Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Keihin PWK Needle Chart

A fellow member (jhendr3702) sent this needle chart to me. It provides a nice description of the needle codes for Keihin PWK carbs. I'm creating a "sticky" for future reference.

CLICK ON THE THUMBNAIL BELOW TO ENLARGE:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BasicKehinNeedle.jpg (90.5 KB, 3123 views)

Old 05-13-2011, 09:20 AM

Much better than the poor images from elsewhere. Thanks
Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 PM

Default Which Needles?

I purchased a used 2003 EC250 and with it is an envolope full of jets and needles. After searching the web I have not found any clear information regarding the needles I now posses. They are as follows: N1EC, N1EG, N1EE, and NBHK. Can anyone help me as to what needles these are? Thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRRacing View Post
I purchased a used 2003 EC250 and with it is an envolope full of jets and needles. After searching the web I have not found any clear information regarding the needles I now posses. They are as follows: N1EC, N1EG, N1EE, and NBHK. Can anyone help me as to what needles these are? Thanks
Just in case you haven't found your answer, yet, I thought I'd reply.
the jet needles that GasGas put in the Keihin carbs were the "N1E" series.
The N1EC, N1ED, N1EE, and N1EF (progressively leaner as you go down the alphabet) were what came in the older models. Around 2005, we started seeing the N1EG jet needles.

In this series, I prefer the N1EG. When we started using that needle, we were finally able to get our bikes to idle without bottoming out the throttle stop screw. In my 2006 DE300, I ran it with the "Jesus clip" in the second groove from the top. (along with a 42 pilot and a 175 or 178 main, according to the temps outside).

I don't have a chart, so I'm not sure of the NBHK.

Matt,
Thanks again for posting the chart. It sure has come in handy.

Good Riding!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 03-11-2015, 04:38 AM

Default Gas gas ec 300 2009

Hey I noticed this post and was hoping you could help me I have a gas gas ec300 09 I am trying to get It to run a bit ritcher and have limited knowledge on how to jet my carb it is a kehnin pwk 38 mm the previous owner told me he had changed the needle on inspection I found a needle stamped chn I also got the other needle which is a n1ef I contacted gas gas and they told me the stock needle is a n1eg I am lost as to what to do next I haven't checked my main jet yet I thought I could just lift my needle 1 clip position but it was already at the top I only suspect it is running lean because my exhaust has no oily residue at all and has a slightly brown tinge not grey the spark plug dosent look to bad just chacole black I would apriceate any advice
Old 03-11-2015, 06:54 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

list what elevation range u ride,your avg temp range,what fuel octane/oil ratio u use,clip position and what jets u have now,(slide # if able) and someone will have a good starting suggestion.alternatively trawl thru the jetting database for similar bike operating in similar conditions to get an idea.how does it feel riding it?any starting/idle issues?bogging when you crack open quickly?the n1eg is I think 1 step leaner in diameter than n1ef(assuming your main is stock?)dont know about the chn.when you say the needle is at the top(highest/richest position)you mean the clip is in the lowest slot right?clip in top slot is leanest,lowest needle position.just wondering as the needle in it(n1ef)is richer than stock(n1eg),and would be surprising if it needed the richest clip slot also
Old 03-12-2015, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the quick reply I checked the jets today I currently run the chn needle clip on bottom slot (richest)a #7 slide a 175 main and 40 pilot I run 50.1 mix with the highest octain fule available usually 98 or 96 and always at sea level temperature usualy about 25 degrees c or 77 f according to gas gas the stock nedle is a n1eg and the pilot is a 35 everything else is as above to be honest I have found the bike to perform exeptionaly well all round so I don't want to make drastic changes i would like to make it run just slightly richer all round I have tried putting the n1ef nedel on the top clip position ( leanest) this needle is alot thinner than the chn but this makes it idel rough and smoke a lot I'm guessing its to rich I'm tempted to buy the n1eg needle and try that but would like a second opinion I don't expect the bike to be perfect just want it to last a long time
Its in imaculate condition its pretty much bran new has only done 700 km of road use and is now being used off road I really want to jet it and leave it alone ill mesure the chn needle tomorrow thanks again for your intrest its really apriciated
Old 03-12-2015, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

CHN is WAAAAAY too lean. It comes with the bike to be used with emissions control measures (choked up air intake and catylic converter in the pipe). I doubt you have these, but worth checking.

Check the carb model - AS1 or AS2.
Check the float for said model, and request a starting point.
Stock needles rarely fit the bill.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:24 PM

Good to know i won't be putting that needle back in I am certan I don't have emission pipe and catalatic converter just a stock long muffler unless the cat is built into that I how do I request a starting point should I start a new discussion what's your thoughts on going for the n1eg needle would it be richer than the chn?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by m nipper View Post
Good to know i won't be putting that needle back in I am certan I don't have emission pipe and catalatic converter just a stock long muffler unless the cat is built into that I how do I request a starting point should I start a new discussion what's your thoughts on going for the n1eg needle would it be richer than the chn?
If you have the AS2 carburetor, which has the screws holding down the top of the carburetor instead of the top being threaded and screwing onto the carb (AS1), you will want to go to a different jet needle than the N1EG.

If you have the older AS1 carburetor, Try the N1EG with the clip in the second groove from the top, a 42 pilot, and your 175 main jet. This is what I used on my 2006 DE300 with the AS1 carburetor.

If you have the AS2 carburetor, then get a Suzuki RM250 or a YZ250 needle, such as a NEDW or NEDJ (what I use) with a 40 or a 42 (what I am using) pilot jet and the 175 main jet. That should be a good startiing point for your jetting.
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/