Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:25 PM

Default Gt32 327cc rebuild question (splitting case)

I have a 1992 contact 32 that I'm rebuilding . I'm splitting the case to get the crankshaft out . Im new to these engines so I was wondering if anyone knows if there's a special way or side to take off first to keep the gears from falling or getting displaced. Im thinking about laying it on the mag side and lifting the other side off? I've split and rebuilt a bunch of cases but only a few motorcycle bottom ends . If anyone has advice ?

Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 AM

http://www.gasgas.com/tech.htm

Good info here....if you cant find the info you want try contacting Jim Snell direct.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:12 AM

Im not familiar with that engine.If you want to do quick and easy.Its tricky.Depends on the engine, but usually you would pull the counter shaft case half away from the clutch side.
You will still have to pull the outer clutch cover case and remove the crankshaft drive gear on that side to get the crank out and probaby find a few other things that have to be removed like a hidden case bolt or something else in there.

This would be a typical 2 stroke with counter shaft sprocket and mag-stator left side.Clutch right side.Scenario.

Last edited by gasgasxc; 04-29-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:27 PM

That's kinda what I figured . It's all ready to pull apart now , just haven't done it yet .
Thanks
Old 05-01-2015, 09:01 AM

Try to seperate the at this point "top case"from the bottom case leaving the crankshaft assembly in the bottom half.It will be easier to work the case away without the crankweight.
Then you can remove the crank from the other half.

You can pull the seal behind the mag-stator and find a long socket or a good steel piece of pipe that fits over the shaft and about the same outer id as the inner race of the main bearing.
Break the case loose with a soft blow hammer, once the case feels loose heat the pipe in the oven or use a torch and hold it against the inner race for about 30 seconds, case should slip right off.You can use that tecnique in other places on the bike.

Use a soft blow hammer only and be patient.Absolutely no prying anywhere.
The dowel pins can be very stubborn at times.

Case splitters are good if you know what you are doing.Ive seen alot of damage done with them.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:40 PM

I actually got it all split with all the gears still intact. I left all the exterior gears under the clutch cover and turned it on its side with the mag side up then started lifting . It took some work wiggling and pulling but she came right apart and the gears are all still in place ! Now it's just put some new bearings in !