Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 06-10-2012, 01:07 PM

Default 2011 300xc susp linkage help.

Took the bike apart a long time ago. Can't figure out how the linkage goes back together. Sorry guys, I'm not a moron but I'm stumped and this linkage is a rubix cube. Anyone have some pics?

Old 06-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/manuals/models-2-2011.html

Go and download the exploded view and see if it helps work it out. Basically not much to it once you work out what goes where. Every bearing has a sleeve and an o-ring that seals it, then some have a flat washer covering the lot. If anything working out which order to put it back together is the hard part! Start at the engine/swingarm pivot and work your way back. The last one to do up is the dog bones at the middle of the swingarm once the shock has been installed.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:30 PM

Hi guys, im just rebuilding the linkage and swingarm and am just wondering how much space the flat washers should take up between the dogbones and main linkage piece?

Ive just built the linkage on the bench (only hand tight) before fitting to the bike and you can slide the main linkage across the sleeve which leaves a fair gap the other side to the dogbone, i can probably fit another couple washers in there! i guess it can be centralised on the bike, but i cant quite see what the washers will d, as there will still be some gap.

Should the washer take all the space up between the linkage and dogbone or should there be some gap there?

The same goes for the washers between the linkage and engine/swingarm mounts. I'll try and post some pics

Thanks again for any help!
Ad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0378_1.jpg (81.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0379_2.jpg (70.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-21-2012, 02:52 PM

The linkage bushing will set the gap. The trick is to make sure that the washers are ON the bushing and not beside the bushing when you assemble the linkage. They act like a thrush washer between the linkage parts. If you are using the o-rings and not the seals, they should keep the washers snug when it's all tightened up. So you need to be careful how deep you press the bearings.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
The trick is to make sure that the washers are ON the bushing and not beside the bushing when you assemble the linkage.
Thanks GasGas. Maybe im being a bit thick , but im not sure i know what you mean by this. How can the washer go beside the bushing?!

Quote:
If you are using the o-rings and not the seals, they should keep the washers snug when it's all tightened up. So you need to be careful how deep you press the bearings.
I havnt needed to change them, but maybe my bearings are set too deep. As the o'rings are up against the bearing on the inside and do not protrude from the linkage housing at all on the outside. By the sounds of it they should sit just proud of the linkage?

Even if they did though, there will still be some gap between linkage and dogbones as the distance the bush protrudes from the linkage is greater that the width of the washer, and as you say the bush sets the gap. I guess there should be some gap there then?

Maybe im just being a fanny (sometimes not unheard of! ha) and should just get on and put it back together, I just want to make sure its right and save any problems further down the line.

Thanks,
Ad
Old 07-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400_racer View Post
Thanks GasGas. Maybe im being a bit thick , but im not sure i know what you mean by this. How can the washer go beside the bushing?!

Thanks,
Ad
Set the bearings, bushing through, orings on, and then the washers. You should be able to set the whole lot up and have it sit assembled. If the washers are beside the bushing and not on it they will fall. Once they're all sitting neat slide the other parts over making sure nothing moves and then slide the bolt through.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Set the bearings, bushing through, orings on, and then the washers. You should be able to set the whole lot up and have it sit assembled. If the washers are beside the bushing and not on it they will fall. Once they're all sitting neat slide the other parts over making sure nothing moves and then slide the bolt through.
Exactly. It can be tricky to get it all assembled with out the washers falling off the edge of the bushing. Thus the washer could end up resting on the bolt rather than the bushing, resulting in the washer getting pinched between the bushing and the dog bone and extra side to side movement of the link.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 PM

A coating of grease will let them sit on the bushing and stick to the oring/seal/rocker while you pass the bolts through.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Exactly. It can be tricky to get it all assembled with out the washers falling off the edge of the bushing. Thus the washer could end up resting on the bolt rather than the bushing, resulting in the washer getting pinched between the bushing and the dog bone and extra side to side movement of the link.
Ah yes, i did wonder if that is what you meant. Nope, definitely wont let that happen.

I will build it back up tomorrow as it sounds like it doesnt matter if there is a small amount of lateral play of the link over the bush. Its how it was when i stripped it, and it all looked ok once stipped, bearings etc were fine.

GMP, nice idea with the grease.

Thanks again for your help guys!

Ad
Old 07-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Thats how I did it too. Only a small smear of grease though. Any excess will only attract dirt.