Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:34 AM

Exclamation '04 FSE 450 Supermoto Problem - PLEASE HELP ME!!

I just bought an 04 GG FSE 450 Supermoto yesterday from a guy who claims the bike has 580 miles on it. It serioulsy looks like he isnt lying until I get it home and ride it around.

As soon as I started riding the speedo was working only for a couple seconds and then not reading anymore. It would read like 15mph for a split second and then go to 0 for the next 15 minutes. Then I checked the odometer and it said that it still had 582 miles after 10 miles of riding. I IMMEDIATELY said some choice words thinking I just got screwed on the deal and the bike had tons of miles but the speedo isnt working.

After inspecting the bike more closely I really dont think it has over 580 miles on it but who REALLY knows.

I was kindof pissed about that because (though the bike is in perfect condition) i hate knowing that there is a possibility i just bought a bike with more milage than it reads which really pisses me off.

TO GET TO THE POINT:

I began to inspect the wires and everything to do with the speedo and odometer.

I noticed the sensor on the end of the speedo cable when passing by the magnet on the rotor was quite far away and figured it might not be reading correctly.. I attempted to loosen the nut that holds it tight to the bracket and the piece fell off in my hands. (I was trying to see if the sensor just was too far away to give me a speed reading) It was broken. I am assuming this is the problem but under further inspection im not sure this is the only problem.

I took out my manual for the bike and it said to scroll through the different modes on the speedo which were labled by the manual as:

1. Speedometer
2. Speed
3. Total Distance
4. Trip Distance

What is the difference between the speedometer and speed? ITS THE SAME F***** thing? My speed reads zero no matter how fast I ride and the milage does not increase no matter how far I go. I cannot find out why this is happening. I dont know if its the sensors, or the speedo itself. I checked all the connections and they are all fine except for the broken part I discovered when trying to adjust it. Im not sure if this is the problem or not. The piece was not completely destroyed. When it broke it exposed the little wire node that gives the reading that is normally inside the threaded and covered piece. I was able to re mount it but it no longer gave any reading.

The reason I dont just think it this problem is caused by the broken part is that my speedo reads nothing like it says in the manual. The modes arent the same and dont do what they are supposed to do.

Mine reads like this as i scroll through the modes:

1.) 12:45 (Current Time of day)
2.) 582 (Total Milage does not increase)
3.) 0.0 (I dont know. Doesnt do anything Maybe trip meter but of course it doesnt work if the speedo cable is broken.)
4.) |- 0 (speedometer which doesnt work)

Thats what my bike reads.

The manual says ,"The initial display is the clock. (time) if you press mode the display goes through the 4 other displays" and then lists the options i listed before. So really it is saying it has a clock and 4 other options (speed, speedometer, total miles, and trip meter)

I am super worried because I want my bike to reflect the actual milage and i want to figure out if this guy is trying to pull one over on me by tampering with the odometer so it would read less miles than it actually has.

I just need help figuring this whole situation all out. I need to know how to work the tach on my bike and the manual is weird and doesnt make sense. How is speed and speedometer a different thing? I have a clock and a speedometer a trip meter and and odometer.

I am also going to try and replace the battery tomorrow and get another cable or sensor. If this doesnt fix the problem is there any other thing that anybody knows about that happens to these speedos?

I dont know if anybody has had any problems with these or has any knowledge of what I can do about it but I really need help. I need to figure out if this bike has been tampered with or if it is just some sort of defect or possibly and hopefully just operator error. The guy claims that it wasnt broken when he had it but who knows. I dont know the guy so really his credability is not worth anything to me because i dont know him. That is why im suspicous.

One last thing that also made me suspicious. The cable that runs from the speedo unit to the break caliper bracket has 2 crimped on connector pieces for (positive negative im assuiming) so you could disconnect or connect them if you want to. Are there supposed to be on that cable or did this guy clip them so he could pull those off when he rode so when he sold the bike it would appear as if it had low miles?

