Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Announcements

Enduro Product Announcements Announce new gasgas enduro products here - Vendors Welcome...

Old 02-19-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvl05 View Post
I've been looking around trying to find this product in the USA, are there any dealers selling s3 stuff here that may have or be able to get one of the fw-638
flywheels ??
Thanks in advance.
There is a dealer here is Canada dual sport plus, I bought one a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure if they ship to the USA if not you can have it shipped to my place and I can ship it or could drop it in the mail on the USA side in a few weeks when I an there. If that helps.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:40 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Smile flywheel

Thanks for the offer, I will let you know, may have found one in the US.
KTM990 ADV
2005 DE250, son's bike.
2004 rm 134 son?s bike
1949 HD panhead custom
2015 Beta 430 Race Edition, sold
2008 ec300, sold
2011 ec200 sold
2004 Triumph Daytona 955I(sold)
2004 Honda RC51, Nicky Edition. Sold
2003 Aprilia rsv1000 R crashed
KTM 450 XCW (sold)
Husaberg FE 501, sold, FE400. sold
2004 KTM 200 exc.(son's bike)sold
2004 Mxc 450 , sold
Many orange bikes also sold.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:56 AM

I am not a good rider, especially when it comes to steep narrow tracks, so a fww could be fine for me (maybe).
On the other hand I have sometimes problem at really steep ascends that have to be climbed with high speed.
If i had such a heavy fww on my ec 300 06, would I have to be earlier with the throttle or open it more (maybe both?

muellersq
Old 06-30-2017, 05:18 PM

Nobody?
Really??

muellersq
Old 06-30-2017, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

The FWW just adds inertia to the engine. It won't build revs as quickly, so will be smoother (less likely to break traction, or get away from you), and the same in reverse. Will want to carry and be less prone to stalling.

It's all personal preference. A 300 should have no issues with a bit of extra weight off the flywheel, if that is what you're looking for. Others prefer snappier more responsive power delivery.

There are always other ways to tame things with throttle tube/cam systems, jetting, gearing, tyre size/mass.

The whole lot works as a system, so really you want to have the suspension matched to your ability and terrain, and balanced front to rear. The engine characteristics to suit your desires. Then focus on your skills. Clutch, throttle, body position, and technique.

All easier said than done. But your issues aren't anything that we all don't face. What one person considers unrideable/impossible another may find a challenge, and another may simply make it look effortless. It's all to do with skill and technique and the more time you put into practicing and improving the better you will be equipped to deal with them. FWW or not.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
The FWW just adds inertia to the engine. It won't build revs as quickly, so will be smoother (less likely to break traction, or get away from you), and the same in reverse. Will want to carry and be less prone to stalling.

It's all personal preference. A 300 should have no issues with a bit of extra weight off the flywheel, if that is what you're looking for. Others prefer snappier more responsive power delivery.

There are always other ways to tame things with throttle tube/cam systems, jetting, gearing, tyre size/mass.

The whole lot works as a system, so really you want to have the suspension matched to your ability and terrain, and balanced front to rear. The engine characteristics to suit your desires. Then focus on your skills. Clutch, throttle, body position, and technique.

All easier said than done. But your issues aren't anything that we all don't face. What one person considers unrideable/impossible another may find a challenge, and another may simply make it look effortless. It's all to do with skill and technique and the more time you put into practicing and improving the better you will be equipped to deal with them. FWW or not.
Excellent post.
Well said.
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 06-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by muellersq View Post
I am not a good rider, especially when it comes to steep narrow tracks, so a fww could be fine for me (maybe).
On the other hand I have sometimes problem at really steep ascends that have to be climbed with high speed.
If i had such a heavy fww on my ec 300 06, would I have to be earlier with the throttle or open it more (maybe both?
To address your question directly:
With a heavy flywheel weight, you may have to be earlier on your throttle to get the engine up to the rpm you want, since the fww makes the engine gain rpms a bit slower. (Maybe just a fraction of a second sooner, but sometimes that fraction of a second does make a difference.)

As Jokobi said, the flywheel weight will make the engine more resistant to stalling at the expense of a bit of "snap" to the power delivery.
My suggestion is to add a fww if you are having a problem with stalling the engine or a problem keeping the power under control. Also, in your calculations, you can also choose from a variety of weights.

An example: With my 2006 DE300, I had plenty of power and could control it, but my fuel usage was too high. I wanted more mileage from a tank of fuel.
I contacted RB Designs and had them reshape my cylinder head and adjust the squish band by shaving it a bit.
When I reinstalled the head after modification, my mileage greatly improved.
However, the engine gained enough extra snap in it's power delivery that I was having trouble keeping the rear wheel from breaking loose in rocky off-camber corners. (The rear wheel caught up with the front wheel twice on the first test ride. )
I then installed a Checkpoint Machine 10oz flywheel weight and my testing showed that I now still had "snap" in my power delivery but not more than I could use or control. (I just looked at their website an it seems that now they only offer the 12oz weight.)
Matt Stavish, who owns and operates Checkpoint Off-Road, was a spoonsered rider for the GasGas Factory's National Enduro and Hare Scrambles team in the early 2000s. Here is that catalog page which shows the fww weight.
http://checkpointoff-road.com/store.html

I"ve played with all the different size flywheel weights available, and I personally don't like the extremely heavy fww. (23oz) They take too much of the "play power" out of the power delivery. And, sometime that extra snap will get my front wheel up over an obstacle a quickly as I need it to.
A 10oz weight is usually my recommendation for someone who wants to race, but have more control over the engine.

You will just need to decide what you need, in relation to what you have now, and do what's best for you.

I hope that this helped you in your deliberations.

Good Riding!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 07-01-2017, 03:24 AM

Thumbs up

Thx Jakobi and Jim, you confirm what I already was afraid of, the fww won't make me a better rider

Less stalling sounds good to me as kickstarting at steep hills isnt my favorite...
I'll try to find a 12oz fww here in europe.

muellersq
Old 07-01-2017, 04:01 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

My 2007 loved the extra weight, I love it in the muddy conditions we often get here. But the head mod makes the bike Trials like at low revs. Great for tricky stuff. Do that.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)