Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:41 PM

Default Bike won't run without battery and won't charge battery

My bike quit charging the battery and it won't run without a battery in it. It seems that there is zero output from the stator. Looking at the wiring diagram it seems that all current from the stator goes through the voltage regulator. When I did a diode test on the regulator one set of diodes came back at 1.45 and the other at 17.5. Can anyone tell me what numbers I should be looking for? Also what is the correct process for checking the stator?

I have been through the entire harness and all the wires seem to be intact and in good shape. The bike is a 2015 with 39 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-24-2017, 04:09 AM

Unplug the connection from magneto, there should be 4 pins. Two of them are for ignition sensor/impulse coil (white and light brown) and other two are charging coils (should be yellow and dark brown). There is also another connector with two pins, blue and red, but those are not used on E-Start models. Measure resistance between the two charge coil wires, it should be around 0,6 to 0,9 ohm. If it measures like that, you most likely still have a bad connection or cut wire somewhere or the regulator is toasted. However if the resistance is out of spec, take off the magneto cover, the wires could be damaged there (maybe rubbing against the magneto). I had this problem just a few days ago, fixed it with soldering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170417_200145.jpg (129.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilluEST View Post
Unplug the connection from magneto, there should be 4 pins. Two of them are for ignition sensor/impulse coil (white and light brown) and other two are charging coils (should be yellow and dark brown). There is also another connector with two pins, blue and red, but those are not used on E-Start models. Measure resistance between the two charge coil wires, it should be around 0,6 to 0,9 ohm. If it measures like that, you most likely still have a bad connection or cut wire somewhere or the regulator is toasted. However if the resistance is out of spec, take off the magneto cover, the wires could be damaged there (maybe rubbing against the magneto). I had this problem just a few days ago, fixed it with soldering.

Thank you!!! Exactly what I needed. Will report back with results

Old 04-28-2017, 09:02 PM

Problem solved. After much searching and probing wires I finally figured out the constant got to the regulator/rectified wasn't getting any power. I started chasing the wire and finally found a whole mess of shoddy connectors right in the middle of the harness that were covered by sheathing. The sheathing was completely full of mud and water. A quick solder job, some heat shrink, liquid electrical tape, and a mile of electrical tape, she's back together and running like a champ.