Any recomendations on this would be greatly appreciated. My eyes tell me that even if the bike was ridden it would be impossible for anybody to clean it up this good. There is no wear. Original everything. I am pretty sure this is just a weird coinsidence that this happened to the bike the day i bought it but still in the back of my mind is that worry and suspiscion that im getting screwed over.

Please help!!!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpartain View Post
I just bought an 04 GG FSE 450 Supermoto yesterday from a guy who claims the bike has 580 miles on it. It serioulsy looks like he isnt lying until I get it home and ride it around.

As soon as I started riding the speedo was working only for a couple seconds and then not reading anymore. It would read like 15mph for a split second and then go to 0 for the next 15 minutes. Then I checked the odometer and it said that it still had 582 miles after 10 miles of riding. I IMMEDIATELY said some choice words thinking I just got screwed on the deal and the bike had tons of miles but the speedo isnt working.

After inspecting the bike more closely I really dont think it has over 580 miles on it but who REALLY knows.

I was kindof pissed about that because (though the bike is in perfect condition) i hate knowing that there is a possibility i just bought a bike with more milage than it reads which really pisses me off.

TO GET TO THE POINT:

I began to inspect the wires and everything to do with the speedo and odometer.

I noticed the sensor on the end of the speedo cable when passing by the magnet on the rotor was quite far away and figured it might not be reading correctly.. I attempted to loosen the nut that holds it tight to the bracket and the piece fell off in my hands. (I was trying to see if the sensor just was too far away to give me a speed reading) It was broken. I am assuming this is the problem but under further inspection im not sure this is the only problem.

I took out my manual for the bike and it said to scroll through the different modes on the speedo which were labled by the manual as:

1. Speedometer
2. Speed
3. Total Distance
4. Trip Distance

What is the difference between the speedometer and speed? ITS THE SAME F***** thing? My speed reads zero no matter how fast I ride and the milage does not increase no matter how far I go. I cannot find out why this is happening. I dont know if its the sensors, or the speedo itself. I checked all the connections and they are all fine except for the broken part I discovered when trying to adjust it. Im not sure if this is the problem or not. The piece was not completely destroyed. When it broke it exposed the little wire node that gives the reading that is normally inside the threaded and covered piece. I was able to re mount it but it no longer gave any reading.

The reason I dont just think it this problem is caused by the broken part is that my speedo reads nothing like it says in the manual. The modes arent the same and dont do what they are supposed to do.

Mine reads like this as i scroll through the modes:

1.) 12:45 (Current Time of day)
2.) 582 (Total Milage does not increase)
3.) 0.0 (I dont know. Doesnt do anything Maybe trip meter but of course it doesnt work if the speedo cable is broken.)
4.) |- 0 (speedometer which doesnt work)

Thats what my bike reads.

The manual says ,"The initial display is the clock. (time) if you press mode the display goes through the 4 other displays" and then lists the options i listed before. So really it is saying it has a clock and 4 other options (speed, speedometer, total miles, and trip meter)

I am super worried because I want my bike to reflect the actual milage and i want to figure out if this guy is trying to pull one over on me by tampering with the odometer so it would read less miles than it actually has.

I just need help figuring this whole situation all out. I need to know how to work the tach on my bike and the manual is weird and doesnt make sense. How is speed and speedometer a different thing? I have a clock and a speedometer a trip meter and and odometer.

I am also going to try and replace the battery tomorrow and get another cable or sensor. If this doesnt fix the problem is there any other thing that anybody knows about that happens to these speedos?

I dont know if anybody has had any problems with these or has any knowledge of what I can do about it but I really need help. I need to figure out if this bike has been tampered with or if it is just some sort of defect or possibly and hopefully just operator error. The guy claims that it wasnt broken when he had it but who knows. I dont know the guy so really his credability is not worth anything to me because i dont know him. That is why im suspicous.

