Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:43 PM

Default Newbie Handling Question

Looking for my first gasgas, and demo'd a nice 09 ec300 with sachs front and rear today. Loved the motor, but I was a bit disappointed in the feel of the front end; it felt kinda like my kdx....a bit unsecure on open sections (or maybe sketchy, not confidence inspiring). I was hoping it would handle like my buddies 2011 250 (ohlins/zoke) which feels more planted. Did the geometry change at all between the 09 and the 11? Or is this something that can be fixed with setup/fork height/rear preload/etc. I am 165# and the 09 had stock springs, no revalve work. Thanks for any insights.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 PM

Its just the stock set up of the sachs forks. The geometry is the same, as far as I know. Someone will chime in with some more reputable suspension tuners who can get the forks to work better.
I know of http://lt-racing.com/ there are a lot of people who can vouch for Les' work.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmx View Post
Looking for my first gasgas, and demo'd a nice 09 ec300 with sachs front and rear today. Loved the motor, but I was a bit disappointed in the feel of the front end; it felt kinda like my kdx....a bit unsecure on open sections (or maybe sketchy, not confidence inspiring). I was hoping it would handle like my buddies 2011 250 (ohlins/zoke) which feels more planted. Did the geometry change at all between the 09 and the 11? Or is this something that can be fixed with setup/fork height/rear preload/etc. I am 165# and the 09 had stock springs, no revalve work. Thanks for any insights.
Spring and re-valve for your weight and ability. It will be the best money you can spend. GasGas bikes are sprung 5.2 rear (not sure on those forks) which is for about a 145lb rider. There is a ton of info right here on this forum to help you out if you want to do some changes yourself.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Site Sponsor

I'd recommend checking the rear sag first. 110 to 115mm is a good starting point. I'd also raise the forks (move them up) slightly in the front triple clamp 3/16 to a 1/4 inch.

I've personally found that the 2005 and newer bike geometry handle better if you adjust your handlebar perches/ clamps to the furthest back position. Especially if you're 5' 10" or less.

Make each of these adjustments one at a time.

If the rear shock is sprung at 5.2 the front forks would typically be at .42.

Steve

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 10-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the replies...does anyone know with certainty if the frame geometry / clamp offset is the same between the 09 and the '11? Anyone with an '11 who previously had an 09 or earlier feel the 11 is more stable in the front end? Thanks
Old 10-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty certain they're the same. Rear sag, aswell as fork position in the triples will both have a notable effect on stability. I'd start here.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 PM

My '10 GG 300 feels great with the Sachs, and it is still stock with the stock oil in both ends.

I had a long break in period where the forks felt harsh, but right now the bike feels fine.

My forks are at the 1st line under the caps, 110mm sag, 30mm free sag, 5.2 spring. I noticed that if I raised the forks or went to 100-105 sag, the bike got a little squirrely on long straights and higher speeds. The HS compression adjuster on the rear shock has much to do with how high the rear end rides when the bike is in motion too. Mine is 1 1/2 turns out.

I think in terms of clickers, it is hard to quantify the number of clicks, especially on a Sachs shock, there seems to be a lot of variation on the number of clicks for each adjuster setting for each different year of bike.

I think triple clamp offset is 22mm for recent years.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey28 View Post
My '10 GG 300 feels great with the Sachs, and it is still stock with the stock oil in both ends.

I had a long break in period where the forks felt harsh, but right now the bike feels fine.

My forks are at the 1st line under the caps, 110mm sag, 30mm free sag, 5.2 spring. I noticed that if I raised the forks or went to 100-105 sag, the bike got a little squirrely on long straights and higher speeds. The HS compression adjuster on the rear shock has much to do with how high the rear end rides when the bike is in motion too. Mine is 1 1/2 turns out.

I think in terms of clickers, it is hard to quantify the number of clicks, especially on a Sachs shock, there seems to be a lot of variation on the number of clicks for each adjuster setting for each different year of bike.

I think triple clamp offset is 22mm for recent years.
Definite changes in the internal valving of the Sachs fork between 09 and 10 ..for the better
Old 10-09-2011, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the replies. I took the plunge and bought a new 250 race, which replaces my well used and loved kx-forked kdx220. Anyone have info on the 48mm Zokes? Is the triangular shaped "knob" in the center of the fork cap a preload adjuster? Tried to attach pic.

I'll update as my setup progresses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forkcap3.jpg (105.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmx View Post
Thanks for the replies. I took the plunge and bought a new 250 race, which replaces my well used and loved kx-forked kdx220. Anyone have info on the 48mm Zokes? Is the triangular shaped "knob" in the center of the fork cap a preload adjuster? Tried to attach pic.

I'll update as my setup progresses.

There is a preload adjuster but it is a circlip that has to be changed internally. The tri shaped knob is called a PFP adjuster. Don't know what it stands for. It adjusts compression and rebound much more than the clicks of the compression and rebound adjuster. The Zoke guy told me they were able to turn that knob in a couple of turns and do full moto with the fork. I have no clue how it works. I have been meaning to ask for a better explanation but procrastination is my middle name.
Here are the basic setting on the Zoke fork:
Fork shiver 48mm. Gas Gas
Compression : 20 out
Rebound : 20 out
Spring : K .42
Preload : 05mm (3rd up)
Spring cart. : K 20
PFP : 02 turn in
Oil : Marzocchi 7,5 wt. Spectro 125/150
Oil level : 330cc
Oil level in the cart. : 145mm.

Clay