Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > GasGas Member Polls

GasGas Member Polls Find out what everyone thinks about it!

Old 10-04-2008, 09:09 AM

Thats been there for two issues now,, I'd like to see the new 08/09's first tho.. got to get to a dealer that has some.. I'll have to go visit GMP too since He lives near my nearest GG dealer.. plans for next saturday?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
plans for next saturday?

I let you know, might have to go to kid's football game, but thats only a couple hours. If your back was good, I'd say you could help me take my AC window units out, but probably not a good idea for either of us.

I'd be leary about buying a used 4-stroke from the classifieds unless you know the bike or can verify the history. If it goes bang its junk, most are not worth fixing the parts are so $$.

T&C didn't have any '08s last time I was there a couple months ago.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:25 AM

Do they still sell husky's?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:26 AM

Oh yeah, every TE they can get. They had a few '04 leftovers but they were the first year with the new motor. I havn't been there for a couple months so I don't know what they have in stock.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:16 PM

Default drz v fsr

I bought my 07 450 in nov 06. Previous bike was a 04 drz/.
The drz was trouble free low maintainance ,good for longer rides.
The gaser apart from a TPS switch (due to corrosion after a particularly wet and muddy ride )( tropical north Queensland)
It has been trouble free.
Its great to ride ,more fun than the drz ,,lighter by 18 kg handles and turns like nothing i have ridden .
power ?, decieving, very even power delivery. will pull from low revs .
brakes ,fantastic .
fuel range with standard tank not good 80 to 100 km i use a bum tank.
use a double ester full syn oil and u will have a ball.
cw
Old 10-04-2008, 08:54 PM

Thumbs up Not a good one to judge by

Since I suck as a rider and don't get out on the bike often besides, my opinion may not be worth any more than you are paying for it! That said, I have had my 2005 FSE 450 for two years now (I rode it as a demo bike when it was new, but didn't buy it until after someone else did). When I got it it had been sitting for several months, didn't always start well, occasionally died for no apparent reason and needed some TLC. I replaced the battery but that didn't make much of a difference. Following advice from Nick I replaced the two OEM (crap) relays and changed to an Iridium plug (not sure if that was his advice). Now, as long as the battery has a decent charge it starts right up and only dies (stalls, MY fault) when I ride even more badly than usual. Still catching up on the TLC, someday I will fix the suicide stand, cut the striped wire, and gear it down some (did I mention that I suck? I am also (by choice) very slow). Far and away the best dirt bike I have ridden, actually not bad on the street considering the tires, I think it would need a larger tank before I could consider it a "dual-sport".

Bruce
Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 AM

Here's a tip if you want to make a 450/515 a bit dual sport: put on michelin T63 trail tyres and put a 40 - 44 rear sprocket on it. With that setup it performs relatively good on or offroad and the motor won't suffer as hard when riding fast (+60mph). I wouldn't recommend going lower then 40 teeth because it takes to much punch out of the motor and that's a bad thing when driving offroad in the tighter/more technical terrain.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
PS: I would be using the 450/515 as a dual sport mount. And you tech guys out there.............. your input is very important to me. Please render your knowledge.
Fred i have a 08 450 i went for the 450 and glad i did, i have also used my bike for dual sport across the middle of australia in the dessert approx in your terms 1500 miles on one oil change and it did not problems.
The 450 is a better bike IMO
The 515 power is not as smooth as the 450, the 515 has a very powerful bottom end and mid range but falls off in the top end, this is due to the overly square bore design (large bore, short sroke) the 450 will still blow your drz away and it got power every where in the range and is more manageable and smoother in the tighter stuff.
The 450 is better on fuel on a standard tank DS riding you will get about 130kms / 75 miles unless you get a larger tank, clarke or safari, i have got up to 20kms per litre just casual cruising /sight seeing etc thats 150kms/ 90miles to a tank.
With standard gearing the bike will do 95 to 100mph, fit a 14 tooth front and its still got heaps of power but will cruise at 70mph at 7200rpm, and plus 100mph top speed.

I have done 8000 miles on my bike , the only issue ive had was a blown head gasket, i replaced that and checked the valves and springs, piston and rings and big end, and nothing was replaced or for that matter any where near the seviceable limits, so i put it all back together and i should get another 8000 miles out of it, only the valves have had a shim adjustment once, i change the oil normally every 500miles.
The gasser is a great choice for DS its the closest race bike that can DS out of the lot of the 450's.

The 450 is the go, power, top speed, and still a great bike in the tight stuff.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:27 AM

These rarely come up in the used bikes here,, are there so few of them or do people keep em longer?? I wouldn't mind entertaining a 450 to replace my sxc as my dual sport bike. Just don't want to drop major coin on a brand new one.
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
These rarely come up in the used bikes here,, are there so few of them or do people keep em longer?? I wouldn't mind entertaining a 450 to replace my sxc as my dual sport bike. Just don't want to drop major coin on a brand new one.
Yeah, I had an 2004 SXC and while it was a cool bike still a beast at 300+ lbs. The GG 450 with the oh so nice FI would make a cool dual sport bike (my version of dual sport anyway). Look for a 2007 and newer and I don't think many were brought into the country to be honest. Email Dale M. to see how many he imported over the last few years and what sizes. It would be no surprise to me that new ones are still kicking around at some dealers.