One last thing that also made me suspicious. The cable that runs from the speedo unit to the break caliper bracket has 2 crimped on connector pieces for (positive negative im assuiming) so you could disconnect or connect them if you want to. Are there supposed to be on that cable or did this guy clip them so he could pull those off when he rode so when he sold the bike it would appear as if it had low miles?

Any recomendations on this would be greatly appreciated. My eyes tell me that even if the bike was ridden it would be impossible for anybody to clean it up this good. There is no wear. Original everything. I am pretty sure this is just a weird coinsidence that this happened to the bike the day i bought it but still in the back of my mind is that worry and suspiscion that im getting screwed over.

Please help!!!
Ya never will really know on the speedo issue.

I ditched the stock speedo and went with the trailtech vapor because it has so much more info, he might have done the same thing hence the splices or something else simular.

All I can say is try replacing that cable and see if it corrects the problem. Either way that cable can be used with the trail tech computer if you decide to use it.

Got any pics? Got some pics of the problem area also?

I have an 03SM/O and have enjoyed it other than a problem I made that is going in to get fixed now and hopefully wont kill me on pricing.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 PM

Default Im An Idiot

After rigging up a new speedo cable I found that it did not solve my problem.

I WAS PISSED. I though I got screwed over.

I thought the guy had told me that the battery in the speedo was new, so that couldnt be it. I called him to make sure he said that and he said no. I said you might NEED to replace the battery. It has been sitting for a while.

So bottom line is:

I replaced the battery and the thing works fine. It just didnt have enough juice to read the speed sensor, but had enough for the display.

So if any of you are having the same problem...

REPLACE THE BATTERY FIRST AND FORMOST!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:44 PM

Odd, isnt the speedo wired into the harness for power on those bikes? I never ever had a battery on my fse's computer, just pulled power off the main harness.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:09 PM

Default battery

Nope. The FSE stock gasgas speedo runs on its own 9 volt battery so when it goes dead, it does not record the milage. It does not loose the milage recorded, however it does not record any while it is dead. I don't really like that. It poses a potential milage representation problem for people who take the 9 volt out and ride it and then try to sell it with "low miles." I don't think that is the case on my bike however ya never know.

Also, the lesson I learned from this is that when the 9 volt is low, (not dead) the display still functions properly but it cannot recieve information from the speedometer cable and does not increase the odo or trip meters. You would think there would be information on that somewhere or a low battery light or the display would just go dead. But it doesn't. And it caused me a lot of trouble thinking that there was some huge problem with the speedo and leads to believe that the bike was tampered with or something was up. If I had owned the bike for a while before this happened I wouldn't have really been worried but because of the circumstances I was worried that something fishy was going on. Luckily it was just the battery and the cable needs a replacement. It was broken upon inspection but Im not sure if that contributed or not. It all was just unfortunate that the battery went low the day I bought it and the cable was broken.

Oh well. Its fixed now so at least I know what to do next time.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 PM

I put a switch on the 9 volt battery. I can turn the power on and off for much longer life.
I have a 450 quad that you have to remove the entire dash to replace the 9 volt battery.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:52 PM

Exclamation

Why didnt they just wire the display to the bike battery system and make it shut off when the key is off?

That does not really seem like a gasgas move. They usually think stuff out and design it with durability longevity and performance. This must have slipped by them because it is dumb. Also they forgot the neutral light!!!! I need that! My bike needs that badly because the shifting is stiff (not broken in yet) and Its hard to get into neutral and I never know if its in and I end up stalling at stoplights and then if it's not warmed up I have trouble getting it started again. That would all be solved with a neutral light.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:11 AM

Thumbs up Neutral Light

Hello.. I don't believe you will find too many high performance enduro bikes with a neutral light more you r road/trail variety. I understand your frustation but hang in there brother....it's definetly worth it. Personally, here in Australia I don't see too many gassers at all but I have to say, I have never been so happy since buying my 06FSE450

Cheers
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Australia
Old 05-08-2008, 11:47 PM

Do you ever sleep at night? You have 8 million posts on "I made a mistake"...