Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
sprayed new bendix liberally with white lithium grease, temperatures in the 60s.
It could be the grease causing it to hang up. I recommend you remove the starter motor and small cap, then lift out the Bendix unit (watch for shims).

Hold the Bendix open and wash it out with WD40/varsol/brake cleaner etc. Make sure you slide the covers open to get at everything so all the grease is removed. Blow it out with compressed air, then oil it with a light motor oil. Re-install and let us know what happens.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shang View Post
Maybe pull the starter and hit the button to see if the bendix it operating properly?
This will only confirm that the starter motor turns. The GG Bendix is not built into the starter head like you would find in an old automotive starter. I had them on a 47 Frazer and a 54 Studebaker. A modern shift fork style starter is more reliable than a plain Bendix type starter. I remember having to rock the Studebaker once (in gear) to move the flywheel a bit so the starter teeth could engage.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:16 AM

I may have found the problem. I did not mention that when I first started working on my bike to make the electric start work better I actually partially disassembled the starter motor itself. It seemed to go back together just fine but it appears that it now runs backwards. That would explain why the original bendix suddenly quit working altogether and the new one didn't do any better. Any suggestions on what I did to screw it up?
Old 04-25-2015, 07:30 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
I may have found the problem. I did not mention that when I first started working on my bike to make the electric start work better I actually partially disassembled the starter motor itself. It seemed to go back together just fine but it appears that it now runs backwards. That would explain why the original bendix suddenly quit working altogether and the new one didn't do any better. Any suggestions on what I did to screw it up?
Silly question, but have you switched the wires around? It's a DC motor, so that is the only way that I (not being an electrician) could conceive running an electric motor in reverse. I have rewired my starter, but I seem to remember all of the wires being black. It is worth the time to investigate wire routing. The wire from the solenoid (positive) should run to the bolt on the side of the starter motor, and the ground should run to the case of the motor.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:28 AM

I agree with Phil, you've got the polarity backwards.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:49 AM

I don't understand this - I didn't do anything to the wiring but unbolt the big power lead that goes to the starter. I then removed the 2 long bolts that hold the starter together and pulled the two ends off. Next I inspected the armature and put everything back together. Somehow doing just that reversed the polarity on the starter so it ran backwards. I took it apart again and now it's spinning in the right direction and engages the flywheel. Neither time did I do any changing inside the starter motor - wiring wasn't touched, brushes weren't removed - nada - the 2 bolts were removed allowing the motor to be separated into 4 pieces: 2 end caps, armature, and magnet sleeve/case that surrounds the armature. Everything looked ok so I jut put it back together. Same thing twice - first time messed it up second time fixed it - go figure.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:44 PM

Haven't heard of it before, but strange things do happen. Nice to see it was a simple "fix".
Old 05-19-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I don't understand this - I didn't do anything to the wiring but unbolt the big power lead that goes to the starter. I then removed the 2 long bolts that hold the starter together and pulled the two ends off. Next I inspected the armature and put everything back together. Somehow doing just that reversed the polarity on the starter so it ran backwards. I took it apart again and now it's spinning in the right direction and engages the flywheel. Neither time did I do any changing inside the starter motor - wiring wasn't touched, brushes weren't removed - nada - the 2 bolts were removed allowing the motor to be separated into 4 pieces: 2 end caps, armature, and magnet sleeve/case that surrounds the armature. Everything looked ok so I jut put it back together. Same thing twice - first time messed it up second time fixed it - go figure.
I've read about 10 threads (including the 11 pager) and this is the first I have seen something about the starter spinning the wrong direction..and I'm pretty sure I did the exact same thing to mine last night. Took the starter apart just like you described, put it back together (didn't think much of it).. pulled the bendix and stretched the spring and kept tinkering and never could get another engagement. At least before it would partially engage. I wondered if the starter could be spinning backwards but I didn't think so because I wired it back exactly the same.. I'll find out tomorrow! Thanks for posting this up.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:35 AM

I bought a starter out if a 2014 Suzuki drz400. Same numbers as my starter but it ran backwards. Switched wires all us good
Old 05-21-2016, 01:32 AM

I helped a friend rebuild his KTM starter and when we assembled it we got the timing wrong. It would spin backwards. If you've had it apart, it can bolt together 180 degrees out.
1997 KX60
1983 Yami Tri-Zinger
1984 Suzuki Alt 50
1969 Trail 90
1971 Trail 90
1972 Trail 90