Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

If you don't need a bash/skid plate, take it off. It just collects crap during the mud sessions and is a royal pain to clean (I have a Hyde protection system, the ultimate sample collector).

Don't wipe the mud off with your hands, you will scratch the plastic.

If it's above freezing I don't wear under-liners, just a jersey and over the boot pants. Layers causes me to overheat.

Agreed on both goggle suggestions, tear foam out of the top of one pair OR get a dual pane lens. I have rolloffs on a pair with no foam (mud races) and a dual pane lens goggle for rain rides (with minimal mud; ie: desert rain races). The rolloffs cover the vents on the dual pane lens which negates the "no fog" features.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:35 PM

"If you don't need a bash/skid plate, take it off. It just collects crap during the mud sessions and is a royal pain to clean (I have a Hyde protection system, the ultimate sample collector)."

Oh yes you can collect a lot of weight in the Hyde! Even using foam and a crud catcher it will fill up around your exhaust!
Old 12-08-2013, 01:35 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

We have lots of wet ridding and racing practice around here. if you don't ride in the rain in Washington you don't ride.

Your prep: Dual pane goggle lenses and good ol fashion turtle wax. Provides a protective layer and muddy water beads up. Not a fan of Rainx as it adds a rainbow hue to the vision. Always have extra set of goggles and gloves in the pits and a wipe rag. Duct tape around the top of your boots to keep excess mud and water out if you aren't wearing over the boot pants.

Bike prep: Lower tire pressure, Foam in the skid plate, Elephant ears. Nylons over radiators for thick gumbo mud races. Stiffen suspension compression a couple clicks for the additional weight your bike and you will gain. Carb vent lines etc..

Racing: Be smart, make the right line decisions when the going gets tough. Momentum is your friend. Even if you have to stop for a second or two to servey the situation the time and energy saved will be well worth the couple seconds lost. Don't ride on someone's rear tires roost. Be aggressive and in the passing lane when approaching another racer.

Have fun.
Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:19 PM

AZRick, where is our trophy winning ride report???

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 PM

The 2011 250R was primed for the race. New low profile rubber on two-year old Bib Mousse. 48mm Zokes in for a second increase in rebound damping. Set up mostly to contend for the half-sand, while being tolerable for the quarter-rock, and quarter-hard pack. Not too bad.

The Lectron metering rod was unchanged for the 3,000 feet and 47F temps, but I leaned the Power Jet a quarter turn to get rid of a touch of top-end burble.

The rain (snow) clouds were far enough away that I figured it wouldn't. Be a factor. I was correct. The dirt was perfect, reported the C racers who raced 4 hours earlier. Just moist enough to keep the dust down. No mud or puddles anywhere.

The wind had kicked up to a out 25 mph as the start time for the B race approached. I spent my time in a pal's RV, staying warm and trying to stretch out my spasming lumbar. My back had been nearly symptom free for three months, then last week it began to tighten up increasingly. Max dose of ibuprofen and off to the starting line.

The 11 of my 50B class lined up and waited. I had a thin Klim enduro jacket on on top of my other gear which was supplemented with some thin poly propolene long johns from my hang gliding days. As my line prepared to take the flag I gave the jacket to a buddy. I was pretty sure I would be too warm in it.

The flag dropped and I was 2nd off the line (I should've started in 2nd gear as per usual). That cost me my usual hole shot that I get in fron of a class that are all faster than me unless it is very technical.

We did three 10+ mile loops at an average speed of 15mph. There were very few high speed sections and those measured only a couple hundred yards each.

Through 33 (no pit) miles, this is the first race where I didn't drop the bike, tip over or even come to a stop. I came close, but I was always going forward. And, for a short time during the race, my back loosened up and was almost no issue. This is pretty common. On the ride home, however, it started to tighten up, and I forgot my ice bag. It's still stiff today, even after taking a muscle relaxer. Curse you, bulging vertebral discs !
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM

I feel you on the bulging disc. I have 4 of them. C3 C4 and L5 S1. Neck doesn't flare up much anymore, but my tailbone butt cheek area Sciatic does every day. It is a bitch to manage, but I'm just used to the pain now that I don't care. Good thing about is that riding doesn't seem to set it off, just other movements. So I consider myself lucky.

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 12-09-2013, 10:39 PM

Daily ice and multiple 20-second sessions on the inversion table for me.