Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Default EC200 EXC200 Comparison Ride

Last weekend I had a demo ride on a 2012 ktm 200. I took my girl friend 2011 EC200 6 Days along with me. We rode a trail that I ride all the time. It has some rutted hills, open trails and super tight fun single trails. On the way out I rode the KTM and the KTM guy rode the Gas Gas and we swapped on the way back. Verdict: The biggest thing that I was impressed with is that the Gas Gas is right up there with the KTM which I used to class as the leading Manufacturer. Your sit in the Gas Gas and on the KTM. The KTM was more lively at the bottom end but then did't match the Gas Gas top end. The Gas Gas is a more electric delivery of power, a lot smoother but the KTM is a little more alive just like a little dog. Suspension and handling of both is great, they just feel different. You could ride both of them equally hard and be comfortable as they are both very forgiving. The KTM guy hadn't ridder a Gas Gas and was impressed. If bothe 2012 bikes were available I have no idea which one I would pick, but either choice would be just perfect. Unfortunately there is no 2012 200 available her in Australia now so It looks like I will have an Orange one to sit next to the Gas Gas in the garage.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLY FROM OZ View Post
Last weekend I had a demo ride on a 2012 ktm 200. I took my girl friend 2011 EC200 6 Days along with me. We rode a trail that I ride all the time. It has some rutted hills, open trails and super tight fun single trails. On the way out I rode the KTM and the KTM guy rode the Gas Gas and we swapped on the way back. Verdict: The biggest thing that I was impressed with is that the Gas Gas is right up there with the KTM which I used to class as the leading Manufacturer. Your sit in the Gas Gas and on the KTM. The KTM was more lively at the bottom end but then did't match the Gas Gas top end. The Gas Gas is a more electric delivery of power, a lot smoother but the KTM is a little more alive just like a little dog. Suspension and handling of both is great, they just feel different. You could ride both of them equally hard and be comfortable as they are both very forgiving. The KTM guy hadn't ridder a Gas Gas and was impressed. If bothe 2012 bikes were available I have no idea which one I would pick, but either choice would be just perfect. Unfortunately there is no 2012 200 available her in Australia now so It looks like I will have an Orange one to sit next to the Gas Gas in the garage.
dam belly you blokes have got me questioning myself now. i was all set to get a 200R(when they finally get here later in the year-no rush for me tho) but after reading these posts im starting to doubt which way i should go-red or orange? i agree with your comment on sitting on the ktm & in the gasser to a certain extent. havnt had the chance to sit on a 12 gasser but the 11s seem to feel better to me than the ktm(sat on 12 ktm250exc & can test ride a used 11 200exc if i desire). im 6'4" & 100kg in riding gear so the upsized gasser dimensions really caught my eye-along with their looks! i ride similar terrain to what you described so bottom end is slightly more important than top end i guess. already have a 10 husky wr300 which is great but wanna 2nd bike & something smaller/lighter just to have fun on & stick it up all the big bad 450 riders! just unsure on the ktms linkless suspension-seems odd feel to me(good ground clearance & easy maintenance tho). plus air filters seem prone to water ingression on river crossings & pipe hangs below frame-disaster waiting to happen! are their any reliability concerns with the ktm being based on the 125 as in durability? gasser appeals to me in that regard(250 based) not to mention i can get it at least $500 cheaper than the ktm & the tanks a litre bigger. both good bikes, dunno whether i should just be another sheep in a flock of orange(hence the husky instead of 300exc-& price diff). ahh decisions. someone help or ill have to flip a coin!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

You know my feeling Shawry! Funny that your last post was almost exactly the same!!

Belly, Apparenty Solo has advised that they will be getting 200Rs into Australia this year, however the date is still an unknown.

Hopefully John will chime in with some official word. I'll be seeing out 2012 on my EC300 (downsized to a port matched and squish corrected 250).

If they still have some 200Rs floating around at the end of the year I might pick up a clearance, or be up for a 2013 model for sure! That will give me a 200, 250 and 300 in 2 frames! Perrfect!