Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Got Balls ??

I had a flat!

I hate Flats!

I never get flat tires in the sand dunes, but this time I was riding on a rockey hillside, with stone strewn trails. There were a lot of old cars and other debris, so it may not have been the rocks. I thought I avoided the big sharp ones.

I bought some of those Moose Racing Tire balls. I will tell you all how they worked for me when I get them.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:16 AM

Default No balls here...

I guess not
Old 01-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I saw a you-tube video of Jeff Fredette changing a rear tire
at the NZ 6-Days that had tire balls. He made it look easy.
Compared to installing a Bib-Moose it looks far easier.

I read where you adjust "air pressure" by the # of balls
you put in a tire. with 36 balls you get about the equivalent of 8 psi and never flat! Wow.

Let us know how you like them.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Running in rocks - set your air pressure higher to avoid pinch flats.

To avoid pinch flats - I run honda flat-proof. Besides stopping small leaks - it lubricates the inside of the tube to prevent pinch flats. Pinch the tube between your fingers and try to slide it past itself without any flat-proof in it - you will see what I mean.

I also prefer to use a lighter but good quality tube like the michelin air-stop tubes that come on the bike stock. I prefer not to use a really heavy tube - they can weigh 2-3 pounds more than the stock tube and I notice the weight when throwing the bike into a corner. (gyro effect of the extra weight).

And you would want to replace the stock rim locks with motion pro rim locks while you are at it...

jeff
Old 02-11-2007, 11:37 PM

I live in the Northern Flinders of South Australia and we have nothing but rocks.
If I want to ride in sand I have to head for the beach.
Now I know that I am becoming a crusty old fart but all my rock riding over the last 35 years (started young on a bantam) has taught me that a combination of HEAVY tube, slime, low pressure and most importantly decent rim locks are the answer for rock riding. Back in the dark ages I used to do things like use a liner inside my tyre and fill the tyre with air, water and pepper. The pepper worked like a primitive slime. These days I just run a 6 ply tyre, Bridgestone UHD tube and 200ml of slime. The heavy tubes and slime means no pinch flats. Now that i got rid of the crappy GG rim locks and put my old Yam ones in, the tyres stay on the bike until they are worn out.
Low pressure is critical to get a bit of grip and 'feel' when your climbing around the side of a hill on a 6 inch wide goat track.
Tyres last about 1000k here, I've had my new pamp 400 for less than 4 months and I'm already on my 5th rear and second front.