Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:40 PM

Default 2004 EC200 running rich won't idle

Ok i have tried my hardest to sort this out but i cannot solve. My 04 EC200 has been running rich and won't idle. Hers the setup as I know it:

Main jet 175
Pilot Jet 40 (was 52)
Needle clip position 2 (Don't know type of needle, can't read whats stamped on it)
Float set at 16mm corresponding with seam of float to be level with edge of float bowl. However, the float has very little to move before it hits top of carb (about 2mm) , so wondering if it's set too high even though consensus seems to be the 16mm/alignment with edge of bowl is correct. The float valve looks ok but i can't really tell.

As far as the airscrew goes, it is currently at 3 turns out which helps it nearly idle with the idle screw nearly all the way screwed in. I notice when i blip the throttle it takes a long time to return to idle (and then for the engine to stop) but there is nothing impeding the throttle cable and the return of the slide when you snap the throttle with the engine off is pretty good I believe.
Once warm, bike responds to choke i.e. if you pull choke on when idling (holding it idling as it won't idle by itself) it loads up an dies.

Running 32:1 for the new piston/rings but was previously running 40:1 and having same issues

I've repacked the muffler, decarboned the pipe (standard gas gas pipe), put in new plug and cleaned the carb thoroughly. Air filter is new and clean, lightly oiled. Also has brand new piston and rings so compression is good. I've attached a shot of the plug today after a plug chop, looks pretty grim . Insulator is nearly white yet threads of plug are all oiled up! Bike is a bit boggy at the low end (0 to 1/4 throttle) but seems to run clean after that. Smokes a lot and pipe is oily at the end already even though i have just cleaned and repacked it.

And finally, bike suddenly started making a clattering noise at various revs (mainly lower). I presume thats the powervalve clatter spoken about but while i was doing the piston and rings i checked it out and seemed fine to me just a little slack. If I put my finger through the exhaust header i can "rattle" the power valve considerably with my finger. Not sure if thats normal or not.

Anyway, the bigger issue is the richness and inability to make it idle, and now potentially running lean at higher revs according to plug chop picture.

Any ideas anyone???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EC200 plug (Large).jpg (104.9 KB, 31 views)

Old 01-08-2017, 02:26 AM

Hi,I owned same bike, I have very good results with NEDH needle @3. Idle was good for about 20 sec but after that drops. You can't read a new spark plug, you need a used one. After a blip of throttle your idle return very slow ,your idle screw is to much in. First step try new needle.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:19 PM

thanks I'll try and have another look at the needle thats in it and see which one it is. Parts are not that easy to come by in NZ sometimes.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:52 PM

Looks like the current needle is an NBHW from what I can make out. The clip is currently at #2 position from the top.It also seems to be a bit bent, like someone has forced it off or on previously, so should probably replace at the same time. The slide has a 5 stamped on it, I guess that's the slide cutaway.

I will try and obtain a NEDH needle from the local Suzuki dealer as that seems to be the brand that uses the same needle type according to google.

And of course, theres more. I've attached another photo, this one is of the part that screws into the slide to secure the cable. At the top where the cable goes in, its either quite worn or was engineered this way. Does that look normal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carb cable (Large).jpg (123.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-09-2017, 06:33 PM

The bottom of mine look the same (last pic)

New plugs take some time to change color

You mite want to try this for your idle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3cy...ature=youtu.be

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 AM

thanks, will try that trick next time carb is out. Have ordered an NEDH needle will be here next month so will see if that makes a difference
Old 02-18-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolml10 View Post
thanks, will try that trick next time carb is out. Have ordered an NEDH needle will be here next month so will see if that makes a difference
Well got the NEDH and installed clip position #2 still won't idle but seems to run a little better. Ain't got much left to play with to try and make it idle, guess I need to sell it and but something that will actually idle for at least 30 seconds at least
Old 02-18-2017, 11:46 PM

Witch slide you have?