

Without exception the pipe must fit the bike before taking out the dents. Taking out the dents is the easy part; making it fit is quite a different story. I don't worry too much about denting the pipe while getting it to fit the bike, one more dent to blow out is of no consequence.