Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:53 PM

Default Just ordered a new 08 300 ec, need some imput

I finally decided to shed some orange blood and see what all this talk is on suspension and handling of the GG. I'm leaving behind a very good bike ( 07 ktm 300 xcw). I have a few concerns about the GG set-up.
2k2 ignition vs 2k3 ? 07 Ktm has the 2k2 and the dual halogen Acrebis light seems bright enough. We ride trails mostly with some technical. More FWW could be important.
I'm defiantly doing the RB designs head and carb mod.
I like the Hyde pipe and skid combo but I don't know if I can look at it on an everyday basis.Might just do an aluminum skid Carbon F pipe guard.
LTR water pump impeller ? Is this a must ? Do the GG 300s have the boil over issues that the KTM 300's have had ?
I weigh 220 do I need to respring ?
Hand guards ? We have the Enduro Engineering and they are OK but I might try something else if someone has some good suggestions. Moose ?
Does anyone have an opinion of the 08 stock seat ? I'm an old veteran that likes to sit allot.

I'm excited to try some new blood and anyones imput would be greatly appreciated !!!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:13 PM

The stock suspenders are soft for us heavier riders (i am 255lbs). I have never had my 250 boil over with the proper jetting. A LTR jetting kit is the only thing i would do right away. Best $40 i ever spent. The impuller does not become a problem until later on when its getting older. I love the Moose racing hand gaurds. As for the seat Guts makes a nice one for it.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

FYI The EE and Moose guards are the same.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Site Sponsor

I would recommend the heavier 2K3 ignition for the 300. Keep in mind that a flywheel weight can have nearly the same effect with the 2k2 ignition. The difference is the extra 35 watts of power can come in handy if you're running handwarmers etc.

Suspension wise the bikes are pretty close to where they need to be for most riders under 200lbs. Give the bike's suspension some time to break in before you spend money on suspension work. Start with sag set to 110 to 115 and run your forks up about 1/4 inch in the triple clamp.

2 strokes 4 life's thoughts are spot on for boil over issues concening the GG300 as running hot is normally not an issue unless you're jetted lean or running in deep sand for a prolonged period of time.

Whether you do the RB Design mods right away or use a LTR jetting kit you shouldn't have any problems running hot. A good practice is to run the Hi-Lo ignition switch in Lo most of the time esepcially if you concerned about over heating in certain conditions.

The stock 08 seat is actually a pretty good one and I doubt you will be dissapointed but other seat heights and densities are available from Guts Racing.

Have fun with you new GG ride and don't forget to let you KTM buddies ride it once in awhile. Who knows you might be setting a trend.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 05-30-2008, 09:32 AM

I'm totally jealous....but looking (when the stars and $$$ align) to make the change as well from my butterscotch orange 97 250. (that's a keeper forever though)

I've lurked enough to know a bit

Meca Systems aluminum is an awesome skid plate but the Hyde IS super protective
P3 carbon fiber guard if it's available over the E-line which has cheapened
2K2 you can easily add flywheel weights to if needed so no problem here
2K3 is easy switch but you have to purchase it. Heavy flywheel, 110 watt light output so you can run about anything you want. Nice
RB mods are great and I think he has a needle as well otherwise LT
I think the new GG bikes have an aluminum impeller already (someone will know)
Haven't heard much at all about boiling problems with the GG. KTM 300's yes. With a 2K3 you could easily rig up a fan if you were worried about it.
I would respring/revalve for your weight but heck ride it and see how it is.
BRP radiator guards
EE/Moose are the same thing, Cycra, Fastway all nice. BONZ mounts are slick.
The Moose competition shields (not Evolution) are really nice and SUPER flexible (for crashing) which I like. 2 different profiles as well
From those who have an 08 the seat is much better than the 07 BRICK
G2 throttle cam you might like on a 300
Scotts make a beefy rear disk protector
Chain guide looks wimpy but really does the job from all reports. LT makes a beefier upgrade if you desire

I'm sure others will add more

Good luck with it

From jealous Skidad in MA
Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
I'm totally jealous....but looking (when the stars and $$$ align) to make the change as well from my butterscotch orange 97 250. (that's a keeper forever though)

I've lurked enough to know a bit

Meca Systems aluminum is an awesome skid plate but the Hyde IS super protective
P3 carbon fiber guard if it's available over the E-line which has cheapened
2K2 you can easily add flywheel weights to if needed so no problem here
2K3 is easy switch but you have to purchase it. Heavy flywheel, 110 watt light output so you can run about anything you want. Nice
RB mods are great and I think he has a needle as well otherwise LT
I think the new GG bikes have an aluminum impeller already (someone will know)
Haven't heard much at all about boiling problems with the GG. KTM 300's yes. With a 2K3 you could easily rig up a fan if you were worried about it.
I would respring/revalve for your weight but heck ride it and see how it is.
BRP radiator guards
EE/Moose are the same thing, Cycra, Fastway all nice. BONZ mounts are slick.
The Moose competition shields (not Evolution) are really nice and SUPER flexible (for crashing) which I like. 2 different profiles as well
From those who have an 08 the seat is much better than the 07 BRICK
G2 throttle cam you might like on a 300
Scotts make a beefy rear disk protector
Chain guide looks wimpy but really does the job from all reports. LT makes a beefier upgrade if you desire

I'm sure others will add more

Good luck with it

From jealous Skidad in MA
Skidad,
Man you have been wanting one of these forever. I'll trade your jealousy for one p****d off wife !!!! But its getting better.She just stop yelling . Maybe she's got a sore throat or something.
I was looking at the Cycra hand guards.The CRM versions. A bit pricey though.
G fasters will trade ignitions for 125.00. My 07 300 Keep Tinkering More has the 2k2 and my Sons 08 300 has the 2k3. On slow speed technical it is hard to tell the difference. They both have excellent grunt in the basement.The 08 is more tractable in the mid to upper.(slower revving) Neither one will stall unless we are really asking for it.
I would really like to get the stock lighting kit for the GG but it sounds like it is expensive and G fasters is out of stock. Probably go with Acrebis.

Thanks for the replies !
Old 05-30-2008, 01:14 PM

Cycra Probends or Fastway handguards. These are the only two units I'll ride with. I'd get the 2k-2 ignition. It's plenty tractable, can power a headlight just fine (except it's a little dim at idle) and is a lot better when you need to twist the throttle.

Get the Hyde unit or build a custom cage pipe guard. A carbon fiber guard is nothing more than bling. I have the Hyde unit and absolutely love it. Great product.

I would stick the LTR impeller in. Cheap insurance to keep the bike cooler.

08 seat will be fine, but be forwarned ANY european seat is harder than most Japanese seats. I have Guts Tall Soft foam and even it is fairly hard.

The stock halogen headlight for the GasGas is AWESOME. I know they're hard to get and expensive, but I'd say they're worth every penny.

Enjoy your new bike! You're in for a real treat coming off a KTM.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
The stock halogen headlight for the GasGas is AWESOME. I know they're hard to get and expensive, but I'd say they're worth every penny.
Half as much money and looks good. I don't know if the red matches so I ordered black. Quite pleased.

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/3684/PU/2001-0050
Old 05-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ud_luz View Post
Half as much money and looks good. I don't know if the red matches so I ordered black. Quite pleased.

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/3684/PU/2001-0050
I got the red one and you can't hardly tell that it didn't come from the factory.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Or these http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/3679/