Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

View Poll Results: What color rims do you prefer on a GasGas enduro?
silver with all 31 70.45%
black with all 9 20.45%
color matching (red w/ red, blue w/ blue, etc) 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2009, 09:18 AM

Default rim color preference

The newest GasGas enduro bikes have been coming out with black rims, but I suspect that most GG buyers are plain silver kind of guys. So, what is your preference?
silver with all
black with all
Maybe you want them to match the plastic color?
red with red
blue with blue
black with black
silver with white
etc

Old 05-24-2009, 09:23 AM

I love the silvwer rims on my 07, they are the rounded dirtstars to boot. The goldies on my 02 were also a nice complment to the Ohlins. Tm we shgould hook up again sometime and you can show me around Walker again.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:58 AM

I just don't like black. I have half dozen classic sport cars with wire wheels all are chrome or polished SS. The last time I saw auto wire wheels in color was around the 1940s. I've always thought that the entry of black wire wheels into Motorcycles had to do with the street cast wheels. To cover up the casting errors and avoid polishing these wheels like they did when they first started appearing on sport bikes, they just painted them black to avoid the additional costs. Over the last half dozen years brand by brand has switched to black on wire wheels. I don't think this switch has anything to do with rider preference. A number of sites that I visit have had this same poll and except for the few that like the coolness of the black rims the overwhelming number of riders like silver. I don't recollect anyone saying that the black was easier to care for or to keep clean.

Tony
Old 05-24-2009, 10:20 AM

For offroad bikes I just do not like black rims at all and can't understand why the big shift to these. In the showroom they look cool and that's about it. IMO thay also give the bike a heavy looking appearance.

For most practical purposes the silver is great but I have to admit the blue anodized rims on the new Husabergs and the TM's look awesome. I also like the look of a nice anodized hub with a silver or matching rim color.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:51 AM

I've had blue rims (TM) and black rims (Hbg). I run foamer / mousse tubes and use big tire irons and lots of vise grips for installing the tires, resulting in lots of dings /scratches, marks, not to mention that often take on the shape of a stopsign once you get enough flat spots / wows. The blue rims on the TM always looked pretty good, even though they were scratched up. The black rims always look dirty, dingy (especially where the silicone grease / mousse snot ooze around the spoke nipples and rim lock holes), and scratched up, although using a black marker on the scratches does clean things up. FWIW, the polished billet hubs on the TM were a cinch to keep looking good too.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:22 AM

Love the gold rims on anything. They look amazing and any bike can pull them off way better than black.

Also love green and blue rims too.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:42 AM

Keep it simple with silver rims. They stay looking good longer than colour anodized rims.

tm_enduro, you don't need vice grips to install a bib mousse. Get a proper tire stand with bead breaker (offroadchampions.com makes a great one) and 5 tire irons, then you're set.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=2 strokes 4 life;30738]Love the gold rims on anything. They look amazing and any bike can pull them off way better than black.

QUOTE]

Sorry, I just couldn't resist this......yeah it's KTM but you gotta admit it's a great looking bike. Shane King factory 96/97 360 or 380. Yes #1 is correct (linkage and beautiful coated WP extreme forks)

Old 05-24-2009, 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=Skidad;30740][QUOTE=2 strokes 4 life;30738]Love the gold rims on anything. They look amazing and any bike can pull them off way better than black.

QUOTE]

Sorry, I just couldn't resist this......yeah it's KTM but you gotta admit it's a great looking bike. Shane King factory 96/97 360 or 380. Yes #1 is correct (linkage and beautiful coated WP extreme forks)
QUOTE]

Yes it looks sick.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 05-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
tm_enduro, you don't need vice grips to install a bib mousse. Get a proper tire stand with bead breaker (offroadchampions.com makes a great one) and 5 tire irons, then you're set.
You took the words right out of my mouth!
I get it done w/ three tire tools and the ORC tire changer.