Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:08 AM

Default extreme heat?

i race in a local hare-scramble series here in Georgia and most races are in the summer. during the last 2 events the temperature has been approaching 100degrees. and i have noticed that the seat on my xc300 gets hot enough to cook my jewels. the last lap i had to alter my riding style towards the back of the seat to stop from ruining any future family plans that i might have. has anyone else noticed this about a gas gas i am considering installing some type of heat barrier to cut down on this? this problem only is happening on the forward part of my seat that goes over the fuel tank.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

If the front part of the seat is getting that hot, are you boiling your gas too?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:40 AM

What you feel is probably the hot air from the radiators, combined with friction from moving on the seat. There is no way the seat can get hot enough to be uncomfortable from engine heat. The fuel tank and airbox form very large insulators. If you don't do it now, try the Moose undershorts (like lycra bicycle shorts) and some butt grease. Its gross, but works!

For a real nut roasting experience, you should try a Cannondale 440 (with rear exhaust and underseat header) in mid summer.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:51 AM

i don't seem to be boiling fuel and there is a noticable difference in temp between the front and rear of my seat
Old 08-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Just wondering if you might add a little more insulation between yourself and the seat. Are you wearing bicycling shorts underneath your riding pants? FYI - I also like riding with jockey "workout" underwear. They are 100% cotton.

jeff
Old 08-23-2006, 08:49 PM

Being largly a sit-down rider, I too have noticed my "cockles" getting a bit warmer than usual during the summer months. (I've since switched to riding in baggy basketball shorts.) I take it, the airflow via the radiators is the culprit.

Maybe there's a better way to redirect the radiators' exhausted airflow using adhesive-backed insulation tile like the stuff Moose makes?

Or better yet...

Les could come up with a sweet fix using the same plastic he uses for his engine mud guards.

Alternately, I've never have had a problem with boilovers or loss of power due to engine overheating.

TP
'03 EC 300
Old 08-24-2006, 08:03 AM

Every liquid cooled bike must flow hotter air out the back of the radiators and through vents of some type in the shrouds. If you restrict this you can cause problems just like if you were to restrict the cool air flow to the front. I've had a Honda CR, KTMs, and have ridden many other liquid cooled 2-strokes. The GasGas is no different.

Try to stand more when possible. I know, I'm sort of a sit down rider also, at least in the technical stuff as I'm not real tall. I stand almost all the time when on the road after a rough section, to cool things off. Try the shorts and grease, trust me it helps as a lot of what you feel is actually from friction. A 5-6 hour enduro would be painfull without them. I assume you already wear vented gear.