Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 PM

Cool Ktm 300 v Gas-gas 300

I found this forum while searching for info about my sons GG125.
Anyway lately I have made some observations regarding the handling and trail manners of both bikes
The gas -gas seems to track straighter and handle rough stuff better than the Ktm, I thought that it must be the 125, so after following another relative on a Gas-Gas 300 that too also seemed to handle better especially fast choppy uphills , ruts, and seemed more controlled than the 07 ktm 300.
Since I am in the market for a new machine has anyone had similar experience
and are the 2011-2012 Gas -Gas 300 as good as they look with Ohlins and Shiver forks.
thanks.
JIm

Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 PM

Not really fair to compare an 07 KTM to the new GasGas.

The Gasser and KTM and both great bikes. I would say the only place the KTM beats the Gasser is on the forks. The WP forks are much nicer than the 45mm shivers. The new 48mm Zokes are supposed to be great so that could close the gap and maybe even give the Gasser the edge.

I have a set of 48mm cc WP forks on my 2011 GG300 and I am very happy with it.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

My 2011 45mm Shivers are the nicest forks I've ever had. I've had mostly Japanese bikes with one KTM of the '03 vintage so take it for what it's worth.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:04 PM

I really think the difference is linkage on the GG and the lack of linkage on the KTM. I never could get the linkless KTM I had to handle. Got a good friend right now with an 07 200 xcw KTM that is going thru the same problem. He road my 06 250 GG and said that was what he was looking for in suspension. I had only adjusted the oil height in the forks and adjusted the clickers to suit my style and weight. He loved it and had a well known suspension tuning shop work on his KTM. He took it back 4 different times trying to get them to adjust it to his liking, cost him over $700. Finally told them to take all their crap off and put it back to stock and refund his money, which they did. He hasn't ridden it since and that was 3 months ago....

I'm sorry, but you couldn't give me a linkless PDS KTM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Yep, what they said. My GG handles very well, it did stock and as you can imagine after having the suspension done it handles even better. I ride mostly 2nd gear single track and some of it is very to extremely rocky, the bike is just very stable.

I am a Trials rider at heart and by far this bike is the most trials-like "big bike" that I have ever owned, it just wants to turn and go where you ask it and seems to me to be less prone to deflection.

My KTM's always felt a little 'twitchy'.
2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public
Old 09-08-2011, 10:58 PM

One of my 300 Six Days customers said "for me a clear step above katoom 300, motor and susp. love that bike."

That being said, if you don't believe him I have a fresh 2009 KTM XC300 estart for sale, but if you do you might want to consider the 2011 300 Six Days also available.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 PM

Do not get me wrong, I love my GasGas 300 and do not plan to switch anytime soon. I do feel the rear is a little more plush on the GasGas than on the KTM. I can gaurantee you that I am no faster on one vs another. I would buy another pds bike in a heartbeat. As a matter of fact I did buy my Husaberg fx450 after my GasGas. Of course KTM has gone back to linkage on most bikes so whatever.

They are both great bikes and you can not really go wrong.

I think sometimes the guys who can not come to terms with the pds are the same guys I read who say that one click on their suspension makes a world of difference. I guess I am just not talented or sensitive enough but I have to change clickers by several clicks to notice any real difference. Even then I think it may be my imagination.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:11 AM

Humm... I don't know we've had two modern KTM's and I'll take the GG over them any day. To me it has more to do with the ergo's on the two bikes. I feel at home and part of the GG. The KTM's felt like I was sitting high up on top of them and not part of it if that makes sence. They were WAY more sensitive to my body position as well. If I was alittle to far forward, I had no traction. A little to far back and the front wanted to push at low speeds and twitch at high speeds. It may have just been set up issues or I'm not talanted enough to ride KTM'. Either way for me the GasGas bikes just "feel" more natural and My bike of choice.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:54 AM

I am a crappy rider--disclaimer

I find the KTM's much like the Japanese bikes, that you sit on top of the bike where the GG you sit more into the bike if that makes sense. You put a tall seat on your GG and it is similar. I call it my point and shoot. Since I am not that good of a rider things that jostle the bike and put it out of position I remember because it messes with my confidence at my level. That being said this bike inspires confidence to ride faster.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2200 View Post
I think sometimes the guys who can not come to terms with the pds are the same guys I read who say that one click on their suspension makes a world of difference. I guess I am just not talented or sensitive enough but I have to change clickers by several clicks to notice any real difference. Even then I think it may be my imagination.
Well, to shoot that theory all to hell, I hate the PDS and one click is not discernible to me....and I am very talented, my mama said so....so did my wife.