Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Skid plate for 2011?

What skid plate options are there for 2011 XC's. I did a quick search and it looks like most plates are for 2008 and earlier.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:13 AM

The 08 and earlier plates generally work OK.

I know that EE has a skid plate coming in Jan for the Gassers.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:18 AM

I think most of those would work.

The hyde plastic skid plate says 05-11.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:33 PM

The skid plate that comes on the 2011 six days model offers great protection and is made of thick aluminum. I can't tell who makes it though.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyR View Post
The 08 and earlier plates generally work OK.

I know that EE has a skid plate coming in Jan for the Gassers.
I had a little troubles fitting my Scorpion plate on my 2010 I think the double frames might need longer bolts & spacer.

But they sure are a nice plate.

07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 12-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs down Scorpion Skid Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
What skid plate options are there for 2011 XC's. I did a quick search and it looks like most plates are for 2008 and earlier.
First off, you will see skid plates such as Moose that list 07 & up, claiming they fit. Trust me...they do not. Been there, done that...and had to pay re-stocking fee's to boot.

If you get a Scorpion for 2010-2011,...you will need 4-8mm x 25mm stainless steel bolts, 16-8mm flatwashers (4 washers per bolt) and 4-6mm washers for the rear hook.

Next up, you will need to cut a groove into the plate, so the mower pipe hanger will clear. (See photo) Scorpion supposedly sent updated mounting hardware to Go Fasters back in April, but since I never recieved mine, I had to improvise.

The plate itself is a fine guard and offers great protection but the mounting "bar" is a joke. Simply put, installation of a skid plate should never require a floor jack. Perhaps if I had the proper mounting hardware as promised, it would be easier.....

Needless to say, one shouldn't have to cut, drill, shim, and replace parts on something that SHOULD fit to begin with. In the meantime... my 2011 is sitting here waiting for a plate from EE, I would suggest you do the same.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
The plate itself is a fine guard and offers great protection but the mounting "bar" is a joke. Simply put, installation of a skid plate should never require a floor jack. Perhaps if I had the proper mounting hardware as promised, it would be easier.....
Thx Rod, I really never finish my post. Got caught up doing other things.
I was going to add when I tried to installed my plate back last Feb I was corresponding with Steve Vander Helm from Scorpion Racing Inc. explaining the changes needed to fit the new frames. He sent me the required upgrades in less that a week and insured me that he would be making the appropriates changes on the next production run. That's the last I heard.
Maybe GoFasters never got the upgrades form Steve. Hope this gets solves cuz they are a great plate. IMO.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 AM

Default Scorpion Racing Skid Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
If you get a Scorpion for 2010-2011,...you will need 4-8mm x 25mm stainless steel bolts, 16-8mm flatwashers (4 washers per bolt) and 4-6mm washers for the rear hook.

Next up, you will need to cut a groove into the plate, so the mower pipe hanger will clear. (See photo) Scorpion supposedly sent updated mounting hardware to Go Fasters back in April, but since I never recieved mine, I had to improvise.

Needless to say, one shouldn't have to cut, drill, shim, and replace parts on something that SHOULD fit to begin with. In the meantime... my 2011 is sitting here waiting for a plate from EE, I would suggest you do the same.

This is Steve from Scorpion Racing. The Gas Gas Scorpion skid plate has been revised to fit the new 2011 Gas Gas and longer hardware is also now supplied with the kit. I agree with Rod that you should not have to modify the plate or replace hardware to make it work. I apologise to Rod for any frustration Scorpion has caused you. Rod if you would still like to get new hardware for your bike please email me directly with your address (steve@scorpionracing.ca), I would be more than happy to supply you with new hardware. If you decide to keep the Scorpion plate you will find that the cross bar design with 4 bolts superior to any "C-clamp" or "T-bar" design as there is no way to bend the bracket if you ever smash into something hard enough. Nothing is more annoying than a skid plate rattling loose under your bike after it takes a hit, well almost nothing.

I also would like to thank HuskyDude for his positive feedback.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionsteve View Post
This is Steve from Scorpion Racing. The Gas Gas Scorpion skid plate has been revised to fit the new 2011 Gas Gas and longer hardware is also now supplied with the kit. I agree with Rod that you should not have to modify the plate or replace hardware to make it work. I apologise to Rod for any frustration Scorpion has caused you. Rod if you would still like to get new hardware for your bike please email me directly with your address (steve@scorpionracing.ca), I would be more than happy to supply you with new hardware. If you decide to keep the Scorpion plate you will find that the cross bar design with 4 bolts superior to any "C-clamp" or "T-bar" design as there is no way to bend the bracket if you ever smash into something hard enough. Nothing is more annoying than a skid plate rattling loose under your bike after it takes a hit, well almost nothing.

I also would like to thank HuskyDude for his positive feedback.
Steve,
I, for one, am impressed, service sells parts and I'll remember this post when I consider a new skidplate....
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 AM

Thumbs up

Yes, excellent customer service Steve! Thank you for posting.

As far as the Hyde, I can see the plate fitting all years, but not the combo on the new bikes with the different bend pipe.