Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 08-31-2010, 04:20 PM

I prefer the Hyde plastic skid plates. Worked well for me on previous bikes. Knowing that the pipes have been tucked up more starting with the 2010s, I emailed Hyde to ask if they made a skid plate that matches the current bikes. They answered back to say that their customers are buying the HP-EXG-78. This is the skid plate/pipe guard combo that looks a bit crude (probably fine for maximum total protection).

I guess that it appears to fit because the pipe is completely hidden and you can't see the extra space. I saw something here about reshaping a Hyde skid plate to make it fit better. Does someone have a picture of this?

Doesn't the pipe mount get in the way of having a tucked in skid plate?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:00 PM

The key with the Hyde is to glue or silicone the mounts to the frame so they stay in position when you take it off. It is definitely a love/hate relationship though, especially on the newer bikes when you have to heat and mold it to fit around the pipe properly. With mine I just ran a large hose clamp around the lowest center part of the pipe and guard, and heated the guard with a heat gun while tightening the hose clamp. Then I just left the clamp on for a couple rides to make sure it was going to stay put, and now it's fine. Hard to beat the pipe protection though. I still want to try some spray foam in the gaps to make a fitted piece to keep mud, etc. out.

Wes.
85 RZ500
75 XL250
71 CB100
08 DRZ70 (son's)
Old 09-01-2010, 05:07 AM

Rubber hose sections on the frame rails really help limit rock abuse to the frame and also the Hyde itself. I have no frame dents and while the combo is looking a bit rough its still intact. I think the failure mode will be it simply scraping itself through. If this happens I'm going to remove the pipe guard section and fit it to a Mecca or Scorpion plate with some custom mounting to maintain the ridgidity.

BTW, I called Whipps in Austrailia and they do not make a GG pipe cage, bummer.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:11 AM

Does Hyde still use the same US Dist?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:23 AM

Scott,

The link still works so I would assume so.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:40 AM

Hi guys,

Just bought one of the Hyde combos and have read how some use mesh and some use foam to stop it acting like a big scoop... would it be possible for you to post pics of your setups?
GMP - I think you said you use Moose foam up to the header... is that exhaust packing? (I went on their site and couldn't figure it out)
BTW I would experiment myself, but I get very few chances to ride, so am keen to get it right first time.

Thanks in advance

Ross
Old 10-13-2010, 05:30 AM

rossrc,

Yes, I use the Moose open cell skidplate foam. It has great heat resistant properties, and will not melt or burn, but will take a set of the compressed shape in the heated area which is OK. I have a large piece that packs the front area between the pipe and the header, goes between the frame rails under the engine slightly and compresses right against the header spigot. Smaller cube piece over the header and under the frame downtube, and a piece on each side between the Hyde and the motor. I'll try and take a pic, but one block of Moose foam works and you can fit it in other ways than mine I'm sure. Also, cut some rubber hose sections to line the frame rails for extra protection, I have ZERO frame dings and I'm a major rock crawler.

Mud and trash still gets between the guard and the pipe, but its nuch better than with no foam. In a way I hate the Hyde but I can't argue with the effectiveness of the pipe protection. There is no other equivalent option in alloy. When I finally take my bike down to the frame I'll weld mounts to the frame and then R&R will be a non issue.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM

I tape a coat hanger to the front mount and then insert it from the clutch side. BOlt it up and then pull the coat hanger out. Previously that little task could send me into fits. I also have had to replacxe all the rivots with bolts but the thing is as effective, and ugly , as the day i got it. I have one of the LTR plastic pieces that goes around the pipe, with that and some foam like GMP mentioned I don't get a ton of mud scooped up in the guard. I also mounted a piece of HDPE to the bottom for extra protection and incresed the size of the oil drain hole and added a hole for the case drain.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:36 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I know the the hyde guys fairly well (their factory is on the border of Swaziland, in south africa) and they are selling guards that were modeled on the 09 shape. It seems that gasgas riders love riding too much because no-one is prepared to leave their bike with them for a month so they can model new guards. That is why the pipe/sump combo does not fit properly. I have also found that the original gasgas sump guard bracket works better than the hyde one. to get most of the guards to fit you will need to mod them slightly in terms of mounting holes

I have just fitted a P3 carbon fibre guard on my pipe and if my pipe had npt been dented through the hyde guard i would say it would have fitted like a glove. It also looked v bling for all of an hour until we cartwheeled down some rocks, and although the carbon is pretty scratched i can say that it definitely works!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:10 PM

Force Accessories (sponsor of this site) have a great black coated aluminium plate that has a 1-bolt removal set up. Very nice and good protection - but don't trust me I sell them.