Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 04-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Tubliss with trials tire

I have been running the Tubliss system for nearly a year now. I have said it before, and I'll say it again here. Tubliss is the most cost effective, best modification I've ever done on an off road motorcycle.
Many of us know a trials tyre is a good, long lasting tire with great traction in most places. I have found with the Tubliss that any knobby is fantastic because you can run such low tire pressures. In my experience, the Dunlop MX 31 is thet best tire for my conditions, and frankly makes the trials tire unnecessary. However, I am curious and there is a local riding spot that as much as requires a trials tire. So, I bought one and mounted it up on my Tubliss equipped wheel. So, to the point.

The trials tire with 6psi worked very very very well for me this week. I took it out Wednesday in a downpour, and showed that it still doesn't work in gooey conditions, and has absolutely no braking traction in the same . However, today I went to another local riding spot, and found that it worked very well. While the braking traction is nearly nonexistent, it can be overcome with a modification of riding technique, mostly just waiting for something the tire can grab onto. The beauty of the trials tire with the Tubliss is that it works exactly the same as on a real trials bike. Trials riders often ride with as little as 2psi in their rear tire, and they can do unreal things. I was able to do crazy stuff with this tire today. Mostly over some rocks and logs, but suffice it to say that it works far better without a tube. One can actually run a low enough pressure in the trials tire without fear of pinch flat to make it work like it was designed to work.

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 AM

What trials tire did you run?

I modified a trials tire by cutting out every third row of knobs. My intent was to improve snow traction. I have yet to test it in the snow. With 1 short ride on it I found it provides much better traction in the loose rocks/soil. Otherwise, it functions about the same.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:27 PM

I am running the Dunlop D803.

We ran into some snow yesterday, and the snow is not where that tire shines, for sure. Though I didn't suffer any more than the other blokes in our crowd.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Site Sponsor

i ran mx31 rear, tubliss, 6lbs today and it was amazing. no traction issues anywhere. grippy as a trials tire.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 04-18-2010, 07:59 PM

Agreed. The trials tire with no tube lets you play on rocks and logs like a trials rider would, but for trail riding, the MX 31 with 6 psi is truly better, mostly because it works EVERYWHERE.
I'll continue to run the trials tire because the private riding area I get to practice at nearby is a stickler for riders having them.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 AM

How technical a trail have you succesfully ran the knobby/Tubliss? How about wet uphill rock faces, off camber slabs, skinned logs, etc. The rains hear have put a hurtin on the trails and upped the level of difficulty on some hills. The trials tire still works great, I'll consider the Tubliss/knobby but do not want to give anything up.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Site Sponsor

i only ran the mx31/tubliss/6lbs on a fast harescramble course, lotsa rock, lotsa loose rock/root uphills, lotsa offcamber stuff. fast, but not particularly technical.. i was on the rear wheel up all hills. no spinning at all.. it felt like a trials tire on uphills for sure. this is on a 200 where there's not as much grunt.. i had to change technique a bit, as i'm used to the knobby spinning more.. i've run trials tires in the past, but cornering and wet stuff was just too unpredictable.

the knobby should be better in the wet at speed... i don't think anything is gonna replace a trials tire for dry log crossings or rocks.. but the knobby gives you so much more.. predictable turning, hooks up on the sidewall, doesn't swap in mud, slides predictably, etc...

www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 04-19-2010, 09:23 PM

Amazingly, the Dunlop MX 31 with 6psi Tubliss grips and crawls logs and rocks. It's not quite the same as the trials tire, but it is better than the trials tire on everything that looks like dirt.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-20-2010, 04:09 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
Amazingly, the Dunlop MX 31 with 6psi Tubliss grips and crawls logs and rocks. It's not quite the same as the trials tire, but it is better than the trials tire on everything that looks like dirt.
yep - i was totally unhappy with the mx51 (wore out really fast), i was ready to switch back to s12's (i switched because once s12's wear a bit, they loose so much traction.....)

i figured i'd try the mx31. at 10-12 lbs it was ok, similar to s12. at 6lbs, it grips like a trials tire. i'm sticking with mx31, traction was never an issue, it didn't wallow/sidewall flex at high speed. i'm sold on it.

have you had a chance to run the mx31 in really wet conditions?

now if i can just figure out a front. i'm running pirelli scorpion xc front, it's a nice tire but grabs the sides a bit too much in ruts, and climbs out/tracks up the side maybe more than i would like.

www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 04-20-2010, 08:35 PM

I have used it in very wet conditions! Man, that's all we have had for the last few months. This is the best tire I've ever used, period.
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ONLY TRIED THE REAR!!!!!!!

Dude, the MX 31 front is even more impressive than the rear. Run it at 6 psi, you'll never use another tire. The conditions here are just flat gnarly. We have sloppy mud, we have hawaiian ice (wet red clay with monkey snot on top), imbedded rocks, of course, slick logs. I also have tried it in the desert with equal results, though our desert has lava rock amongst the sand and is hard on soft terrain tires because the knobs are so far apart that they tend to tear. The MX 31 held up much better than S12's have.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs